Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What does Angulate mean when carving

Poster: A snowHead
I have heard the term Angulate mentioned, when carving, not sure what is meant by Angulate, can anyone help ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you were to simply lean over to put the skis on edge that is pure Inclination, you get an edge on your ski but your centre of mass will no longer be over the skis so you will be unstable. Angulation is the act of pushing the hips or knees across the skis to put them on edge but keeping your upper body stacked over the skis.

Give me a mo and i will find a good link Very Happy

http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/Angulation.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
(Mostly) inclination:

Angulation:

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It occurs in all turns to a degree, not just when carving.

It's basically a balancing mechanism at the end of the day. You have a force pulling you towards the centre of the turn (centripetal) and a force pulling towards the outside of the turn (centrifugal), to balance these you end up in a particular 'shape' on the skis, so as to neither fall inside the turn or outside of it.

This sometimes is referred to as 'angulation'.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, IIRC its the action of tipping the knees into the hill whilst angulating the upper body away from the hill isn't it - the thing you were practising with us when I had my day with IO skiing at HH with you?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, yes, that's one way of getting your skis on their edges and still remaining in balance. Using your knees tends to be a secondary way of doing it, or something that you do at low speeds, because they don't want to be bent sideways too much when they have any load on them. Creating the angle at your hips/waist (as in the second photo I posted) is a much stronger and safer way to do it if you're skiing with any speed. You can then tweak things a little bit with your knees if you want.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ANGULATION - When there is an angle (laterally) between the legs and the upper body. This is achieved by bending the body, so that the CoM is inside the turn and the edges are at an angle to the snow, while the body remains in balance. Angulation allows the skier to remain balanced while setting an edge (putting the ski on edge) – in the absence of Angulation the skier would topple over.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31885
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, rob@rar, the animated picture in skimottaret's link (beautiful prose, that... wink) makes the difference between angulation and inclination super-clear.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, that glossary is great isn't it? I often thumb through it to ascertain what folks are on about. I think its a great thing to come out of SH's and I hope it's as useful to other's as it is to me. The hard work that skimottaret, was well worth while IMV.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are some great angulation exercises on Rick's DVDs.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, it wasn't only skimottaret's hard work - the task of an editor (btw, the edit is as yet incomplete, mainly because the author lost interest, or got writer's block, or something wink) is also an onerous one. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When I try to get the skis on edge, do I do with wih my hips or knees

Thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kendub wrote:
When I try to get the skis on edge, do I do with wih my hips or knees

Thanks

edging comes from both the hips and knees, the larger angles are from the hips, the knees are used to 'fine tune' the amount of edge applied.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the author lost interest

correctamundo

ps ricks yourskicoach explanation and photos on angulation is a lot better
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

edging comes from both the hips and knees

I can stand on the floor and move my hips quite a long way to the side whilst keeping my feet flat wink
ski holidays
Quote:

I can stand on the floor and move my hips quite a long way to the side whilst keeping my feet flat

So best to edge from the knees ?
snow conditions
in short, angulation has to be built up. so start from the bottom, ankles (yes inclination ), knees and then hips. each one has a progressively larger range of movement and is able to sustain more force during a turn. therefore if the turn shape, speed, slope, snow conditions etc allows for the hip to follow the knees through great. but if not there is nothing wrong with angulation with the knees.
snow report
kendub wrote:
I have heard the term Angulate mentioned, when carving, not sure what is meant by Angulate, can anyone help ?

You've received some good responses so far, kendub. Here are a few photos/drawings that might help also. A more detailed explanation of them can be found here: http://www.yourskicoach.com/SkiGlossary/Inclination.html

ski holidays
The 'banana' position, take that how you will.
latest report
I watched Rick's DVD on Angulation last night, after dinner. With a large brandy, a coffee and some very nice chocolate with almonds. I really, really paid attention and by the end I could definitely do excellent virtual narrow stance high edge angle carving. Cool
ski holidays
pam w, Genius - enhancing visualisation skills with Chocolate & alcohol. Why didn't I think of that snowHead
ski holidays
david@mediacopy, Laughing I needed to top up the brandy when I began to flag, but after that I was fine. You need a bit of sticking power, you know, to improve your skiing.
latest report
pam w, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
pam w, Very Happy Laughing
latest report
pam w, I wholeheartedly agree esp. in real life. I still tend to be less than floppy and find that just soupcon (not enough to really affect judgement in a poor way) most def. assists my skiing. With it I can just ski blacks in the little Swiss resort with sufficient confidence to concentrate on what I am doing rather than on the slope without it requires far more arguing with myself to even attempt them. I know there is a huge difference of opinion as to whether you are safe with any amount of the lethal substance in your blood stream and whether your insurance would cover you, but just a little until (under the legal driving limit) seems to do no harm to me IMO.
snow report
Quote:

I know there is a huge difference of opinion as to whether you are safe with any amount of the lethal substance in your blood stream

Well I was in a well maintained and supportive armchair, so I think I was probably perfectly safe. wink
snow conditions
pam w, Mind you I've seen the time when the floor has felt safer than an armchair myself Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum, it was just a couple of glasses of brandy, Megamum, not a major bender.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I can see a whole new grading structure for ski instruction DVD's here, 3 brandies +, 2 brandies, 1 brandy and stone cold sober or you'll miss the point Laughing
snow conditions
The pictures of Banking/Angulation are a bit exagerated when it comes to the Banking. It's perfectly possible to still have the downhill ski in contact with the snow whilst banking, just by softening the inside leg. What the picture is showing is Banking with no flexion.
snow report
Spyderman, the banking photo was done on one foot to CLEARLY show where the balance point was, as a result of my inclinated stance. If I had flexed my inside leg, such that my outside foot could get to the snow, the balance point would not have changed. I would have simply been trying to balance and turn on flexed (read WEAKER) leg.
latest report
FastMan, I can see that as a drill, but in practice the inside leg could be flexed so that it could indeed be clear of the snow altogether. The balance point would surely be the outside leg? Puzzled
latest report
Truth be told, pam w, Megamum,that's how I ended up in that inclinated stance. Blush
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
FastMan, I can see that as a drill, but in practice the inside leg could be flexed so that it could indeed be clear of the snow altogether. The balance point would surely be the outside leg? Puzzled

The balance point would not change. That's why when people incline too much their weight falls to their inside ski. That's the whole reason why skiers need to angulate; it moves the balance point back towards the outside ski.
snow report
FastMan, Got you, I wasn't looking at your diagram properly, been a long day.
latest report
Gosh, and there was me tinking it was something to do with the Milka cow. Laughing
snow conditions
FastMan wrote:
That's why when people incline too much their weight falls to their inside ski.

But if they incline an appropriate amount then they can remain balanced against the outside ski...
snow conditions
Inclination = tipping 100% of the person to one side.

Angulation = tipping the lower 50% of the person to one side.

Steer with your lower thighs.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
your lower thighs.
Lower thighs? How many thighs do you have?
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
your lower thighs.
Lower thighs? How many thighs do you have?

My sheila thinks I may have 3 legs wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy