Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

pet friendly accomodation????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi,

I know this seems like a bit of an odd one but I'm tying to find out if there is any accomodation which is pet friendly (dog specifically)
We werent able to go last year as my partner broke his knee the year before (tpf fracture) and was still recovering.
we had been looking forward to skiing again this season, but have just found out that his puppy who is 5 months old has a large hoel in her heart and a very poor outlook. there is a possibility of surgery which might help but we are waitning to find out about that. Obvioulsy this changes things regarding going off on holiday. We are desperately upset and worried about her, but I'm also sad that it may mean no snowtime again Sad
I just wondered if there are any places which we could drive to and take her with us??
any thoughts/ideas o suggstions would be most welcome
TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boo22, I can't think of any chalets where pets would be welcome, you do see a lot of French families who take dogs with them on holiday so I'd suggest checking with Tourist Offices for pet friendly self-catering appartments. You could try this hotel Relais de Petit Saint Bernard (www.petit-saint-bernard.com) in La Rosiere, the owner's family keep St Bernards! Have you got your pet passport and vaccinations sorted?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boo22, quite a lot of French places (including us) take pets and I've certainly stayed in nice hotels in Switzerland where they do too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
boo22, assuming pet passport is all in order (if not then it's a non starter) you will be able to find accommodation which accept dogs.

The French seem to understand that a Dog is actually part of the family and should be able to go on holiday and out to restaurants with its owners unlike the UK.

I suggest you try the solutions room on Chalets Direct to find somewhere.

I think you would need to be specific on what it is you're expecting from the accommodation as most won't be happy with the dog being left alone in the property whilst you go out skiing and neither will many be prepared to provide a "doggy daycare" service foc.

When we operated chalets we had no issue with guests bring their dogs but it was their responsibility to look after it all the time, ok if we were taking ours for a walk we'd offer to take the guests too for a play in the snow but that was not part of the agreement before the guests arrived.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
can only echo ensuring that pet passport and all veterinary records are up to date and tickety boo - I know of someone who took their pooch the France, but on their return the good people at French immigration would not let the dog out of the country due a minor discrepancy on some immunisation dates (in the dogs favour - had a shot after 10 months as opposed to 12 or something like that). 6 months in quarantine before they could bring him back to the UK.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
marcellus, Out of interest Marcellus what do you do now? I remember you having the place in LC.

boo22, I've looked into taking my dog a few times (never have though, but maybe this year!), and have always found places willing to take them. I'd have to say that I wuldn't consider leaving her on her own while skiing though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davejsy, still own and run seasonlet@seasonaires!!

With regard to the dog, I guess it depends on the dog but ours loves being in the back of the car as she finds it very homely... so much that she often "asks" to go and sleep in it as opposed to being in the house... (ok in the chalet this was to get some peace and quiet from noisy guests or guests children!!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi boo22,

I think a lot of French ski apartments will take dogs, try looking on the tourist office web sites and many of the apartments are privately owned by people who have dogs themselves. Our little terrier is going on her first ski holiday this year to an apartment in Meribel-Mottaret!

Sorry to hear about your partners dog being unwell. We had a Westie that was diagnosed with hole in heart and only expected to live 18 months, in the end he led a very comfortable life and died at 16 years old so do not give up hope Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boo22, I would echo the comments on pet-passports, takes at least 7m to get one completed so unless you started early, this season is probably a non starter. putting my vet hat on I would also say you need to think carefully about taking a cardiac-compromised pet to a ski resort. the thinner air will put more strain on the heart even at rest. As you say the outlook is poor I presume there is a degree of congestive failure going on? I would discuss this carefully with your vet.

On a more positive note don't lose hope, if the puppy has managed to get to 5 months then there is at least some functional cardiac capacity and surgery may well help. I had a patient a few months ago, 3m old, in total collapse. I referred her to the Royal Vet College in London, more in hope than expectation, and last week signed her off as a bright healthy pup with a long life ahead of her. Good luck.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh yes and one other thing on Pet Passports.. whatever you do, never, never, never, never, ever ever, never hand it to the passport control guys with yours by mistake (did I say never enough).... I did by mistake and then had to go back to square one on the passport front as in my rush to get onto the train didn't realise they hadn't handed it back to me
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marcellus, bit unhelpful now but your vet should be able to re-issue a pet pasport rather than going back to square one Shocked so long as they held onto the paperwork for vaccines, blood samples etc (which they should)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gilo, we were over two years since we had it all done in the UK and the French Vets didn't seem to have kept records of the boosters they'd given!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We stayed in this fantastic 18th century farmhouse apartment (sleeps 12) down the road from Montgenevre near Briancon before Xmas http://www.maisonclaree.com/index.php?pg=home (owned by Brits)
They say " One well-behaved dog welcome by prior arrangement." on their prices page
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Judging by the number of turds which can be found round our place after a couple of weeks without snow, there are plenty of pet-friendly apartments in our development. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks for all the replies, the passport wouldnt be a problem if we are able to go, and when we were considering it, the idea was to drive over and partner will look after the puppy most of the time.
Having said that the impact of her heart from thinner air is something we hadnt considered, and a justifiable reason to be cautious> My partner is keen for her to have a happy life but not to compromise the quality or put any undue strain on her.

Oh Gilo & Trenmold, thanks so much for that info, anything positive is a help!!
I'm praying for a miracle, though it seems that she may be one already for surviving this long. She has a large membranous VSD and her heart is already twice the size expected for her age. She isnt showing any signs of CHF as yet, but the cardiologist was sufficiently worried to contact our own vet immediately so he was aware of her condition Sad we are waiting to hear from a surgeon at Kennilworth who may be able to help. Apparently part of the problem this type of problem with such severity is rare as hen's teeth as puppies normally die under 8 weeks and she is a bouncy strong active puppy at the moment.
Gilo- do you mind me asking which vet at the RCV saw your client's puppy?

So for the moment, I think any plans for adventures in the snow are on hold for the future.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy