Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing help!

Poster: A snowHead
Please help me half the amount of stuff I have just packed haha

I'm off on my first snow holiday on saturday and seem to have just packed the entire content of my wardrobe and sat on my suitcase to close it lol

Having not been on a skiing holiday before I have no idea what I need (apart from the paracetamol and plasters I've just packed!)!

I have a decent jacket and two pairs of ski pants. Ski socks are sorted. How many layers is it normal to wear under a ski jacket? I have a set of baselayers but what should I pack to wear over these and under my jacket?

Very girly question but what is the dress code in the bars in the evenings? Do people get dressed up?

Millie x Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear the jacket, don't pack it.
One pair of ski trousers will suffice.
Number of layers depends on how cold it is/how thick the jacket is/ how much effort you put in to skiing.
Jeans and hoodies in the bars.

Empty the suitcase and put at least half back in the wardrobe. Do not pack multiple pairs of shoes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Millie10 wrote:
Please help me half the amount of stuff I have just packed haha

I'm off on my first snow holiday on saturday and seem to have just packed the entire content of my wardrobe and sat on my suitcase to close it lol

This is a boy answer so maybe take better advice from a girl.

Skiing is more a mind thing than a physical thing. If you're going to be scared you'll stand about and get cold. If you're going for it you'll sweat like hell when learning. Don't overdress unless the temperatures plummet and if looks like snowing make sure you have a neck warmer and goggles. In my view a helmet is a must.

Having not been on a skiing holiday before I have no idea what I need (apart from the paracetamol and plasters I've just packed!)!

I have a decent jacket and two pairs of ski pants. Ski socks are sorted. How many layers is it normal to wear under a ski jacket? I have a set of baselayers but what should I pack to wear over these and under my jacket?

Drop one of the ski pants you don't need two. All you need over your base layer is a fleece. Gloves that cover your wrists so there is no gap is the most important thing. Many ladies benefit from having some warm pads in their pocket if they get cold fingers.

Very girly question but what is the dress code in the bars in the evenings? Do people get dressed up?

There is no dress code in terms of dressing up although the right brand T-shirt and hat do make a difference. Seasonaires can spot the "billies" a mile off if they are wearing high heels !!!!

Millie x Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 9-01-11 20:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why 2 pairs of sallopettes? They are very bulky - and there must be some weight. The layers you wear whilst skiing vary to an individual's need. FWIW, for the lower half I find that a pair of Helly Hensen long johns and a pair of quilted sallopettes for the lower half, and a HH long sleeved vest, ski shirt, and shell jacket will be adequate for most days in most resorts in January. I might take a fleece in my back pack, though - or maybe even wear the fleece to start off with. Dress code? For most places think local pub. upmarket hotels may be a little more formal, though.

Have a great holiday.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I second Lizzard!
Maybe a light fleece as a mid layer in case you need it.
And shoes/boots that work in snow/ice/slush. Heels of any kind are unlikely to see the light of day outside your suitcase (unless you are going to a ritzy resort, in which case, I am not the right person to provide packing advice!)

Hope you have a fantastic time!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Most people dress fairly casual in the evenings. I'd say a fleece jumper for the mid layer but a lot depends on how cold you tend to get and how active your skiing is.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
agree - wear the jacket and take only one pair of ski trousers. I take 14 pairs of socks "but thats just me" wink and 14 pairs of pants - stuff them in your shoes/boots. I take two pairs of thermal underwear - change half way through the week. Two fleeces for skiing (so thermal then fleece - normally fine. Once added a layer of my PJ's in freezing Norway January temps Wink ).

I wear my snow boots on the flight if needed as they are quite heavy (Columbia) but they're not cool apres ones Sad but they do the job in the snow

Toiletries are very heavy - take smaller, half filled bottles where possible.

Stuff for the night will depend on you/your situation. Are you self catering? Planning on partying every night?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I only ever wear one base layer under my ski jacket, either a thin fleecy one on cold days or a thin stretchy one on warmer days. I don't normally wear a base layer under my salopettes unless it's really cold.

In the evenings, most people will be wearing jeans and either trainers or snow boots on their feet. No need to pack anything dressy, ski resorts are very informal. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the replies *takes a few things out of the case!* Laughing

As this is my first holiday and seeing as it has already cost me a fortune I must admit I haven't spent a fortune on ski gear although I have a decent jacket and sallopettes. I really haven't put as much thought into underlayers as I maybe should have done. I just have a cheap set of Surfanic base layers from TK MAXX so maybe I need better bace layers?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard wrote:

One pair of ski trousers will suffice.

I would have agreed before I went to Meribel before xmas. More than -20 and one vent zip disintergrated, too cold even for a gaffa tape repair to hold! Ended up having to buy trousers for an obscene amout in Meribel!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beginners should not use a back-pack. Getting on and off lifts as a beginner with a rucksack is a recipe for disaster IMHO

If your coat is any good it should have plenty of pockets. Carry a pack of tissues, a lip salve/suncream and chocolate bar and a small bottle of water.

As Lizzard says do not pack your ski jacket WEAR IT!!!! You will have no need for a second coat. The only exceptions are if you get pissed and lose your jacket moving from one bar to another or it gets nicked from the big pile shoved in the corner or on the floor.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 9-01-11 20:52; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you don't have your own ski boots you only need two lots of footwear. One fairly chunky walking boot type - preferably waterproof, to wear out and about when not skiing. Wear them en route. One very, very, lightweight pair of indoor shoes. Trainers would do (but they're hopeless in snow).

One pair of salopettes.

Wear one pair of jeans/trousers, T shirt, top. Take one other pair of trousers, 2 other T shirts, maybe 2 other tops (hoodies, sweater).

Pyjamas if that is your style.

Wear your ski jacket. Pack neck warmer, hat, gloves, 2 (at the most) sets of base layers (if you have one they will easily dry overnight if you wash them when you come in from skiing at 1630). One warm middle layer - fleece. Can easily be worn all week - you only need one. 2 pairs ski socks.

Unless you know that your room will have room for a suitcase, don't take one. Use a squashy bag - or you might spend the whole week stepping over your suitcase.

Don't have more luggage than you can easily carry yourself up a very snowy path and three flights of stairs, in the dark.

You should be able to ski for a week, easily, with 15 kg of luggage.

Have fun!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shimmy Alcott, I'm staying in a catered challet and hoping to get out as much as possible in the evenings (if I can walk after day 1 lol)

I'm going to be fairly active skiins. I have two hours worth of lessons booked each morning and tend to be out on the snow as much as I can!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Everyone is mentioning fleeces, I don't have a fleece lol.

Do you mean like a fleece jacket or a thinish fleece pull over?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Millie10, so long as you shower and use anti perspirant each day you will be fine with one pair of sallopettes and two pairs of thermals. January is generally very cold but its been mild in some places this year so you could get away with cheap base layers - personally thinking, if you have the money then get some decent ones.
latest report
Millie10, go for a thin fleece - check out camping shops. You want it thin as its under your ski jacket and over other layers.
snow report
The key to warmth is layering of non-absorbent garments. If it's cold I use a thin fleece over the base layer that gives your three layers. If you have a thick fleece you may get very hot as a beginner and end up looking like a teddy bear.

Where are you going/staying so we can see how far you have to get to get home from apres and nights out venues?
snow conditions
Millie10, if you are in a catered chalet why are you planning to go out a lot. You'll be getting back tired for cakes and tea. Then shower or bath and change. by then it will be dinner and then it will be 9 or 10 nd you'll be too tired to go out. unless of course you are really are young party girl. if thats the case when and where are you going Twisted Evil
ski holidays
And with good bathing, three pairs of socks is enough: 3 days plus three days of skiing, plus a third pair of ski socks (or lighter) for apres-ski/travelling. Women only for this advice!
ski holidays
I reckon i now have this sorted...

Have a pair of jeans and a lighter pair of combats/trousers for travelling/evenings
1 pair of trainers (merrells!) that are good enough for walking in snow
1 pair of slippers/socks or something similar for in chalet/hotel/indoors
I tend to wear a clean baselayer/t-shirt/vest top in the evening, then thats what i wear the next day for boarding - so I don't have to have double clothes for evenings and boarding...
1 fleece for boarding, 1 hoodie for evenings

Drop your makeup bag to the bare minimum - I probably only ever use a bit of mascara and lip gloss in the evenings
Same with toiletries - I take small travel versions of a shampoo, conditioner and a shower gel.
For my face I have a posh sunscreen for the day that acts as a moisturiser - then I find I need a rich moisturiser in the evenings but I put it in a small pot so I'm not carting a normal sized one around.
snow report
Millie10 wrote:
Thanks for the replies *takes a few things out of the case!* Laughing

As this is my first holiday and seeing as it has already cost me a fortune I must admit I haven't spent a fortune on ski gear although I have a decent jacket and sallopettes. I really haven't put as much thought into underlayers as I maybe should have done. I just have a cheap set of Surfanic base layers from TK MAXX so maybe I need better bace layers?

Get to your nearest Aldi, with a bit of luck they will still have the merino thermals in stock (plenty in my local branch yesterday), won't cost much more than the cheapo from TK Maxx and will stay a lot nicer over the course of the week!
Some cheap, lightweight fleeces from somewhere like Decathlon (or Aldi might have some in still as well)
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
If you don't have your own ski boots you only need two lots of footwear. One fairly chunky walking boot type - preferably waterproof, to wear out and about when not skiing. Wear them en route. One very, very, lightweight pair of indoor shoes. Trainers would do (but they're hopeless in snow).

One pair of salopettes.

Wear one pair of jeans/trousers, T shirt, top. Take one other pair of trousers, 2 other T shirts, maybe 2 other tops (hoodies, sweater).

Pyjamas if that is your style.

Wear your ski jacket. Pack neck warmer, hat, gloves, 2 (at the most) sets of base layers (if you have one they will easily dry overnight if you wash them when you come in from skiing at 1630). One warm middle layer - fleece. Can easily be worn all week - you only need one. 2 pairs ski socks.

Yup, even my very messy but very fashion conscious kids (girls 7, 11 and 15) adopt that as their skiing holiday packing list.
snow report
A friend of mine take 3 ski jackets and two pairs of pants so that she can mix and match her outfits. I'm sure she smuggles stuff into her families bags though. It does make it vital to remember what the hell she's wearing each day though as I keep forgetting and losing her Laughing
snow report
Minimum: One pair of sallopettes (def. only one of these), one ski jacket, one pair of decent boots - travel in them wear them when you are there - must be good enough to walk through snow in (I use walking boots, but you can also buy special boots for snow use outdoors from places like Bargain boards which might go by the description of 'snow-boots), one pair of ski gloves, one pair goggles and whatever else you need for your eyes, one woolly hat and helmet if you use one' ski socks (these are my weakness I like clean socks and take a pair for each day, however, they are bulky and if you are going to get a decent radiator to dry them on many take just 2-3 pairs and a mini bottle of detergent wash), undies - ditto socks, sports bra x 2 and ordinary bra for evenings, you can get by on two sets of skiing underwear, but three is handy, again can wash between uses, I find thin polo neck jumpers (2 a penny almost in Primarks are good to pack - take up no space and I take two tops made of 'fleece' in whatever style you fancy. Layer up the latter items to keep warm as necessary under you ski jacket. Factor 40 sunscreen is a must, aftersun type moisturiser and lip-balm and I don't use make-up. Would echo thoughts on only taking small bottles of shower gel, toothpaste etc.

N.B. The above from a woman that phoned her travelling companion today and joked 'it's not all going to fit in the car Laughing '
snow conditions
Quote:

3 ski jackets and two pairs of pants

Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
your surfanic base layer from T K Maxx should be fine - and it will dry very quickly if you wash it mid week. But I'd say a fleece (lightweight type, preferably with a neck zip, I bought two for 15 euros in Decathlon yesterday) is fairly essential. People are different. These last very warm days I just wore a lightweight fleece under my (warm) ski jacket but usually I have a base layer and 3 days ago when it was windy I had 2 merino base layers, a fleece and my jacket. I wasn't too hot at all, even slightly chilly on windy chairlifts.

You have got a neck warmer and something cosy for your head, have you?

All the missing things can be bought in resort, but usually quite pricey.

Rooms in chalets are usually baking hot, the Alpine air is usually very dry (hence need for loads of moisturiser, don't skimp on that) and anything you wash will dry rapidly.

whatever you use to walk around outside (and tough trainers like Merrell are obviously fine) you will probably NOT be allowed to wear inside - or will be very frowned upon especially by fellow guests who like to walk around in socks, and the person who cleans the floors. So, chunky outside footwear, lightweight indoor. 2 pairs of which only the lightweight will be in your baggage.

Have fun. where are you going?
latest report
Wow, thanks for all the replies! All very helpful!

I'm going to Morzine, challet is apparently 10 mins walk from the Village.

I can't believe how little you all take haha, Feeling like my suitcase maybe a little bit too big haha
ski holidays
Quote:

I can't believe how little you all take

What have you got that we haven't got? A different outfit and matching shoes for every night of the week?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Millie10, They're hardcore on the piste. Clothes dont weigh too much so you can take quite a few changes of clothes for wearing out in the night.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I can't believe how little you all take

What have you got that we haven't got? A different outfit and matching shoes for every night of the week?

Probably yes regarding the different outfit per night - she's probably young and on the pull!
latest report
Does anyone know where you can get very lightweight slippers from cheaply, pref with a bit of a hard sole (so water from snow melt doesn't go straight through)
just for wearing around chalet.
o st through)
latest report
k1orange, for men or women?

i paid £3.50 for a pair of fluffy ones from new look just before xmas (already reduced in the sale and they have a hard sole). next also had some cheapo ones.

muji and m&s are also good for blokes, as well as women's ones.
snow conditions
Millie10, I'm not sure how they do it either. I make a point of having a jacket that's not my ski jacket for the evenings too.
snow report
k1orange, http://www.slipperstore.co.uk/mens-slippers-active-sport-slipper-black-bh245-p-261.html
snow report
Scotia's right. A ski jacket can get wet on early hols where falling just might be involved. Looks good on the plane, too.

Evenings---lets have a bit of style !. (because you're worth it )
latest report
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
I take 14 pairs of socks
ber-limey! I take two or, if I forget them like last time, none.
snow report
Bode Swiller, she obviously doesn't like doing any laundry on holiday. I always do a bit of laundry every night, so there's no need to take millions of pairs of smalls, base layers or ski socks.
snow report
1 no. board jacket (very warm) and salls
2 or 3 no. pairs of board socks
4 no normal socks and a load of undercrackers
2 base layers
3 mid layers (can double up as night time wear the next day or can wear 2 at a time on the slope)
4 no. T-shirts or shirts
1 jeans (wear on way out) and one extra pair of something light
1 pair of trainers or walking boots
I thick jumper / hoodie / fleece or something for the evening
Maybe 1 light 'packable' type thin jacket
1 pair of mountain gloves and a pair of thin wool gloves
miniture decanted toiletries
goggles, hat, kneckwarmer etc

roll the clothes up tightly and all fits in with my board bag and hand luggage Very Happy

i never wash clothes on hols
snow conditions
Gloves - I suggest two pairs. Gloves can get very wet from carrying skis and from skiing, so have a second pair for the evening and the next day. Pack one pair and wear the other on the journey.
Hat - I suggest two hats, for much the same reasons as two pairs of gloves.
Footwear - Wear your outdoor shoes on the journey. Pack one pair of indoor shoes, I use Crocs as they do not mind getting wet and mine weigh very little.
snow report
Adrian, is right about the gloves. Have a pair for the slopes and a thin pair for when not skiing. You may need two thin pairs because one inevitably gets lost.

Can I put in a bid for ski gloves that attach to the wrists. It makes life a lot easier when you want to do something on the lift with your gloves off.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy