Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice on luggage allowance for monarch charter flights, 10kg ski limit?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hello,

first post on this forum, apologies if i have posted is in the wrong section.

i'm going on a trip with skitotal on the 9th of January and having trouble with the ski baggage allowance

my usual traveling setup involves a single (big) coffin-bag style, which has everything in it, skis, poles, boots, helmets, clothes, everything.
last time i travelled this weighed 26kg.

according to ski total a ski bag must be booked, even if its your only bag, at a cost of £35, flying on a chartered flight with monarch. Slightly disappointed with this as its a ski trip, so reluctantly accept this only to find out that the ski bag has to be under 10kg ! so im going to have to take another bag and a boot bag and a ski bag, a bit of a hassle.

when i spoke to ski total they said that this was a common restriction (the 10kg limit) that airlines have taken into effect this year. Has anyone had any experience with this that have traveled recently? Will they care at checkin? Is it possible to pool together weight allocations for ski bags + normal bags?

I've never had a problem before with this, if anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated !

Douglas
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
douglas, I think that's the same with most charter flights. It's certainly true of Thomson. The idea is that you have a separate hold bag and ski bag (and boot bag if you wish). I realise this doesn't work so well for some people's luggage, but it's OK for me, my ski bag literally fits a pair of skis and poles only, boots go in my hold bag. It doesn't seem the most flexible situation, but I daresay these ski charter flights have these rules for a reason. Maybe to stop people taking a hold bag and a ski bag stuffed to the brim with other luggage thereby doubling their luggage capacity.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just come back on a Monarch charter today and there were several "coffin" ski bags being carried. They looked fairly full and not questioned by the check-in staff.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flew on a Monarch charter flight Christmas week and my stuffed board bag weighed in at over 15kgs no one seemed particularly bothered and one of my groups checked bags weighed in at 23 kgs - again no problem. Of course that may have been because of the chaos the weather had already caused at Gatwick - they just couldn't face the delay making us unpack would cause wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
douglas, welcome to sH. I'm also travelling on a Monarch charter next week and am amazed by the apparently meagre luggage limits.

20kg hold + only 5kg hand baggage? WTF. What happened to "if you can lift it into the locker it goes on"?

In fact the Monarch FAQ says that 20kg per passenger includes the 5kg hand luggage. That's the same as Ryanair.

I always assumed that a charter flight meant a civilized experience. Not hastily putting on 3 jumpers and both your coats at checkin to try and avoid a £50 excess baggage charge.

I've never travelled charter before, and at this rate won't be doing so again I don't think. At least I know where I am with sleazyJet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy