Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski/board security

Poster: A snowHead
Heading to Tignes in a little under 2 weeks Very Happy

Just wondering what we should do about ski/board security? I am boarding on seperate lessons to my wife who will be skiing.

Do we need to purchase locks for our kit? Or is it generally quite safe?

Our only previous experience was in Andorra and to be honest when popping to loo or ticket/lesson office we just left our kit outside, but this always made me nervous.

Any advice on the best kind of lock/security?

Thanks! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rookierich, try this recent thread for starters - many more on SH's too if you want to search for them - lots of info on the subject, but I expect you will find all you need here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=71645
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if you are worried get a small light weight bike lock. just something to stop an opportunist walking off your kit or even some one taking it by accident. Lots of posts on here about skis/boards going missing both on the moun tain and in the boot rooms !
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The tea leaves just drive up in a truck and steal loads of boards and pairs of skis

I always lock my skis. Splitting your skis with someone else doesn't necessarily work because in the couple of seconds they need to steal them they don't notice it's an odd pair and a single ski is as good as having both nicked.

In Val d'isere I believe you can now hire special locks from the lift company. However these locks only work at restaurants where they have installed the new special ski racks which will work with the locks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just got one these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacsafe-WrapSafe-Adjustable-Cable-Lock/dp/B000MWSZNA/ref=pd_ys_iyr_img?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3Q5UDQS7UV4O1&colid=ASNIJSWPXG4A&tag=amz07b-21 long enough for several pairs of skis
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hello, this is my first post on here as I have just got back from Tignes this afternoon and having realised that skiing is my favourite thing in the world, (well nearly!) I thought I'd have a look on the internet about it.

I went to Tignes with the intention of buying my first pair of skis so I found a hire shop that would let me try out unlimited skis for two days and not charge rental if I bought some. I tried a few and on the second day ended up re-testing a pair of Salomon Enduro's. They were by far the best I tried. I left them outside the back of Club Med at Val Claret on Monday lunchtime for about 15 mins while I got my kids' skis out and when I came back they'd been nicked. I heard of two other people having their skis pinched this week. I've never heard of anyone getting skis stolen before so not sure what's going on but during my wasted afternoon at the Gendarmerie reporting it they told me it was the most common crime in the alps. Thankfully I took out the optional insurance with the hire as my Amex travel insurance only insures me for a single item of £300. I still had to pay Euro 190 excess though. I did buy a pair of the skis though, they're awesome. I also bought a Kryptonite lock but now I'm home will be making up a chain and padlock for my next trip in March.

Buy a lock at least... and have a good time, the snow's good there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dirty Gibson, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dirty Gibson, welcome to Snowheads, snowHead That was bad luck - it's not THAT common, even in Tignes, to get skis nicked.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not sure that it's uncommon in Tignes. The last station on the Grande Motte cablecar before the top is infamous among the skiers I've met. I split my skis here with a friend and found one half of the skis had migrated 50 metres during lunch, quite a scare. I'm not aware of anywhere else being as bad as Tignes - please put me right, someone.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
it would not surprise me that ski theft is the most common crime in the alps, it is quite a specific crime in comparison to every other crime that is possible.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, agreed. The 'flics' were good, but I had to prove I'd paid for the skis before they would process the crime report. I'm going to try to get the Euro 190 back from Amex. Other than the theft and the fact that almost everyone in Val Claret had Noro Virus wiping them out for at least 24hrs during their trip, it was very good. The fact that my wife & kids were out of action meant I could get some serious skiing done on my own. I just thought I'd post as I've never been aware of a lot of ski theft until last week. It really hacked me off.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmmm, only time anyone I know has experienced theft was a pair of boots from the boot room at Club Med in Les Arcs. I never split or secure mine but I may be cautious near CMs!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In France and Austria we always use a cable lock on our skis and boards - it's very common unfortunately.
Generally, if you are at a higher, out of the way restaurant on a hard slope it's unlikely that anyone will want to have to ski down with an extra pair of skis but if you are anywhere busy, near a road or in the resort centre I would always lock your gear up. The problem is that if someone does want to steal your gear they will do - a lock is a deterrent but an enterprising thief can get most locks off in a matter of seconds, so it's worth splitting them as well. Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just bought 2 of these - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Retractable-Combination-Cable-Lock-Helmet-Bike-HS22-/170576850956?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item27b72c300c

Tea leafs take skis from VdI and Tignes and sell them elsewhere - just like the Oxford/Cambridge cycle trade.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
there was a problem in Verbeir a few years ago with scrotes stealing skis tec near the main ticket office, I had my board pinched whilst I was buying my pass even though I only turned round for a few minutes to pay for the pass (rest of the time my board was in view). Luckily is was a mistake and my board turned up a few hours later in lieu of the similar one that was on the rack nearby !!
ski holidays
Not so long back someone removed my cable lock - and left the skis.
snow report
Thanks for the input guys, will pick up a couple of locks before we go.

Getting excited!
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Not so long back someone removed my cable lock - and left the skis.

It was probably more valuable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy