Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Online' Check-In

Poster: A snowHead
Is it me or has this become a joke?

Originally it worked well and I recall one trip last season where we went to the bag drop, handed over bags, and walked away, to the envy of the queue of people waiting to check in.

But now the check in line and the bag drop line seem to be the same line, and all the online check in does is give them your passport number to save the check in clerk typing it in. (Oh and saves them printing out a boarding card as well!) Still have to show passports. Still have to answer stupid, patronising questions about someone else packing my bag. Still have to hold up my carry on bag to be assessed like a naughty schoolboy.

Oh and can anyone in the airline industry tell me why everyone in the party has to be at check in? If the only reason we have to queue is to drop off bags, and therefore, had we no bags, we could all go straight through security, then why do we all have to queue up like sheep just because we are checking a couple of bags?

I haven't mentioned an airline and I won't because this is a general problem caused by stupid rules. The throng of people at check-in or security is now an equally tempting, and far more accessible, target for atrocities than the plane itself. Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sanman, depends on the airline. On Saturday at the Cathay check in in Brisbane, the Business Class queue was longer than the economy one (because all the HK expats going home are frequent flyers!) and the fast bag drop was empty. I'm sure half the people in the business class queue had already checked in online too...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You should be quite careful describing anywhere at an airport as a tempring and accessible target for atrocities.

The reason you have to queue for check in is that they have to ask those patronising questions about your bags. Only the people checking in bags should need to queue up, if it's a major issue put them on separate bookings so some of the group can go straight through with hand luggage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We fly hand luggage only with Ryanair from Stansted regularly and have not had to do the passport/questions bit. Are you sure you didn't get diverted to the wrong line? Did you ask why you had to deal with a human?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne, we were checking in bags so had to queue up to hand them in. The person employed to marshal the queue was clear that everyone had to go in the same line.

I didnt dare ask questions because my experience is that this only makes things worse and airlines have a tendency to treat even the mildest questioning of their procedures as a challenge to security. So I grin and bear it with everyone else.

Monium, I doubt I am the only one who has noticed this.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sanman wrote:
Rather than a joke hasn't it just become the norm (and therefore just about everyone joins the same queue)?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's fantastic though if you just have hand luggage. I flew to Lyon with EJ in September and avoided a big queue on my return at Lyon going straight through to security.

Even with luggage I've always found, so far, that it has got me through quicker. Saturday 19th February at Luton will be the big test I think.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B wrote:
It's fantastic though if you just have hand luggage.
That's the main benefit IMO, especially with truly online checking through various smartphone apps that mean you don't even need to print out a boarding pass just flash your phone.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think they'd be impressed with my 4 year old basic Nokia with a big crack in the display wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends on a combination of the airline, the airport and the particular member of staff you speak to. Going out to Munich before Xmas I checked in on-line, but still hat to queue with everyone else to get baggage tags. The gentleman on the desk was less well informed than me, telling me I was lucky to get free ski carriage because they usually charge but we're letting it go because of the big queues caused by snow in Munich. I tried to tell him that it was explicitly stated in the Ts&Cs that it was free but he was having none of it. I let that one go.

On the return trip I'd booked on-line. Massive queue at Munich to get tagged but when the line manager lady spotted my skis she directed me to desk 26 for oversize luggage. I pointed at my normal roller bag and she said no problem, do them both at 26. No queue, took 30 seconds. The chap at the desk wasn't even interested in seeing my passport. Job's a good 'un.

Goes to show that when the staff are given the latitude to think for themselves then everything runs that little bit smoother. That was only on the German side though, obv.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 4-01-11 14:29; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The thing that really does work well is day before check-in which is sometimes available on charter flights. You have to live close enough to the airport that it isn't a problem for you to make the extra trip the day before and you have to time it so that you avoid the check in queues of the previous day's flights. It's great we have done it about 3 times now. You do go straight through to security the next morning.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What really works well is in town check in Hong Kong. You can check in at the airport express station any time on the day you leave, up to 1.5 hrs prior to your flight leaving, before you travel to the airport. Saves on draggin luggage around!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
EJ's hand luggage policy (max size, no weight limit) is also causing a problem now. On most of the flights I've been on recently it has take some time to find space for everyone's hand luggage. This led to a short delay on one flight.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sanman,

Quote:
I didnt dare ask questions because my experience is that this only makes things worse and airlines have a tendency to treat even the mildest questioning of their procedures as a challenge to security. So I grin and bear it with everyone else.

I know exactly what you mean Crying or Very sad
snow report
Colin B, don't get me started on that! I measured all our hand luggage, having been previously forced to put it in the "gauge" to see if I could be fleeced a few more £££

And on our flight back yesterday I saw at least two travellers with hand bags nearly as big as my check in bag.

Like I said ... grin and bear it.

beanie1, I recall many years ago flying Virgin from Orlando, you could check in at 10 am in a car park (they had a mobile van thingy) and then turn up at the airport in the evening and walk straight through to security. 9/11 put paid to that I suspect.
ski holidays
In 2008 I flew from Kapalua on Maui to Honolulu with Go Airlines. "Check in" was from a phone on the counter as you entered the place.
latest report
we've flown ryanair out of stansted quite a few times with cabin baggage and quite often seen people getting on with bags as big as they are! but last time we came back from Bergamo they were having a bit of a crack down and measuring peoples cabin baggage at security; this was not going down well with most of the local Italian crowd!..........
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
What really works well is in town check in Hong Kong. You can check in at the airport express station any time on the day you leave, up to 1.5 hrs prior to your flight leaving, before you travel to the airport. Saves on draggin luggage around!

Many a-time I've checked in at the airport express at the end of a business day, before a leisurely meal with friends somewhere up the escalator, followed by getting the train for a midnight flight. Flat-bed seat and a couple of G&Ts and Bob's your uncle!
snow conditions
Quote:

Not just you. We checked in online for a recent return flight from Munich with easyjet. The supposed bag drop was a joke with the staff member taking an eternity to process each bag. Meanwhile the passengers joining the normal check in queue were speedily dealt with - with people joining that queue ages after us being dealt with ages before we were.

The moral? No point whatsoever in online check in.
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:
It's fantastic though if you just have hand luggage. I flew to Lyon with EJ in September and avoided a big queue on my return at Lyon going straight through to security.

Indeed.

When I went tro Jersey for a long weekend in October, I checked in online for both the outward and return flights before I left home (with BMIBaby you can check in up to 7 days before the flight).

It did make me laugh though that when you do that, and when you only have hand luggage, they still ask you the questions about whether you packed your bags yourself and have they been left unattended - this being for both flights, before I had even traveled out!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy