Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for some advice on booking a trip to Lech/Oberlech

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, first post here Smile

I am thinking of going to either Lech or Oberlech in early March from the UK.
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on whether to book it as a package with one of the big companies or as an independent trip? Trying to save a few pounds.

Many thanks Fellow Snowheads!

Worz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
worz666, We used inghams to book the montanna in oberlech last year , and couldntn put it together any cheaper ourselves, went in march and it was fab snowHead

Welcome to Snowheads snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
worz666, I go to Lech via Swiss from LCY to ZCH (£100), Arlbergexpress coach from ZCH to Lech (€75) and stay at the Gotthard (c. €100 pppn)

All very easy to do DIY... which hotels are you looking at with the TO's and at what prices?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Done it twice ourselves - very easy and cheaper than any package holiday I found when I was looking. Swissair from Manchester to Zurich. Train from Zurich airport to Langden am arlberg, taxi (about 35 euros) to Lech.

Stayed at pension Michaela....which was fine and comfortable and cheap for oberlech. Rooms fine - food was great, as long as you liked pork!

Would recommend it highly!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
worz666, a quick rule of thumb is that if you're travelling in school holidays or have an awkward party size, independent travel is likely to be cheaper. If you're a couple or family of four travelling in term time, a package is very likely to be competitive. If you're willing to risk a last minute bargain, a package will almost certainly be the cheapest option, but you might end up skiing in Italy or Andorra if things go badly - not that there's anything wrong with Italy or Andorra; they're just not your first choice.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oberlech is a better base than lech in my opinion - ski in ski out and nicer setting. Have stayed at the Montana twice and the food is simply stunning. Had do do diy though, although I always diy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the comments! Very helpful.
I have been looking on Inghams and Crystal and there now doesn't seem to be much choice left for the end of Feb or early March. I cant seem to see anything for oberlech with these two operators either?

The Swiss Air LCY to Zurich looked promising as that would be very convienient for us but the return journeys on saturdays didnt seem to coincide with the express coach <shrugs>

Any other ideas for places to ski that are similar? I am after a snow sure resort that is suitable for a timid beginner as well as some advanced stuff for me. Not too busy, good scenery and great atmosphere. I dont really care what country.
Our dates are pretty flexible but I dont want to leave it much later as the wife likes to have things all booked up early rolling eyes

thanks again
worz
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
worz666, I sometimes go out from LCY and back into LHR to make the flights work - did you try that?

Personally, I don't think Oberlech is the better bet, I prefer the main village so I wouldn't get too hung up on that.

Similar resorts are Zurs, just up the valley, or perhaps Serfaus / Fiss.

Ischgl and St Anton are in the same area but not so suitable for you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
worz666, early March is Fasching (carnival, finishes on Ash Wednesday) which means a lot of Germans and Austrians take holiday around then which may be why it is tricky finding spaces?

Worth a look? http://www.alpineanswers.co.uk/deals/show/784559?by=asc&date=14&order=resort
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lech is a wonderful resport - been three times. Fly to Zurich with Swiss then get Arlberg Express. Used their coach twice and once their private transfer minibus - with a group of 8 the cost difference is marginal and much more flexible and enable skiing on the last day. Stayed at the Hotel arabella - fantasic food. Last year stayed at Hotel Lech / Chesa Rosa, also very good. The Lech-Zuers website (www.lech-zuers.at) is very good and has a vast selection of properties at all prices - most of which are not on the package list. For Lech we always go DIY. There is a very good ski rental shop right beside the main lift in the centre of town where you can leave skis and boots overnight so you don't need ski in ski out. The ski bus is very good up and down the village. Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

most of which are not on the package list.

A good point. Lech is not really a large destination for the UK package tour operators (certainly not compared to St Anton for example).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am midway through booking a few days in Lech myself. We are going Mon to Fri so no real TO options. Despite booking this week to go in second week in Feb, it has not been too much trouble to find a hotel near the lifts (expensive mind!) and some reasonable flights to ZCH arriving early. The problem I am finding is getting from ZCH to Lech at reasonable speed on a Monday. I am sure it must be possible to fit in some skiing in Lech on that day if we can be in ZCH by 0840(!) but the Alberg express times are not very convenient and route suggested by DBB to get to Langden involves an hour and 20 mins changing at St Anton. Anyone know how long and how expensive it would be to get from St Anton to Lech by other means?

We went to Serfaus a couple of years ago and would highly recommend if you decide against Lech. Nice village and varied slopes that were not too busy, though the advanced skiing might be a bit limited. Likely to be a fair amount cheaper than Lech as well I would have thought.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NoWaffle, cab from St Anton to ZCH is 300€ one way, so the same from Lech I think. speak to the arlbergexpress guys, thay will sort you out
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NoWaffle, Taxi! Cant imagine it would be €300 though! We often got taxi to Zurs for about €80 which was only €10 per person! Maybe the lads just struck a harder bargain. I cant take the credit for the price as I was always one of the last down from the hill!! Embarassed
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think I under estimated the cost of ski holidays to Lech. It is all very doable for me as a DIY package to Zurich and plenty of accommodation on the websites that you guys pointed me to. I dont fancy the 3 hour coach journey to be honest and the cost of Taxis are well above what I would pay. 300 seems to be the going rate I found too.

I last went skiing to Whistler about 9 years ago. After reading reviews I decided Lech would be the best choice for a resort with varied and much quieter slopes than the rest of europe....I think I should have looked at prices before deciding thats where i wanted to go Embarassed
I need to research some cheaper options and have been scouring the forums for ideas, I may have to start another thread when i get a shortlist together.
Will have a look at Serfaus as red and NoWaffle suggested.
Although I like a bit of the steep stuff. My primary concern is the wife has a nice place to ski not too crowded and some decent long cruisers for her to get her confidence back.

Regards
worz
latest report
Hire a car?
snow conditions
worz666, Serfaus is a great resort and I love it there. It would be a nice place for your wife. However it's not cheap and I'm not sure that the TOs go there any more - we went there the last 2 years with Inghams but I'm pretty sure they no longer go there.

We went with Ski Total to Lech last year - they currently have vacancies at the Chalethotel Sonneck for week comm 27/02 at £859 or for 20/03 at £659 http://www.skitotal.com/AccommodationDetails.aspx?accomId=2030 . The chalet hotel is perfectly fine and although a bus ride from the slopes, there's a very good bus service in operation. I'm pretty sure the transfer was more like 1.5 or 2 hours.
ski holidays
Transfers to Lech are much quicker from either Freidrichschafen (about 90 mins to 2 hrs - downside it's Ryanair) or Innsbruck - probably an hour max.

worz666, I think you mentioned much earlier that you didn't mind which country. That being so take a look at the Dolomites in Italy, stunning scenery and loads of confidence boosting runs but also some steeper stuff especially in Arabba and the mens downhill on the Saslong piste in Val Gardena, and the GS in Alta Badia. We went to Corvara a couple of years ago with Colletts - very reasonably priced : http://www.colletts.co.uk/winter/
snow conditions
worz666, have you looked at Kappl? Although only 45km in resort (much more in valley, inc Ischgl, See, Galtur and Samnaun) but pistes lovely and long and blissfully quiet. Not in the same league as Lech but costing us a fifth of what we paid for Oberlech a few years back Shocked , and we're still ski in ski out Very Happy Went last year with family and heading back again next Saturday. Sandwiched in between St Anton and Serfaus.

One of the things I liked about the skiing in Kappl was that the main chairs have black red and blue options leading from them, all of which meet up, so was great for me as it meant I could say ski the black with my eldest whislt my wife skied the red or blue with my youngest kids and vice versa.

Only an hour from Innsbruck.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy