Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

See Venice and die

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone thinking of flying into Venice and hiring a car for a trip to the Dolomites should be aware that finding a hire car at Marco Polo fitted with WINTER TYRES is nigh on impossible. Shocked

I know, I couldn't believe it either. But there it is.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Yoda, same at Malpensa (well for Europcar anyway). I got to be the Italian tourist clunking about with chains while drawing odd looks from Swiss locals a couple of Decembers ago. rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, if I'd known this before booking the flights I'd probably have chosen to go to Innsbruck. As it happens we've now decided to get the bus - a bit cheaper too Laughing

Can't believe the Italians though, it's not as if they don't have any snow over there.... Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yoda, naughty thread title Evil or Very Mad There's me getting all excited, because I love Venice, and it's another pesky thread about tyres. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Much more importantly, much more of the time is that the cars aren't filled with winter diesel...

No worries about not having snow tyres when your engine won't start in the first place...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Winter diesel - good point. You can buy a wee bottle of additive in Halfrauds - and keep it in your handbag in case.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Winter diesel - good point. You can buy a wee bottle of additive in Halfrauds - and keep it in your handbag in case.

Ah the joys of hiring and driving from Venice. Done it many times with limited success. Winter tyres are, as you say unheard of, although there are always plenty of good quality and mostly new chains. The real problem is the fuel. Tried to reserve petrol cars every time I have booked to no avail. The diesels are so efficient that by the time you get into the mountains you have hardly used any fuel so topping off with mountain diesel is of little benefit. Having been caught out 4 out of the last five times with "frozen" diesel I have become paranoid and taken to topping off with mountain diesel and adding the fuel additive but guess what, this still didn't work. Have ended up having to pay the hotel for use of their garages. Sad Staying somewhere where I can walk to the lifts this year so if it is that bad all I need to do is use the hotel garage on the last night (hopefully).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've wondered about differences in diesel over the years. Would diesel bought, say, within 100 miles of Calais be "winter" quality diesel? I ask because I typically fill up in northern france (heading to the Alps) and, having a large tank and a car that exceeds 50 mpg don't fill up again until the return journey i.e. car parked at 1600m all week. But I've never had starting issues. I just wonder how different diesel is between UK, northern France and Alpine regions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yoda, we've just returned from Canazei - but flew into Innsbruck specifically because I knew that the car was going to have to go over a couple of mountain passes and sit in the hotel's outside car park.
As usual, Austrian efficiency was worth the slight price difference IMHO.
(BTW, like Hurtle, I thought this would be about one of my favourite cities Evil or Very Mad )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:

Not if you are flying!!

I am with Hurtle, had a look as I love Venice, and lo and behold more tyres!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm happy to change the thread title if someone wants to propose a suitable alternative which would perhaps get this topic more exposure Very Happy

It's not a tyre topic Toofy Grin It's a "how can an airport serving a mountain region possibly think that not having hire cars suitably and safely equipped for that region" is acceptable topic.

As I said, if I'd known this before booking I wouldn't have chosen to go there. Maybe the power of snowHeads' bad publicity will help to change the situation, or maybe the Italians just don't want the business Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Italians also don't ski off-piste so don't bank on hiring off-piste skis (or even all-mountain skis) in most Italian resorts.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, does that mean it won't all be tracked out in the first 30 minutes after a dump? Maybe there is a positive side to this after all... Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy