Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel - A Few Questions

Poster: A snowHead
I've had a quick poke around, but struggled with the search function.

Couple of questions, hopefully some of you who've been there and done that can help. We've done various other resorts, but not done 3V or Courchevel before.

Looking for decent places to eat lunch around 3V but particularly good places near Courchevel - nothing outrageous on price, just decent food for lunch at a sensible price (by sensible, I mean for a ski resort, not KFC). Suggestions welcomed.

Anyone know anywhere I can rent some Dynastar Sultans in/near 1650? Thinking about trying these out for a day sometime during the week. Even better if they've got 80s and 85s. I've tried online but not many shops that list brand/model they stock for rental.

Any must do runs for a couple of intermediates who are starting to get from reds into blacks? Plus any brilliant cruising blues etc that we just have to do - we're not going to get round the whole 3V, so may as well just look for the best runs out there.

Good places for edge and wax in 1650? Both of us are going to need skis looking at when we arrive I think.

Finally any must do/see stuff that's specific to Courchevel or 3V?

TIA.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've taken this from a few different threads and kept it all together in my google docs... means i can access it on my phone when we're there and won't forget.

Cheap food locations on mountain

Le Petite Auberge pizzaria in Courchevel 1650.

Another heroic lunch spot is La Dahlia in St Martin; blast the bejesus out of Jerusalem, cruise down, take your skis off, collapse and relax.

Petite Auberge in 1650

A cheap lunch in Courchevel is not difficult to find.. the Bakery in the forum (above Kalicos) is pretty cheap as long as you avoid the pastry end of the counter.. also you can get a cheap panini underneath Chalet de Pierre (the super posh expensive restaurant near the end of Verdon, the green run in to Courchevel). Ski past the outdoor decking where every one is paying too much for beer and then there is a hole in the wall with a few deck chairs.. I like to get a panini from here and tuck it in my jacket (they are always too hot to eat straight away), get back on the lift and find a spot with a nice view.

Boulette in 1650 is great value no nonsense food

Only other thing i can comment on is the edge and wax... get it done before you go. 2 reasons: you can spend the time there skiing rather than hanging around waiting on your skis (it is afterall why you go) and it's one less thing to worry about.

Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No time for edge and wax before we go - leave on Saturday evening, and mental busy until then, only real option is S&R, I'd rather give the same money to someone in resort. Plus we'll be in resort on the first day for a few hours with nothing to do, unless there's any free lifts in 1650? Anyone?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bel Air above 1650 is nice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monium wrote:
No time for edge and wax before we go - leave on Saturday evening, and mental busy until then, only real option is S&R, I'd rather give the same money to someone in resort. Plus we'll be in resort on the first day for a few hours with nothing to do, unless there's any free lifts in 1650? Anyone?

fair enough... enjoy! take lots of pictures and post a trip report when you get back Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There are two free drags in Courchevel 1650, Mickey on the nursery and Belvedere, both are to the left looking up the slope. They close at about 4.50 or so.
Just down the side road from those lifts you'll find the Bubble Bar, good for a basic (pannini/pasta type) lunch with a drink for under €10. There's also Rocky's bar opposite the bottom of the escalator from the slopes, again a good basic lunchtime snack and drink for less than €10.
Haven't had skis serviced there so can't help on that.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't know the area well - my one recommendation would be, if you are over in the Mottaret valley, go up to Mont Vallon.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any local ski shop should do an overnight turnaround on your ski's, I paid 25e for an edge, base repair and wax in 1550 and they were ready in 2 hours.

Restraunts in 1650, Savoyard opposite the escalator up to the telecabin and a pizzaria on the same side as the escalator about 50 yards uphill. Cant remember the name but its the one that has Evian paper place mats with all the resorts on the Alps drawn on it.

Pizzas there are about 13e.

Run wise, Suisse above 1850 is pretty hard going but is wide enough to kill your speed should you need it.

Also there is a blue running on the right hand side of the family park abouve 1850, ski that and head right into the trees for some messing about.

Out of 1650 take the Ariondaz bubble then ski down the Ariondaz piste to the Signal chair lift, take the signal chair up to the top and ski the red run called Rochers, it starts a bit bland but further down its prime for some off piste over a few small cliff drops if thats your kind of thing. You can see them right under the chair.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w,

Agreed, and deffinatly DO NOT go the the nice looking reseraunt near the base of Mont Vallon, shocking service and rediculous prices.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
L eterlou in 1650 for pizza or tartiflette.
On main street.
for finish of day ski down to le praz hotel peupliers for best vin chauds in 3 valleys have 2 and get bus home.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
homers double wrote:
pam w,

Agreed, and deffinatly DO NOT go the the nice looking reseraunt near the base of Mont Vallon, shocking service and rediculous prices.

The worst Vin Chaud as well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Francis Blanc sports in 1650 for ski servicing - not sure what price they charge general public, but the skiman has been there a good few years now & they always do a good job whenever I take kit in.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Three Valleys is a dreadful rip off in terms of prices and the skiing is hugely bland unless you go off piste (for some excitement, have a crack at the Death Couloir but do stay on your feet, please!!). Vizelle is about the best piste skiing in Corchevel, Mont Vallon in Meribel, Cime du Caron in VT and La Masse in Les Menuires. Despite these 'high points', this is saccharin skiing at its worst and you'll realise this when you get there. It's over-hyped, it's over-done, it's the nightmare of ski lift ironmongery everywhere, it's the lemming approach to tourists personnified. If you want a crepe and a drink, part with £15 and be ready for it. If you want surly service, then head here. If you want trendy, pretentious tourists then definitely spend an afternoon at Rond Point in Meribel.

Try Andermatt, instead. Or Serre Chevalier but do enjoy and good luck!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monium, have a look at skimottaret's website - it's a mine of useful information on the 3V. I printed off great chunks of the information on food and ski runs, and took it with me last time I went.

rob@rar wrote:
Seconded - my favourite mountain restaurant in the 3V.

kevinmcclean what a heap of generalized crap. However, I agree with your favourite pistes. Plus Jerusalem down to St Martin.
I've not been to Serre Chevalier, but I have been to Andermatt and it is complete nonsense even trying to compare that with the 3V, although it is a great place in its very different way.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Best 3V tip - ski while everybody else is wasting time sitting in restaurants having lunch. Some of the pistes that are crowded at beginning and end of the day, particularly some of the long home runs like those down to La Tania are deserted at lunchtime and offer great fun followed by a quick hop on a lift with no queue to get back up top again.

kevin mcclean, You are right the 3V is crap - please don't anybody go there particularly between 26/2 and 5/3 this year, there will be no snow, huge queues and there are no hills in Courchevel anyway, it is just an illusion.
ski holidays
Quote:

rob@rar wrote:
Seconded - my favourite mountain restaurant in the 3V.

Yup, it's a great place. Book a table on the terrace for lunch if it is sunny as it can get busy (no need to call, just pop in as you go past in the morning or have a coffee).
ski holidays
Bel Air is a nice restaurant, but still fairly expensive. There is a small snack bar underneath it, good prices, extremely friendly service, and great homemade cookies
latest report
Patch,
Quote:

Bel Air is a nice restaurant, but still fairly expensive.
True, but it is good value nonetheless. I agree about the snack bar.
snow report
The beouf bourginnion (bad spelling I know) with pasta in Bel-air is wonderful but as mentioned not particularly cheap. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the restaurant in meribel near the bubble but it does a wonderful carbonara.
snow report
My 2 favourites are both in Les Menuires Valley; Le Chalet de Corbeleys at St Martin Mid Station and Le Grand Lac at the bottom of the Granges chair. Both decent value and Le Grand Lac does a great Nicoise salad (with a plate of pommes frites off course wink ) There is am added bonus that both have great runs down to them. Jerusalem to Corbelys, always a deserted run and huge fun at a decent lick, and Grand Lac down to Grand Lac.
http://restaurant-legrandlac.com/
ski holidays
For an intermediate like me, the 3V is awesome, and I have expert friends who rate it highly enough to have done repeat seasons there. You'll have a great time.

After a total of three weeks there I haven't done anything like all of it, but my must-do runs are Combe Vallon from the top of Mont du Vallon, Pramint and Jerusalem on the Menuires side of Tougnete, and pretty much everything on the Meribel side of Saulire.

I don't know Courchevel as well, but you're bound to find your own favourites there.

Ski hire - Ski Republic list the Sultan 85 and have a shop in 1650. See http://www.ski-republic.com/en/.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
kevin mcclean, that's a nice rant but I have to challenge you on a few matters.

Quote:
skiing is hugely bland unless you go off piste

Sticking to piste skiing... are you seriously arguing that the 3V is poor? That's a nonsense IMO and I can't see any justification for it. You even highlight several good areas yourself. I've not been to Andermatt (which is not known for it's piste skiing) but I have been to Serre Chevalier, and the 3V is far superior IMO. I have never been back to SC and am unlikely to. Why pass ADH to get there..

Quote:
for some excitement, have a crack at the Death Couloir but do stay on your feet, please!!

That is incredibly bad and irresponsible advice to a poster who is liooking for "a couple of intermediates who are starting to get from reds into blacks". It's a nice way of flexing your muscles though eh.
ski holidays
Thanks all for your help so far. We are putting a list together, and will report back with reviews and photos as always. I am counting the hours to the weekend now, can't wait to get away. I think we've got enough restaurants as waypoints for 6 days skiing, but any more suggestions are very welcome. I forgot to mention that I love a good crepe at lunchtime, so any good places for that would be brilliant. Managed a 4 crepe day in Morzine once, breakfast, elevenses, lunch and afternoon tea Shocked

Kevin, I'll be sure to post a photo from the top of the Couloir. It will be a nice souvenir to put on the coffin at my funeral Very Happy To be fair to you, I said very similar things about Andorra, but others seem to love the place. Each to their own, if it's crap we'll go somewhere else next time Smile
latest report
Monium, Bel-air is great for a drink before a final run down into 1650 at the end of the day, don't miss Signal piste at the far end of 1650, one of my favourite runs in the whole 3V has to be Folyeres(sp) the blue into La Tania, great cruising run through the trees. Plumenvitre (sp) into VT is also a great blast - have a great time - hope Ski Olympic perform better this time.
latest report
Monium,

I am sure you will have a great time, I am not pro like Kevin, just a holiday skier and I found the huge choice of runs and massive area a real plus. The pistes are well managed and you can get some great fast long runs in. Have a good time.
snow report
Monium, where are you staying?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Monium, where are you staying?

Ski Olympic - Chalet Mors, 9th to 16th. You in the area?
snow conditions
stevew wrote:
Monium, Bel-air is great for a drink before a final run down into 1650 at the end of the day, don't miss Signal piste at the far end of 1650, one of my favourite runs in the whole 3V has to be Folyeres(sp) the blue into La Tania, great cruising run through the trees. Plumenvitre (sp) into VT is also a great blast - have a great time - hope Ski Olympic perform better this time.

So do I, though we are on their flight and transfer, not our flight and their transfer this time Smile Anything less than 8/10 and we'll be looking for another TO for future trips...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monium, No but I have stayed at Mors. The Annexe bedrooms are nice, the chalet bedrooms are rubbish BUT it has a wonderful dining/lounge area, one of the best.

It was at that chalet that my subsequent dealings with your friend at SO occurred. A chalet boy from the next door chalet (Monique) was, unbeknown to us, sleeping in our chalet. He came in ratarsed one night and entered the wrong room. We had the whole chalet and were 5 young families plus 2 girls 17 and 23. This fellow went into the girls room at 3am and got into bed with the 17 yr old and uddled up to her, he was naked. She was terrified and didn't dare speak or move. Luckily the 23 yr old woke and threw him out. The 17 yr old was terrified and traumatised. I think this episode changed at least 2 SO proceedures Very Happy Had he entered one of the young kids rooms he may well have been beaten to death!

We enjoyed Mors immensely and am sure you will Very Happy

Oh BTW, the 3 reds off the Chapelet lift in 1650, back down to the lift, are fantastic.
latest report
Monium, also stopped at Mors twice before, excellent chalet - would be top of my list to back to next time in C1650 - have fun
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Monium, No but I have stayed at Mors. The Annexe bedrooms are nice, the chalet bedrooms are rubbish BUT it has a wonderful dining/lounge area, one of the best.

It was at that chalet that my subsequent dealings with your friend at SO occurred. A chalet boy from the next door chalet (Monique) was, unbeknown to us, sleeping in our chalet. He came in ratarsed one night and entered the wrong room. We had the whole chalet and were 5 young families plus 2 girls 17 and 23. This fellow went into the girls room at 3am and got into bed with the 17 yr old and uddled up to her, he was naked. She was terrified and didn't dare speak or move. Luckily the 23 yr old woke and threw him out. The 17 yr old was terrified and traumatised. I think this episode changed at least 2 SO proceedures Very Happy Had he entered one of the young kids rooms he may well have been beaten to death!

We enjoyed Mors immensely and am sure you will Very Happy

Oh BTW, the 3 reds off the Chapelet lift in 1650, back down to the lift, are fantastic.

On our trip last year one of our guys did something similar with one of our other guys. Only made more amusing because when the "spoonee" woke up and asked what was going on, he was told "Shhhhh. It's ok." Smile Sounds like my kind of place!
latest report
Stayed at the Monique a few years ago and had a mystery intruder in the middle of the night. They didn't stay long which I assumed was because they realised their mistake. However the only possible other guest it could have been continues to this day to deny it was her so Frosty's tale has me wondering...
ski holidays
Look at La-Tania.co.uk for a video snow report. I love the blues and greens above 1650 and we didn't even go off the Courcheval side when we went last year.
latest report
go prepared to get out skiing ASAP when you get there, there is a free button lift that can be entertaining for a couple hours or you may even be able to get a half day pass

Sandwich shop next to rocky's bar and rocky's bar for food

Get the edge and wax after your first day skiing
latest report
For the greatest burger in the world (possibly a slight exaggeration but it is very good...) go to the little snack kiosk by the Sherpa in Mottaret. Also serves damned fine tartiflette. Cheap, tasty and filling.
ski holidays
daehwons wrote:
go prepared to get out skiing ASAP when you get there, there is a free button lift that can be entertaining for a couple hours or you may even be able to get a half day pass

Anyone know what lift that is? Can't see an obvious lift running from 1650 on the piste map that could be this one - anyone know the name of it?

We like to get out on the first afternoon to get even half an hour in - just means all the ski gear is out and working, and quicker start on day 1 as a result.
ski holidays
I guess these sorts of places can offer a good skiing experience, depending upon what you want and each to their own, I suppose. But I would maintain that there is so much better out there, with more variety, more authenticity and much, much better value. The three valleys is skiiing's equivalent of Disney: easy on the eye but fundamentally an unpleasant notion in overall terms. It's impersonal, it's an eyesore generally, it's a facade of Savoyard culture and it gives the homogenised ski experience that so many of us, in fact, are opposed to and want to escape. To jump out of the Saulire bubble is to enter the skiing equvalent of the Arc du Triomphe, to ski the Grand Couloir is to deceive yourself into thinking you've skied a couloir and to think that 'le plus grande domaine skiable du monde' equates to quality is to seriously misunderstand what quality skiing really is. If skiing were all about who, metaphorically speaking, had the biggest cock, then this area would win hands down. But it isn't. Andermatt is so desirable because it avoids these pitfalls. Champoluc likewise and the Gressoney Trinite overall. What these places only lack is the mega miles of piste, the truly shocking prices and the New Labour spiv style marketing but given everything else, they win hands down.

Do the three valleys to death, like I did in the 80's, and then find the gems-they're out there.
latest report
its TK belvedere

and mickey(bit micky mouse though)
snow report
Restaurant in 1650 - try La Table de Marie near the Bubble Bar and La Boulotte.
latest report
Monium wrote:
daehwons wrote:

Anyone know what lift that is? Can't see an obvious lift running from 1650 on the piste map that could be this one - anyone know the name of it?

We like to get out on the first afternoon to get even half an hour in - just means all the ski gear is out and working, and quicker start on day 1 as a result.

You're looking for Mickey and Belverade (sp?). Go up the escalator and walk past the bubble towards two visible drags and you're there. Have fun!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy