Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going Sunday and need height

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All - I am travelling to Samoens on Sunday for a few days skiing, only two of us, so we may make use of the hire car and try to get somewhere higher up... any ideas welcome. The GM is generally below 2400m and although I have never had a bad ski time there - this year isnt looking great at the moment. I know Avoriz is close, but not much higher than Flaine. Anyone know how conditions are in Chamonix, and which area of Chamonix has the best height? Argentiere?

Any help appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heightist! Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stevo_the_saddler, I'm sure you'll get lots of first hand responses from the folk in Chamonix. Might possibly be worth going to Les Contamines - not high, but the east facing top area does tend to hold its snow well. Only significantly higher place in the vicinity is the Grand Montets.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Thanks for starting me off...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grand Montets is the only real high bit of Cham and is north facing too, so does hold its snow. You need a full Cham pass to use the top lift (or buy single tickets but this is an expensive option).

It may be very busy if it stays warm at low altitudes.

The rest of Cham (Le Tour, Fleg and Brev) are all quite low and are in the blaze of any sunshine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in Chamonix from Dec. 24th to Jan 2nd, we had great snow to start the trip, and it got pretty crusty and skied out by the end. When I left there was still decent snow to be had a little off piste at Grandes Montets, but on piste and just off were scraped clean to ice. Can't tell you how it has been since then and haven't been following the weather, but if there is any more snow or at least warm temps to soften the hardpack then go for it, it will ski great. The other mountains are as you would expect, they got lots of sun while I was there and got pretty crusty. Hope that helps, maybe someone who was there in the last few days can help you a little more though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Conditions have deteriorated hugely since 2 January - there's no comparison. Warm temperatures, a good deal of rain AND a couple of days of foehn winds.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We had visitors today (friends of guests) who were astonished at the difference between our north-facing pistes and the higher, south-facing pistes where they are staying... I know it's been said plenty of times before, but it is amazing what a difference aspect makes in conditions like these. Grand Montets sounds like a good bet, but Les Contamines will probably be ok and a cheaper option.

Short term Chamonix-Meteo forecast not looking too bad though, so worth checking again tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevo_the_saddler, goto Grands Montets. It's fine now (see pics on Cham thread) and 40cm forecast on Chamonix-meteo over next 2 days.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone... will see how the land (or hopefully snow) lies on arrival.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy