Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Esf Creches

Poster: A snowHead
(This is Mrs jomo) just wondering if anyone has had experience good or bad with the ESF Creches? I'm still a bit nervous and unsure whether or not to put our will be 34 month old son in when we go to Val Thorens at Easter.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I want him to go in as I think it's good prep for ski school next year. Is there any chance that (because he's only two months short of his 3rd birthday) they'll put him into ski school anyway.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It depends such a lot on the child. If he already toddles off happily to a pre-school group of some kind, without mum and dad, he'd probably be OK. But a bit hard on him if his first experience is a non English-speaking environment.

I don't think many ESFs put even 3 year olds in "proper" ski school as opposed to some kind of kindergarten.

Incidentally it was noticeable today, skiing in Crest Voland, that ESF ski school groups were of 4 - 6 people. The "out of school holiday" difference! One group of 5 little boys, around 6 - 7 years old, looked to be having a spiffing time with a young and bouncy instructor.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have used the Mon'en Ski service in Le Grand Bornand three times now. I think it's an ESF service - if it's not, it's run by the 'town' and linked to ESF. The facilty is right next door (in the same building) to ESF on the slopes. We dropped the kids off there at 9:30, they took them to lessons, picked them up, fed them and then let them play til about 2pm when we pick them up. The staff there are wonderful but speak very little English. Most of the other kids there were French. It didn't seem to make the slightest difference to our kids who could communicate, play and have fun with the other kids regardless of language. Actually, one of our daughters did sometimes complain that she didn't want to go because they didn't speak English. She was, of course, the hardest one to get out of the place when we came to pick them up. I would recommend them unreservedly.

Having said (typed) all that I've jusy checked and the minimum age is 4 but it does give me confidence in (i) the professionalism of ESF childcare and (ii) the ability of kids to mix and have fun regardless of language.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By 'ski school' I mean on skis in the Snow Garden as opposed to being inside doing colouring and playing with toys etc
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
garethjomo, our local ESF creche (which a number of guests have rebooked because the kids have loved it so much last year and it sounds pretty much identical to the situation in Le Grand Bornand) will certainly take them out on sledges in the snow garden at that age, but not sure whether they'd put them on skis under the age of 3...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ps official minimum ski age is 4, but they definitely do let 3 year-olds ski (but, again, I don't think they do younger than 3).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
miranda, The website says the ski school (Snow Garden) is for 36 months plus and the creche from 3 to 35 months. He'll be 34 months. I dont mind him being in the creche but he could be a lot older than the others in it so may be easier to put him with the other kids. But there could be insurance reasons etc as to why they wont be able to.

Thanks
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
garethjomo, if you tell them he is 3 which he is really then they will let him start in the Piou Piou Club snow garden. We have just been in Alpe d'Huez where they will let them try Piou Piou from 2.5 years but I think this is unusual. You could also try one of the independent ski schools, you might get smaller classes and a bit more progress. Last week in ADH there must have been 30-40 kids in Piou Piou in the mornings.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Last week in ADH there must have been 30-40 kids in Piou Piou in the mornings.

I bet there are a lot fewer this week. garethjomo, if your littlie is so little, why not take advantage and have a few ski holidays in term time, when it's all so much quieter? Or have you got older kids too? (though Easter will be nothing like as busy as New Year, which is just mad).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, absolutely, it was beautifully quiet yesterday Very Happy garethjomo look at Prosneige, they offer a similar deal for littlies and I would put money on it that there will be far fewer kids in the group.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, tbh I'm talking about a little village ESF where they actually are very flexible about letting parent and child decide how 'old' the child really is in terms of activity despite official stated ages because the groups are always so small they can always switch things about very easily if someone's not having fun... so they say 4, start them at 3 if you and the kid are happy and if you said your 34-month old was 36 months, it wouldn't really be a problem... and sounds, from sarah, he should be able to give it a go where you're going... they are almost impossibly cute at that age on mini skis. Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a teacher so have to go in holidays. Although Easter holidays are well spread apart this year between the end of march and the end of April.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have spoken to ESF Val Thorens and they will let him try the piou piou club for the first day nd if he is ok then he can stay if not he has to go into creche.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DD went into the ESF creche in Prapoutel (Les Sept Laux) when she was about 39 months (it was only for 2 half days so didn't put her into Piou Piou). This is a small, French resort with not many English speakers and the staff in the creche didn't speak much English either. DD managed fine. We had originally booked her in for just the one session but when we asked her she was happy to go in for a second session so it can't have been that bad!
ski holidays
garethjomo wrote:
I have spoken to ESF Val Thorens and they will let him try the piou piou club for the first day nd if he is ok then he can stay if not he has to go into creche.

That's good news, all the best with it and let us know how it goes afterwards snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy