Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where in Austria to avoid half-term German kids Feb 6th - 13th?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Due to various other things going on, if I'm to get away at all this year it has to be 6th-13th of Feb and we'd like to go to Austria again ideally....I've searched and found the European half-term chart and there is a German half-term for the following areas on my dates....Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Sachsen and Sachsen-Anhalt, I've never heard of any of them!!......Does anyone know where in Austria I'm less likely to run into kids from these areas during that week?

Zone B in France on half-term that week too but I'm assuming they'll stay put in France!? Any other comments re; resorts you went to during German half-term that were not too busy would be appreciated.....Or am I getting worked up about nothing?...I did have a week in Kaprun during NL half-term a few years ago and it was a 30-40 min wait at the bottom station and not much better further up!

Thanks in advance...

Bendy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ben Dover, Those are the northern states from the former East Germany. They will not provide the same masses as New Year or a French half term as there are way more resorts than people! The bottlenecks will be on the autobahns leading into Austria, then the people just seem to spread out . Remember that the Germans also go to France, Switzerland and their own resorts in Germany.

It will be busy anywhere, but not full in the same sense as one of the French half term. The French rarely travel beyond their own borders en masse and even more rarely to the "far" east, unless they are from Alsace or Lorraine. Some of the more knowledgeable and adventurous do travel to other countries and enjoy the non-french atmosphere - I have friends from Alsace, the Loire and Normandie who all have ventured into Austria in the "dreaded Half Term" and found it delightfully empty! Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They're all in northern Germany, immediately either side of what was the iron curtain, so don't panic. They're unlikely to cause a huge influx of people into Austria.

Similarly, I've only ever met four French-speakers in Austria, as they much prefer to go somewhere more expensive and where the waiters have exactly the right degree of surliness and can perform a proper shrug when asked what happened to the coffee.

Your experience of Kaprun doesn't match mine, so I'd think that was a one-off - I've been at least 4 times, and while the queue at the bottom was 15 minutes at peak times, I've never queued for more than 5 above the AlpinCenter, and most times you can ski straight onto a chair with no more than 30 seconds of waiting. However, if the snow conditions are bad elsewhere (Saalbach, Zell, etc), then buses will be bringing everyone from there to Kaprun and it can be heaving.

Personally, and as much as I like it, I'd avoid Kaprun due to the single uplift point and go instead for somewhere like Saalbach, the Zillertal, or Ski Amade (Flachau/Wagrain in particular).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both for your helpful and funny comments...I'm beginning to feel more positive now...Meeting the other two lads for pints tonight to firm up on the trip Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Zone B in France on half-term that week too

I don't think there are any school hols in France that week, they start on 13th.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh, ok Pam...I used the chart one of the snowHeads gave me the link to last year and it states French off from 6th Feb through to 6th March depending on Zone....But for this trip it's going to be Austria for the apres...I just wish I could have the blue skies, great snow and challenging runs of France with the Apres of Austria...Does that exist?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ben Dover, yes.....it does wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Oh, ok Pam...I used the chart one of the snowHeads gave me the link to last year

well that's why the chart gave you last year's holiday dates. wink

Sounds a bit like you are looking for St Anton?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just thought again about your post - I can't believe that France has more blue skies than Austria and better snow. Less of that ghastly oompah oompah though. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
just thought again about your post - I can't believe that France has more blue skies than Austria and better snow. Less of that ghastly oompah oompah though. wink
We love the oompah and the 90's music Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kooky wrote:
Ben Dover, yes.....it does wink

Where Kooky? Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Oh, ok Pam...I used the chart one of the snowHeads gave me the link to last year

well that's why the chart gave you last year's holiday dates. wink

Ya mean they change each year just to make me work harder?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ben Dover,ya think I m gonna tell you????? wink

OK OK........ski Amade, you can´t go wrong although unfortunatetly for me at birth I wasn´t blessed with the gift of second sight so I can´t promise the blue skies, anywhere here will fit your needs. if you like a good challenge you can head up to Sport Gastein(off piste) or the black runs over at Zell am See. Personally if I were you I would head to Schladming, cracking skiing and the Apres at the Hohenhaus Tenne is wild.You wont have any queues, Fasching( carnival time) is usually this week, however this year it falls late, I think it will be a quiet week when you are proposing to stay Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kooky wrote:
Ben Dover,ya think I m gonna tell you????? wink

OK OK........ski Amade, you can´t go wrong although unfortunatetly for me at birth I wasn´t blessed with the gift of second sight so I can´t promise the blue skies, anywhere here will fit your needs. if you like a good challenge you can head up to Sport Gastein(off piste) or the black runs over at Zell am See. Personally if I were you I would head to Schladming, cracking skiing and the Apres at the Hohenhaus Tenne is wild.You wont have any queues, Fasching( carnival time) is usually this week, however this year it falls late, I think it will be a quiet week when you are proposing to stay Very Happy
Thanks Kooky, have been to Zell before....Must take a closer look at Schladming!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy