Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LDA or La Plagne for Feb half term?

Poster: A snowHead
A friend and I are heading away at half term, both of us are teachers so have no choice over dates and we are both also going at Easter too on school trips etc so it has to be that week.

Because of budget, where we've both been before and the fact we're UCPA fans etc we've narrowed it down to the UCPA at either La Plagne or Les Deux Alpes but are now struggling to decide between the two. UCPA at La Plagne includes the local La Plagne pass so the extra mileage of Les Arcs doesn't really make a difference...

Which would you go for?! Thanks in advance for any replies as we literally can't decide between the two and are going round in circles trying!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VWLP, Hmm. I can see that's a hard choice. Is there any difference in the tuition packages being offered? If the LDA one offers some off piste they might take you to La Grave?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd go to La Plagne, that's only because I've never been there before and went to L2A at Christmas Smile (nothing wrong with L2A, would just like to try other resorts before I go back).

Can you upgrade the La Plagne ski pass to get the Discovery so you get 1 day over at Les Arcs included?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
VWLP, La plagne Le France is quite nice, the building is a former hotel, so they have better facilities. Also, La plagne really has enough skiing on its own, no need for the connection with Les Arcs
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not a huge amount to chose between the resorts. I would say that skiing wise La Plagne has more to offer all round. I tend to think of Deux Alpes as a place to go for beginners or tough blacks. La Plagne has plenty of cruising for intermediates. What sort of skiing are you looking for? You might, also, find it easier to get away from the half-term crowds at La Plagne. Deux Alpes seems to collect people together more.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Half term is horrendous in La Plagne huge traffic queues to get there, huge lift queues when you are there, they even widen the pistes in some areas to cope with the sheer numbers of skiers. (It's mainly skiers because the boarders don't like all the flat places) Queue again to get over priced spag bol in the mountain restaurants (quite a few are self service canteens) charging up market restaurant prices.
I'm sure L2A won't be as busy and there is a really nice lady in the lift pass office there who speaks passable Scottish Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are a teacher then half-term is all there is (apart from Christmas and Easter of course!) so you just have to put up with it. La Plagne is very popular and pretty busy all the time.

I think the issue is what sort of level of skiing the OP is looking for.

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
says he smugly, not having to worry anymore wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B, I am trying to be objective, but yes, it is great to have opportunities to go at other times. I know you are a 2 Alpes enthusiast. Do you think I am being fair to the resort?

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish, I haven't been at half term but have heard it is busy too. I think everywhere in France is.

I don't actually think LDA is that good for beginners, it certainly has plenty of tougher stuff. It's also not fantastic for those who want to do mega-miles on piste although 150km keeps me busy. I like it there. I haven't been to La Plagne so can't compare the two.

Your opportunity to avoid school holidays is well earned I'm sure.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B, My thinking was in relation to absolute beginners. I would imagine starting off on the magnificent glacier (at Deux Alpes) would be a great introduction to the magic of skiing. I would say that La Plagne is better for intermediates as there are plenty of cruisy blues.

snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Bish, They start on the runs around the town then move onto Les Cretes I think. The Glacier runs are actually a little steeper (for a beginner that is).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If I'd have gone up there as a beginner the first time I did I'd have been terrified. Couldn't see a thing, it was extremely windy, and I kept hitting small mounds of snow (which I couldn't see). Took about 10-15 mins to ski just over a km (the run next to the t-bars). Couple of days later, wind had dropped, perfect blue skies and it took about 2 mins to ski.

I think it's a bit cold for beginner lessons up there if you are standing around for longer, plus I'd be pretty annoyed if I spent the first 30 mins of my lesson on the Jandri and had to download that way too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still mulling it over and getting no where - think it could be time to flip a coin! Will be doing half day lessons with UCPA, they are pretty good and in the past we've got at least a couple of half days off piste - that said I'm certainly no expert off piste (or on piste either for that matter! Very Happy ) so I think what we would do would be much of a muchness in either resort.

I think possibly I'm leaning towards LDA, I like the idea of a less "motorway" type resort and the comments of it being challenging make it appealing. Whilst I am no way near knowledgeable/experienced enough to go off piste without a guide/instructor I do enjoy the challenge of runs that are left unpisted; do the blacks in La Plagne/LDA tend to be left? The location of the UCPA in La Plagne however looks fab, right on the piste. Decisions decisions!!

Huge thanks for your replies! snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing, she's Scottish? She's really nice? Wow, learn something new every day Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
VWLP, There are some blacks at LDA which are never pisted and some are not pisted every day.
snow report
VWLP, If it is blacks you want then 2 Alpes is your choice. Pisted or not, there is plenty to scare even an experienced skier. (Well, me anyway!)

snowHead
latest report
The big complaint we get in La Plagne is that the blacks don't get pisted. Occasionally a few of them are knocked down but most are never touched. If it snows they also usually leave the reds like Hari-Kiri and Kamikaze for a day or two as well. Indeed the lack of pisteing in general is what many of us love about La Plagne and others hate. On top of that apart from the area around Salla virtually all off-piste is skiable.

La Plagne has two wooded areas for low visibility/snowy days and now has a new black back from the Bellecote glacier called Derochoir

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/News.htm (see news 20th December 2010)

If you're the type who might like La Grave then come to La Plagne, hire a guide and try the North Face of the Bellecote Shocked

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Savoie/La-Plagne-Bellecote

N.B. Rochu and Bellecôte blacks have gone now and are considered to be off-piste

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 11-01-11 22:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
But if you're in LDA you can ski the La Grave.
ski holidays
There are 20 green pistes in LDA. I'm sure greens exist in La Plagne but apart from the one that goes under the UCPA building I'd defy you to find the others NehNeh
ski holidays
Go to L2A because I'm going there too Very Happy
latest report
We skiid Le Plagne last Easter right at the end of the season and people left over from the previous week did say it had been really busy.
We normally ski in the 3 valleys and we did find the skiing there softer and not as demanding in comparison but did enjoy the full length & width of the resort with utilising the Vanois express to gain access to Les Arc many times.

The one real benifit is that with the Paradiski pass you are allowed 1 free day skiing in either Tignes or the 3 valleys. We took the option of a day out in Tignes, which allowed us to sample a great resort without any additional ski pass costs - although we did have use of a hire car so this may not be an option for you.

We've not skiid les deux Alps so can;t really comment but friends who have enjoyed it.

Noisey
ski holidays
noisey, if you skied on La, that's La Plagne last Easter my guess is that the snow was pretty wet and slushy and most if the blacks were closed. Don't get me wrong I think 3 Valleys is a great ski area Saulire, Mont Vallon and the 4th Valley being particular favourites but there there is plenty of tough skiing in La Plagne if you want it but as always it depends on weather and conditions. I guess you realised that when standing on the Grand Rochette you are actually looking down on Courchevel and across the 3 valleys.

The big advantage of La Plagne/ Les Arcs/Paradiski over 3 Valleys is the vast distances you can cover without feeling you are either going out to VT or back to Courchevel with Meribel stuck in between.

Next time you come across try the blacks down the front of the Auguille Rouge in Les Arcs or Comborciere.

It's great for anyone coming for two weeks or a season to be able to go to Tignes or 3 Valleys on you pass but with so much to ski across Paradiski how would you have time to fit it in?

LDA has La Grave. If that is your bag then a chance to do that is a must not to be missed but IMHO without that LDA is a bit "lets go up and then come down again". In La Plagne with four mounatains, two wooded areas, a glacier, unlimited off-piste and the bonuses of Champagny which most people only discover by accident because the little square at the top of the map can never do this area justice and the sublime Chalet Forperet in Montalbert after skiing the woods for me there is no contest.

Actually La Plagne is rubbish. Please don't come. Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Actually La Plagne is rubbish. Please don't come.

Well said snowHead

Quote:

the sublime Chalet Forperet in Montalbert

Yeah, that's really rubbish, especially as the last stop on the way home as the sun begins to set, out on the decking and you tuck into a really bad crepe enjoying the last rays of sun and then watching the sun set and colouring the mountain tops for miles.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 12-01-11 13:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
It's mainly skiers because the boarders don't like all the flat places

Another reason not to come to La Plagne. rolling eyes Who would want a resort with no boarders? Shocked
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, I'm warming to you. Laughing
snow report
gravystuffing, You've been to that Au bon Vieux temps restaurant and sat by the warming log fire as well then? Toofy Grin
(Which being in La Plagne is overpriced and has lousy service of course)
ski holidays
Quote:

Half term is horrendous in La Plagne huge traffic queues to get there, huge lift queues when you are there

I would have said the same about La Plagne, went there half term in 2007 and the queues were just huge, they do have good fast lifts but it wasn't unusual to queue for 20 minutes, especially mid afternoon. But I have never been to L2A and i suspect it is fair to say all French "mega-resorts" are the same at half term.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sanman, yeah and I would bet that there are no ways to avoid those queues by using other piste / lift routes, it's not as if the resort would produce a leaflet detailing them either Toofy Grin
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
gravystuffing, You've been to that Au bon Vieux temps restaurant and sat by the warming log fire as well then? Toofy Grin
(Which being in La Plagne is overpriced and has lousy service of course)

I hate that place since the new proprietor put those new toilets in. I never take my guests there now. Who would want the cutest Savoyard restaurant spoilt with crappy new designer toilets? Toofy Grin

I perfectly well understand why Val and Courch people never consider La Plagne; it's a complete eyesore Embarassed

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 12-01-11 15:14; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
gravystuffing, At least the flush works now Laughing
PS. I don't know what idiot helped him translate the menu into English, I reckon they must be from Ampshire wink
latest report
sanman wrote:
Quote:

Half term is horrendous in La Plagne huge traffic queues to get there, huge lift queues when you are there

I would have said the same about La Plagne, went there half term in 2007 and the queues were just huge, they do have good fast lifts but it wasn't unusual to queue for 20 minutes, especially mid afternoon. But I have never been to L2A and i suspect it is fair to say all French "mega-resorts" are the same at half term.

On a serious note which lifts did you queue at for 20 minutes and at what time of the day? Methinks you need a guide or some local knowledge to get the best from Paradiski. I'm sure there are plenty of snowHead s who are willing to share "the knowledge" if asked.

On a general note the best time to ski in France is between 12 and 2pm.
snow report
gravystuffing,
Quote:

who are willing to share "the knowledge" if asked

Not if it involves divulging the ways to avoid Bellecote at Half term Cool

gravystuffing,
Quote:

On a general note the best time to ski in France is between 12 and 2pm.

Quite right. Very Happy
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, being a Montalbertite not a Les Cochite I guess you may not know to always go to the left of the queue at L'Arpette then just when the queues splits join the left side of the right-hand queue. Please don't share this information with anyone else as it's a bit of a local secret Madeye-Smiley

p.s. If it's quiet just go straight up the left hand channel past anyone waiting on the right NehNeh
latest report
gravystuffing, I always go up the centre between the two queues Toofy Grin Until New Year when they put a litter bin in the gap Sad
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
gravystuffing, I always go up the centre between the two queues Toofy Grin Until New Year when they put a litter bin in the gap Sad

Any advice on getting back more quickly from Forperet more quickly gratefully received. I tend to head down to La Roche rather than taking Coqs except when I've got guests who would freak out on ice.

I'm looking forward to the new Montalbert gondola. Combine that with poshed up galleries in Plagne Centre and a new Verdons Sud lift La Plagne would be close to being the "perfect resort". Folk still won't come because they think Aime 200 is too ugly for their Val/Courch sensibilities. Lucky us, huh?
ski holidays
gravystuffing, Don't want a Montalbert Gondola just a quicker Fornelet lift! I have never met anyone who wants the Gondola.

The piste down to La Roche from Coqs has been re-graded this past summer and a small new piece of piste built to avoid the sharp hairpin (the one with the safety netting). It was only open the first day of the season and then closed because the river had broken across the piste a hundred meters or so before the bottom. I would guess it is still closed now it needs some cold temps and a couple of good snowfalls to sort it out.
The Fornelet chair is easily avoided if you don't mind using Fornelet II wink (It is closed for lunch each day) Snowcrazy Chris walks his groups back to the Fornelet from the Forperet, or you can ski down to the little drag lift come back up and walk across the car park to Fornelet or else ski back down to the Montalbert lift and back up etc etc

Aime 2000 is now protected as a building of national architectural importance, just like the Barbican in London Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Crikey; thanks for the info regarding Cornegidouille. I knew nothing about that. How come it wasn't covered on Perso LaPlagne?

I'm not out until next week guiding for a Danish company Trierski (wife is Danish). Watch out for me in a red jacket with a big snowflake on the back Shocked Our new chalet won't be ready until Summer 2011.

I guess you saw the update on Perso about the Montalbert gondola (Thursday, August 12, 2010 | Erratum : Montalbert's gondola lift) which said it was basically about "climate change" and getting beginners up and down the mountain. The Plan Bois lift made a huge difference to us in Les Coches but if I lived in Montchavin I think I'd be thinking replacement gondola to the top of the Dos Rond.
snow report
Wow! Thanks for all the info! La Plagne is sounding right up my street; especially the lack of piste bashing. Sounds like there is loads of accessible off piste for lessons etc. The North face of the the Bellecote may just have to wait a few years though!! Very Happy Both places are on my list of places to go so I suppose it's mainly a decision of where to go first, I'm not sure at the moment I would do justice to La Grave, probably just more of a "get down one of the less gnarly routes" situation rather than actually doing it justice. I WILL make a decision tonight!!
snow conditions
gravystuffing,
Quote:

Crikey; thanks for the info regarding Cornegidouille. I knew nothing about that. How come it wasn't covered on Perso LaPlagne?

I happened to see the earthmovers at work because I had to pull over to let a forestry winch go past (it's a road in the summer), Had that not happened I would have been none the wiser as the are they were working on isn't visible from anywhere else. I mentioned it on Perso at the time but didn't have time to take a photo, next time we passed there was no sign of the earth movers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy