Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wiped off the Poma at Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
I had a terrific Skills Clinic with Rob from Inside Out at Hemel today

BUT

Early this afternoon I was half way up the left hand drag when I was wiped off the Poma by an out of control boarder.

He 'lost' a jump landing and was initially heading towards the Poma support, but appears to have quickly worked out that I was a softer landing than padded steel and turned sharp left straight into me.

Fortunately my boot took the main impact of the leading edge of the board, but it 'bounced' up and took a chunk of skin off my shin through my sallos and socks.

How do you repair torn/cut sallos.

He did stop and apologise and Ski Patrol were picking me up within a couple of minutes.

I can't compete with Liveezy's colourful injury (seperate thread) but yeah, skiing hurts !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
codyaitch, I think a patch would look ace. Sure Megamum will oblige if you post them to her.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
codyaitch, If you can't Duck It then .......
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
codyaitch, I think a patch would look ace. Sure Megamum will oblige if you post them to her.

Is that for my shin or my sallos
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
codyaitch, These patches work very well .
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Foreseeable accident, the poma should be protected by netting to segregate the lift users from the slope users.
Where theres blame theres a claim, get onto a solicitor in the morning Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, yep, when I've skied there I have felt fairly exposed on the Pomas. One day there were some very average "racers" skiing gates right next to the right hand Poma and I thought then how poorly protected those on the lift were.

Quote:

He did stop and apologise
I should think so too but apologies are cheap - certainly cheaper than ski pants. A swift retaliatory smack in the fissog is also free. He owes you more than a roll of duck tape.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Sweller, Were you hurt, perhaps psychologically, there must be enough here for a class action Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Foreseeable accident, the poma should be protected by netting to segregate the lift users from the slope users.
Where theres blame theres a claim, get onto a solicitor in the morning Toofy Grin

oh for goodness sake! Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing wrote:
Bode Sweller, Were you hurt, perhaps psychologically, there must be enough here for a class action Very Happy
must be an amatuer lawyer (possibly Welsh) on here who can represent us. Anyway, yes, deeply deeply disturbed ever since. It got so bad I almost booked a trip to France.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sunnbuel, Exactly, it's dangerous anyone can see that, would you like to join in on our class action? Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller,
Quote:

almost booked a trip to France.

Shocked Shocked Severe trauma, indeed Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing wrote:
sunnbuel, Exactly, it's dangerous anyone can see that, would you like to join in on our class action? Toofy Grin

err, let me think.................NO THANKS! Laughing rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sunnbuel, no, just think there could be children on that lift .............. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing wrote:
sunnbuel, no, just think there could be children on that lift .............. wink

okay...true...count me in Laughing
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, actually I'm traumatised just thinking about it Sad I've never been to Hemel but I think I want "in" please.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, Welcome in, the trauma is felt in many different ways Toofy Grin
and please.......think of the children. wink
snow report
Boredsurfing, yes, my eldest has some very prices Roxy saloupettes I would be gutted if they were torn Sad
ski holidays
Same thing happened to my mate about a year ago in MK.

Left hand Poma (by swimming pool), boarder lost it and smashed into him, he then smashed into the wall getting KO'ed. Im skiing down wondering what the big crowd is for, then wondering where he is, to be told by someone else with us that he was on his way to hospital in an ambulance.

He came round and was kept in for a few hours for ob's, then sent home.

From that day forward i haven't seen him on the snow without a helmet.

But he's 6ft tall 14/15st, a kid could of had a VERY different outcome.

Thinking about it the rails and other trick bits are right near the drag at MK. That said would we prefer them in the middle of the run, almost certainly not!
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Bode Sweller, Were you hurt, perhaps psychologically... Very Happy

Getting clattered in that manner was a 'surprise'

I fall into the 'old git' category and a few more bruises have appeared this morning and a few joints stiffened up.

I caught up with the guy when I noticed the tears in the sallos and suggested he paid for replacements.

He declined - but he disappeared immediately

But I will recognise him again - I won't forget that ridiculously naff cartoon character jacket
latest report
codyaitch, that was really not on - they ought to stop people who do that kind of thing - no more tricks till he's a bit more competent. Clearly they saw what happened - if they quickly came to your aid. I know this has been done to death but on such a little slope, having people doing jumps within a few metres of old gits going up the poma is really disconcerting.
ski holidays
Crikey. I don't always wear a helmet at Hemel and I wasn't yesterday. Think I might in future.
latest report
codyaitch, I would have been more insistent about him paying for the replacement sallies
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, me too.
ski holidays
I'm not a great fan of indoor slopes anyway and probably only go a couple of times a year. However this, and other reports of overcrowding, out of control skiers/boarders, most of the slope taken up by gates, jumps, etc, hardly makes me any more enthusiastic.

Sorry to hear about the injury codyaitch, I'd certainly complain very strongly to Hemel.
snow conditions
Similar thing happened to me at MK several years ago. A skier just ran straight into me catching my just below the knee with one of his skis. I'm sure there is/was a rule that one shouldn't be on the slope unless they can execute a snowplough turn in control. This guy couldn't even stop, let alone turn. When he did need to or manage to change direction he somehow managed to use his poles to support his weight by digging them in the snow and shuffling around them.

I watched him do this a few times and mentioned it to one of the monitors.....calmly explaining that whilst people need to learn, it shouldn't be at the risk of injury to other people. Can't say he seemed overly bothered.
snow report
codyaitch, On a serious note a complaint is in order and enquire if the CCTV was working and has recorded the incident.
snow conditions
I'm starting to like the travelator at Tamworth even more.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cad99uk wrote:
I'm starting to like the travelator at Tamworth even more.

And the people on the rope tow seem to do a good enough job of falling over each other / themselves without any outside help Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
davkt, don't, I absolutely hate that thing. anarchicsaltire and I had a bit of an incident on it a few months ago... Laughing rolling eyes
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
codyaitch, On a serious note a complaint is in order and enquire if the CCTV was working and has recorded the incident.

The Elf and Safety PC brigade drive me bonkers - life is full of risks and I had originally written off this incident as an unfortunate accident and the injury no worse than I might have expected, and had, on the football pitch.

I hadn't initially realised that my sallos were torn and didn't know that my knee was bleeding until I changed.

But having thought about other Snowhead responses and being on the receiving end of E & S presentations at work over the years, there is potentially a serious safety issue at Hemel.

I think the Snowcentre could be deemed to be negligent in not providing safety fencing to keep skiers/boarders away from the drags - they are provided to seperate skiers/boarders from the Poma queues - but what are he practicalities of fencing the drag area ?

I have written to the Snowcentre accordingly and will report any response.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 9-01-11 18:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
codyaitch, not sure fencing off the lift lines would work as more people fall off them and have to get out of the way and onto the slope, sorry to hear about your hit but i have only ever seen one or two people go into the lift line not sure a separated line would reduce accidents that much...
snow report
Chasseur wrote:
A boarder just ran straight into me catching my just below the knee with one of his boards.

I've edited it for you, as people would get worried if such accidents weren't only caused by irresponsible boarders.
snow conditions
I was at Hemel yesterday morning (11:45 - 12:30) and whilst going up the Poma I watched a loose ski from a fallen skier run straight down from about 3/4 way up. Initially thought this could be interesting when it eventually got stopped near the bottom by someone coming up the poma. You can't police something like that IMO but personally I feel there is a duty to protect participants from other users if they are posing a risk. Unfortuntaley it seems it's only after an incident that action is taken. Comments from the snowheads meeting in the evening show the slopes were managed well given the busy time so better number of staffing ratio to users maybe a better solution to barriers. What about a simple observed run for new users and if deemed satisfactory they pass, they're logged on the system as compotent and continue. Fail and cost is refunded or deducted from a lesson?

Would be interesting to see how many customers are 1st time visitors to returning.
snow conditions
I've seen an Instructor lose it in the bumps and hit the wall. Crashes happen, it's part of skiing.

If the lift track was fully fenced off if people fell of the lift there'd be huge problems in recovering them off of the tow track. It'd cause chaos.

I do think that if they're are any jumps or furniture on the slope, that the tow track in the vicinity of the landing area should be fenced off and protected from people who might crash out on landing.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:

TBH it's usually the little treasures that fall off and cause the pile up's in the first place, do you think there is a case for suing the kids Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
codyaitch wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:
Bode Sweller, Were you hurt, perhaps psychologically... Very Happy

Getting clattered in that manner was a 'surprise'

I fall into the 'old git' category and a few more bruises have appeared this morning and a few joints stiffened up.

I caught up with the guy when I noticed the tears in the sallos and suggested he paid for replacements.

He declined - but he disappeared immediately

But I will recognise him again - I won't forget that ridiculously naff cartoon character jacket

FIS rule 10: Identification
Every skier or snowboarder and witness, whether a responsible party or not, must exchange names and addresses following an accident.

If indoor snow centres printed the FIS rules on the lift ticket, or at the very least referred to them some situations like this may be avoided
snow conditions
Yeah, OK..........but who carries a paper and pen with them with skiing in an indoor ski centre?
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Yeah, OK..........but who carries a paper and pen with them with skiing in an indoor ski centre?

most people, I would imagine, carry a mobile phone, most of which are capable of noting names and addresses
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:

Sounds like it would be a very good idea to carry pen and paper if skiing at Hemel Hempsteads indoor snow attraction.
From the evidence above (some from Hemel staff) not only are you at risk on the lift from slope users but if a slope user you are at risk from children and adults falling off the lift onto the slope.
Remember where theres blame theres a claim Toofy Grin

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 10-01-11 12:52; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy