Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2010-11

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hmmm, not great today. Right now am sat in the car waiting to pick up a friend at Asahikawa station. Asahikawa is the coldest city in Japan, but now the temp is 6 degrees at 6pm and it's raining. Depressing.

Today at Kamui the wind closed the gondola so we were confined to the lower slopes which were very slow and slushy. We ended up just lapping the decent kicker they have near the base. All in all a pretty crap day, although I did relearn 540s (not bad for almost a 30 yr old!) so the day wasn't a total loss!

Tomorrow a telemarking friend and I are going to hit Asahidake which is the highest mountain on the island, so this rain should be snow up there. Hoping the wind dies down, otherwise they may not open the rope way. Gonna raise spirits with a few Sapporos tonight and keep our fingers crossed for tomorrow!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MagSeven, Same in Teine today wind-wise. Freakin' howling at the top and lift service was stopped a couple of times. With some traversing there was some very decent terrain to be had though, booters everywhere and although it was way too warm the snow was soft enough to make it fun.

Going to head North on Monday for a few days in search of colder climes, Kurodake I think.

Enjoy the beers - why don't they sell Sapporo Classic anywhere else other than Hokkaido? Legendary stuff.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heading north too.

Kurodake, Asahidake, Kitataisetsu.

See you out there. Green jacket, red helmet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, in search of better snow, I hit Asahidake on Sunday. Clear blue skies, and a little fresh snow overnight.

Temps were still relatively warm up there, but the fresh snow gave some pretty decent conditions lower down on the mountain.

It did get warm, and the snow got heavy quite quickly. Plus the mountain was fairly busy, meaning we were having to wait for the single ropeway lift. So we decided to take advantage of the blue skies, and hike for the summit of the volcano.

The higher we got the windier it became. We just about made it to the summit, before dropping in and skiing a line into the crater. The snow was very windblown but it was fun to ski a steep line in challenging snow (not something you often get in Hokkaido!) This is my buddy Tim dropping the knee

Down in the bottom of the crater there are a number of vents, spewing out steam and general stench! We didn't hang around for too long!

All in all, a fun day.

Yesterday was spent at Teine, one of the numerous resorts dotted along the ridge of mountains to the south of Sapporo. Another gorgeous sunny day, but the snow was mostly hardpack. There were a few little stashes of decent snow higher up in some of the gullys that come off the peak. Not the best days skiing, but I enjoyed the great views over Sapporo.(couldn't get the horizon straight with the iPhone camera)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MagSeven, excellent - I do love the notion of skiing in to a crater Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As of Wednesday 23 March 2011

Niseko Hirafu village level measurements

March snowfall SO FAR - 1.94 m

Season snowfall SO FAR - 13.01m

Great day today at Grand Hirafu (23rd). 20cm overnight, snowed throughout the day, cold temps, very quiet, and the sun even came out for a bit Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow, Was super fun. As was yesterday! The 15cm+ we recieved last night on top of the 15cm+ we got the night before really sorted the recent warm snap out.

Lapped out of gate 4 yesterday and then hiked the peak as gate 3 opened today and dropped over to Hanazono where the powder was bottomless, then just bashed Strawberry Fields all day. I've been here a month and SF has been tracked out by the time I've managed to get over there from Higashiyama, but today just got freshies all day.

I love late season...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This morning there was a mail to me from my friend in japan, he and the family is alive. They was not in Niseko when the tsunami was coming and take the town, they have loose their home, they only have their car and clothes they have on. But they are alive, My friend he is a surviver, for 25 years ago, we was skiing from the top of Breithorn when there was a avalanche, he was under the snow near 45 min when a dog from the rescueteam find him, he survived that to, Today, a BIG sun, and I will just enjoy the day Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
freeheelskier, what wonderful news. Thanks for letting us know.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
freeheelskier wrote:
This morning there was a mail to me from my friend in japan, he and the family is alive. They was not in Niseko when the tsunami was coming and take the town, they have loose their home, they only have their car and clothes they have on. But they are alive, My friend he is a surviver, for 25 years ago, we was skiing from the top of Breithorn when there was a avalanche, he was under the snow near 45 min when a dog from the rescueteam find him, he survived that to, Today, a BIG sun, and I will just enjoy the day Very Happy

Great news.

But need to stress that Niseko was ABSOLUTELY NOT in the firing line for the tsunami. There has been no earthquake or tsunami damage on western Hokkaido.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow, I was to quick on the keyboard; the towns name is Natori... Sorry Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
freeheelskier, must have been a great relief to hear from your friend. Glad things turned out ok.

Now, about that trip report...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy