Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Do these go in hold luggage or hand luggage. Will they get damaged in hold luggage?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, bored? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
put it on your head Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To avoid the issue, simply ingest he helmet prior to flying, and expel it in the usual manner on arrival. Remember to carefully wrap the helmet before swallowing as stomach acids may damage the finish. Also some yoga lessons may help with the expulsion.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm getting a faint sense that some snowheads are perhaps not taking this question seriously?

The answer is they may get damaged in hold luggage (seems to be a personal challenge amongst some handlers) and if the manufacturers are to be believed, may suffer damage that is invisible to the eye. So hand luggage it is. Good luck trying to fit it in the gauge!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Had luggage, as above ^^^
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alright sanman how about... Ladies why not transport 2 helmets for free by fashioning them into a stylish and supportive brassiere. Your chesticles will stay safe and secure, admired and feared in equal measure, clad in polycarbonate and foam armor while allowing you extra room in your hand luggage.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very Happy I like it
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sanman wrote:
I'm getting a faint sense that some snowheads are perhaps not taking this question seriously?

The answer is they may get damaged in hold luggage (seems to be a personal challenge amongst some handlers) and if the manufacturers are to be believed, may suffer damage that is invisible to the eye. So hand luggage it is. Good luck trying to fit it in the gauge!

so, if they go in hand luggage...

where do my boots go?

Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sanman wrote:

clarky999 wrote:

In Grenoble airport there are many signs saying Helmets and Boots Must go in the hold and NOT in cabin bags. Much re packing being done before getting to security.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shoogly wrote:
sanman wrote:

where do my boots go?

Very Happy

you squeeze your helmet into one of your boots!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As per my post in "Boots as Handluggage"

Quote:
Why not simply carabiner them to your keys and claim they are a novelty key-ring, then keep them in your pocket. no problems with luggage.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing wrote:

In Grenoble airport there are many signs saying Helmets and Boots Must go in the hold and NOT in cabin bags. Much re packing being done before getting to security.

really? didn't notice the signs (but then I wasn't really paying much attention). Helmets went with us in hand luggage, and security didn't seem to mind.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shoogly wrote:
sanman wrote:

where do my boots go?

Very Happy

Don't worry about other passengers just fill the overhead locker with your stuff...but make sure you get on first with speedy boarding!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I do confidently expect to one day get onboard an low-cost flight and be presented with a scene resembling a cliché south-american bus journey, complete with old ladies carrying 4.2 tonnes of firewood, someone carrying live chickens in a cage, and the sounds of someone birthing their latest young'un from the back.
latest report
It will be fine in hold luggage - just wrap up well with thermals etc.
snow conditions
shoogly,

Quote:

where do my boots go?

Put them on your head?

Very Happy
snow report
You have a kid, and you put your boots in their hand luggage allowance. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Richard_Sideways,
Quote:

I do confidently expect to one day get onboard an low-cost flight and be presented with a scene resembling a cliché south-american bus journey

Likewise. Jet2 GVA to EMA on 3rd Jan was pretty close TBH.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
In Grenoble airport there are many signs saying Helmets and Boots Must go in the hold and NOT in cabin bags.

I honestly don't know how they can get away with saying or enforcing that when the carrier and the law is happy for you to take them. That said, there's little point arguing with them at security.

It really does annoy me though, especially as once through security you can buy a litre of gin that would be much more effective as an offensive weapon if that is their reasoning for stopping you taking boots. Some security rules are, frankly, mindless.

Mind you, I tend to only take boots hand luggage on the way out (avoiding the hassle of renting faff if hold luggage doesn't turn up), but pack them in hold for the return flight.
latest report
 brian
brian
clarky999 wrote:

As in, I had luggage before I gave it to the airline to lose? Sad
snow conditions
Gazzza wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:
In Grenoble airport there are many signs saying Helmets and Boots Must go in the hold and NOT in cabin bags.

It really does annoy me though, especially as once through security you can buy a litre of gin that would be much more effective as an offensive weapon if that is their reasoning for stopping you taking boots. Some security rules are, frankly, mindless.

Isn't booze all in plastic bottles now from duty free shops? Unless you plan on drinking the gin before the flight and becoming the offensive weapon Smile
snow report
hammerite wrote:

Isn't booze all in plastic bottles now from duty free shops? Unless you plan on drinking the gin before the flight and becoming the offensive weapon Smile

No, plenty of it is in glass bottles still.
latest report
It is actually quite hard to find plastic bottles in duty-free. I prefer them when I can get them, but it isn't common.

snowHead
snow report
I must buy the cheap stuff Embarassed
snow report
All in all, airport security is just a complete and utter farce.

So they take bottles of water off you at security, but you can (after security, just prior to boarding the flight):
a) Buy a swiss army knife in Geneva airport
b) Buy a steak and chips in Newcastle airport, and get given a Rambo-esque steak knife.

Absolute joke.
ski holidays
Have Grenoble changed their policy? I saw a few people with helmets and boots getting on to my EasyJet flight last weekend. I hadn't actually looked for any signs as I had read previous reports here and packed boots into hold.

I did find the guy on security to be overly officious, as well as the fact that you had to have your boarding pass and passport checked to get to passport control, then passport checked at passport control, and then finally show your boarding pass to get through security.
snow report
If mine broke in hold luggage, I would go and buy a better one to put my head in.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:
sanman wrote:

clarky999 wrote:

Luckily for me Munich, Zurich, Salzburg and Innsbruck (and Aberdeen, Birmingham, Gatwick and Heathrow) are always ok with it clipped to my backpack wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy