Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney Alagna

Poster: A snowHead
Flying to Milan on Monday for 3.5 days skiing on a budget. Mixed ability group.(No beginners)
Any recommendations for accommodation and restaurants.
2 of us went to Alagna last year and loved it which is why we want to go back.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alagna Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy TOP 5 in Europe for Offpist Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BertieG, see my post on weather outlook thread...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BertieG, why not Champoluc? (Breithorn, Castor, Auberge Frantz to name a few).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
freeheelskier, what, after, Chamonix, Verbier, St Anton, La Grave, Val d'Isere, Andermatt? Oh, sorry, that's 6...

Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Hotel Nordend at the head of the Gressoney valley in Staffal is nice. It's very handy for the lifts - you can ski back to it and it's a short walk across the car park to the main lifts. It's a bit out of the way, you'd need to drive in to Gressoney if you wanted to go to the pub for example.

There are a couple of 2* hotels in Gresoney that seem to get good reviews but I've not stayed in them.

There are a few restaurants in Gressoney - the pizza place gets quite busy but is good so worth booking, most other places you can just turn up on spec. Bar Castore is the closest thing to a trendy night spot, it plays (or at least used to play) half decent music (DJ not live). It's not exactly a lively town but there are some nice places and it's very laid back and relaxed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name, It seems to be resorts U have READ about,,, Verbier I can agree,, and chamonix would be the best if U are alone on the Mountain, but sorry there is alot more powder freaks there,,, but people like U,, I will not say skier, can continue to dream, and we other keep on skiing Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking at the Hotel Dufour in La Trinite as it is fairly central to the ski area and not too isolated at night. ( I wanted to stay in a refuge but I guess that will have to wait)
DoubleBombardino We had lunch in the Gabiet last year - the "solid soup" was a new experience. Good value place to stay though the views at Guglielmina are probably worth the difference.
We only stayed in Alagna 2 days last year hence the reason for asking.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
freeheelskier, matey, we have a house in Champoluc. Reading is not the issue... How many powder days can you guarantee in Monterosa?

Re Cham, we have a business there so I know it pretty well too. Sure, it's popular, for valid reasons so the key is all about knowing where to avoid the crowds...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, If U have a house in Champoluc, you must know Alagna Puzzled Champoluc is fantastic to Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
freeheelskier, I do my friend.

I suspect that you are talking about a "different" type of off piste compared to what is often talked about here.

I genuinely do agree that Alagna offers some amazing terrain, but most of the time you need to walk a wee bit (or rather a lot) to get to it.

Whereas most of the other stations mentioned allow access to reasonably large areas of off piste with little, or no, walking.

I would submit, humbly and without deep experience of it, that you are absolutely on the button that Monterosa, from a ski touring point of view, offers some of the best skiing in the alps.

And on a grand day, it can be fantastic just on the lift served stuff (especially, as you rightly point out, there's almost no-one around most of the time) - but the grand days (in recent years, although that may be about to change!! Climate change here we come...) are fewer and further between than in Cham, Val d'Espair, etc.

Anyway, I'm stuck in Geneva tonight having missed the Paris-GVA train I wanted to get while my better half is barbequeing in Champoluc, telling me how much snow there is there compared to Chamonix and I am going for a kebab.

Yum. Rare treat!!

P.S. If you are around Monterosa much, I/we'd love to go for a ski...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, mind you, it doesn't get the nickname 'grass'oney for nothing...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, When I skiing offpist,, with tele and climbingskins,,, a little traverse is easy,,, I earn my turns
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
freeheelskier, I rather thought so!... Little Angel Little Angel

offpisteskiing, he he he
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good snow over here, to a point very good snow. Bit warm, but lovely bumps all round. Eg up the col,

Looking up...

Looking down...

yum yum yum

who needs off piste when you have bumps?
snow report
freeheelskier wrote:
under a new name, It seems to be resorts U have READ about,,, Verbier I can agree,, and chamonix would be the best if U are alone on the Mountain, but sorry there is alot more powder freaks there,,, but people like U,, I will not say skier, can continue to dream, and we other keep on skiing Very Happy

Blimey, that was a pretty condescending response!

Alagna great in good conditions but alas how often does that happen? The guide I know from there has moved away because of the poor conditions in all but one of the last few seasons (he reckons they cursed it when adopting the freeride paradise tagline)
ski holidays
BobinCH, agreed.. 2 years ago (if memory serves) they had an awesome season (along with the rest of that neck of the woods) as the 'retours d'est' kept on swinging up from the med & dumping on that side of the range. I am part of the unlucky gang who seem to hit it when at best it is 'OK'.
snow conditions
under a new name, Cool. Not seen bumps on that pitch before.

Monta Rosa is one fave's, certainly higher on my list than Chamonix. It has a small resort feel and is usually fairly quiet. That said, I've never caught it on a powder day.

I've yet to 'bond' with Chamonix but have a week sorted soon, so we'll see.
snow report
under a new name, You are Kate Bush and I claim my £5 wink
snow conditions
david@mediacopy, now I'm confused Puzzled Puzzled

Anyway, there are almost always bumps on that pitch, (if that's the pitch you're talking about...)
ski holidays
under a new name, I understood Kate Bush has a home in the area.

The area's the just below the col separating the Champoluc side from Gressony ?
snow report
david@mediacopy, ah, I'll look out for her. I am afraid no fiver for you.

Yep, that's the Col. Always bumps there, in my experience...
ski holidays
Is alagna accessible via anything other than a black?
snow report
biff and bash, not directly, although it's a very blue looking black.
snow report
under a new name, OK thanks
latest report
biff and bash, seriously, it's a pretty easy black. You can also take the cable car down from the end of the blue to the start of the red.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy