Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tuning a ski for carving ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought a pair of Scott Realm ladies twintip for my daughter (20, strong skier). Reason I went for those was (a) good value ex-rental deal from edge2edge (b) she claimed she didn't want a "challenging" ski - she is short (5'1") and light. Just been away to Val Thorens and, surprise surprise, although they perform OK on and off piste, they are pretty characterless. In her words, they do everything OK, but nothing especially well.

Of course, that does have its benefits as it gives me a chance to keep up sometimes (I use Salamon Streetracer 10 that carve as if on rails, on just about anything) but it does take some of the grin factor away.

So, I thought I might try to tune the edges better for carving, except I'm not sure what angle that might be, or if that would be a waste of time. Any suggestions please?

(The ski is shown here http://www.revolutionz.co.uk/product/Ski-Hardware/Skis/Touring-and-Telemark/SCOTT/REALM/-13281 and there is a commentary in French here
http://youtube.com/v/1GPnsFV6KOs - Realm is 2nd from right)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Scott FAQ shows that their skis are milled 89° side and 0.75° base edge tuning - or in my language 1 and .75. That surprised me - I thought they used to be 2 and .5. FWIW, after chatting to Spyderjon a week or so I am setting my Missions at 3 and .5. Hopefully those more expert than I will pitch up with advice. Spyderjon would be your best man - but I think he may be skiing this week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ham, just stick the good old 1 & 3 degree on it.

Works with anything.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, I set my Salomons at 2 and 1, which is what I think they are manufactured at. Never too sure if there is any benefit changing on an "average" ski, or if the manufacturer sets to the best for the car, but I don't suppose it can hurt trying 3 & 1. That sort-of translates into I've never tried, hence the question.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ham, the benefits of changing the manufactured setting is imho marginal unless your racing or skiing ice. If your skis are currently "running on rails" I'm not sure that your going to get much more from them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jbob .- Its the Streetracer 10's that run on rails. I have the same in 160 and they are a very good on piste carving ski. I 'wind up the windows' when i fully engage the edges at speed as the grip and bite and subsequent turn is powerful and hard to get your head around. I love mine.
Its the Scotts that lack the same characteuristics , and i dont think an edge grind is going to make a big difference. I am no expert , but its got to be more to do with construction techniques and materials, sidecut and binding position / mountings .
Sorry , thats no help really
rob
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to add ,
They are a twin tip ski, so some allowance for park use will have been built in . They might be engineered 'softer' for use on the rails, and landing from jumps, fakey etc.
Might just be they are not an out and out carving ski ( I have a pair of Rossi scratch twins and they dont carve like a SR10 ) but a do it all park and piste ski. What are the magic numbers and the turn radius?
that might give an indication to the style of skiing they are designed for.
still not really helpfull. rob.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy