Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton getting from Rendl to Alp Rauz question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
We will be staying on the Lech side of the Arlberg region in Austria later in January.
I tried the Rendl lift last year on my own (not great snow depths then) heading over via the Post Bus and returning via the Galzig and Valluga trams to Alp Rauz to catch the free blue bus back to the Lech side.
This year I want to bring my imtermediate skiing skills girlfriend over to ski Rendl, but I don't think she would be comfortable at the top of the Valluga area.
Question: Can I ski down the Nr. 8 piste to St. Cristoph and then walk over to the Arlenmahderban chairlift or is there a better way to get from the top of the Galzig tram to the base of Alp Rauz?

Thanks. Randy - Hoping the alps start to get snow.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
randyw, no you can't, or at least it would be a real pain.

You need to get to the top of Osthangbahn or Zamermoosbahn and then either take the black Arlensattel (which is not that tricky and I am not really sure why it gets called black, but it can get hard packed and icy so maybe there is my answer) or the blue Schwarze Wand - take the left fork.

They both meet up in the same place and from there you can ski down to Arlenmahderbahn and from there direct to Alpe Rauz... (someone may say I'm talking nonsense on Schwarze Wand I can't quite visualise it...).

Thinks that's right anyway... wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
or you can ski #8 to St Cristoph and catch a bus to Alpe Rauz. They leave every 15-20 minutes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or just get the bus from the Rendlbahn base station back to Lech, think it's only a couple of Euros.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski buses are free; post buses carry a small charge. The ski bus network strangely has Alpe Rauz as an important centre - you can get a free bus to Lech from Alpe Rauz but not from St Anton or Rendl. Also, some buses simply shuttle between St Cristoph and Alpe Rauz without extending the trip to St Anton. However, as you point out, the charge for the post buses isn't exactly excessive.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

strangely has Alpe Rauz as an important centre

Thats because the border Arlberg/ Vorarlberg border is there and for some reason the buses terminate at the border, its apparently an old regional deal.

I agree with the above re buses (or even flag down a taxi), but IMO rather than going by bus from St Christoph, it would be worth as nozawaonsen, says above trying to do the short black from top of Zammermoosbahn/ Osthang and down to Arlenmahdlerbahn. From St Anton I'd come up Galzigbahn, quick run down Osthang blue and up 4 person Osthang chair.............at the top the black section down to Alpe Rauz is only 200-300m long and if you keep to the right hand side (or ideally left, but I think its steeper there) and take it steady I'm sure she'll be fine, just be careful at the bottom because people "let it go, (including me)" fairly high up so they can get up the slope to Valfegherbahn, and you'll maybe crossing slowly at the bottom to get across to go down to Arlenmahdler piste. They'll have seen you crossing, but best to be safe!

The benefits of doing this IMO are great - ie you get to do the Alpe Rauz piste down from just above Ulmer Hutte where Arlenmahdler lift comes in, one of the best pisted runs in Europe IMO and I reckon most feel the same Toofy Grin ...........its just a mega run (especially if you can tempt your girlfriend to get up Schindlergrat and do the full run, again OK if she takes the top steady)..........also at the bottom consider keeping right and going under the tunnel at Alpe Rauz down to Stuben and up Albona 1 and 2, theres a new last season run #S5 off the right of S3 (or alternatively #S1 the normal big run) on here that drops you back down to Alpe Rauz and provides a great end to the day, usually great snow, north facing slopes and snow in great condition.

By the way the "big-plan" is to link from Alpe Rauz over to Trittkopf, ie St Anton and Zurs, taken years to get agreement but rumour has it that this is coming in next few seasons. That'll be fantastic, great skiing at Zurs!!

We'll be there on 15th............cant wait. Have fun Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
randyw,

By the way if your staying in Lech, remember thats Vorarlberg not Arlberg, like saying telling a Yorkshireman that Leeds is in Lancashire, I suggest!! War of The Roses sorted that one out, but I'd hate you to end up with a diamond encrusted Lech person with the hump running you out of town!! wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IMO the best option is NOT to get the bus from Alp Raus as this can be a very busy terminus; we avoid it as you can wait for a number of busses that come in full before you get on one; best bet is to spend the few Euro's and get the post-bus from St. A back; we stay in St. A and are going the opposite direction; but it can be very busy at Alpe Raus at the end of the day getting back!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

you can wait for a number of busses that come in full before you get on one

Fair comment, been there myself trying to get back with a group from Zurs however IMO its better to have done the run and have a bit of hassle than have never done the run and be sat on a bus. We've flagged a taxi van down in the past, and teamed up with others and shared a fare, you'll always get home..........if you leave it late then there's fewer people at the bus-stop and the buses run until late, think its 5.30-6pm for ski bus, and post bus until 10pm?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the advice.
I think I'll keep three options depending on how the day goes:
Catch a bus at St. Anton, St. Cristoph, or at Alpe Rauz.
My girlfriend has not ridded the new Galzigbahn and experienced the loading process, so that is a factor Smile
P.S. I have stayed at the Lech side and the free blue bus from Lech to St. Anton seems to be more crowded with people coming over to Lech from St. Anton, so the Alpe Rauz to Lech buses at the end of the day are way less crowded than ones returning from Lech.
Thanks. Randy - looks like snow next weekend ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
randyw, Big snowfall expected next weekend, and all the following week forecast snow, needs it I think.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29 wrote:
randyw,

By the way if your staying in Lech, remember thats Vorarlberg not Arlberg, like saying telling a Yorkshireman that Leeds is in Lancashire, I suggest!! War of The Roses sorted that one out, but I'd hate you to end up with a diamond encrusted Lech person with the hump running you out of town!! wink

It's not really the same as Yorkshire/Lancashire... "The Arlberg" is just an informal name for the region around the Arlberg Pass. The two provinces are Voralrberg (the Lech/Zuers side of the pass) and Tyrol (the St Anton side). If you said Lech was in the Tyrol you'd be wrong, but I don't think anyone would be upset or confused if you described the area as Arlberg, even though the province is indeed Vorarlberg.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 3-01-11 16:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:

I agree with the above re buses (or even flag down a taxi), but IMO rather than going by bus from St Christoph, it would be worth as nozawaonsen, says above trying to do the short black from top of Zammermoosbahn/ Osthang and down to Arlenmahdlerbahn. From St Anton I'd come up Galzigbahn, quick run down Osthang blue and up 4 person Osthang chair.............at the top the black section down to Alpe Rauz is only 200-300m long and if you keep to the right hand side (or ideally left, but I think its steeper there) and take it steady I'm sure she'll be fine, just be careful at the bottom because people "let it go, (including me)" fairly high up so they can get up the slope to Valfegherbahn, and you'll maybe crossing slowly at the bottom to get across to go down to Arlenmahdler piste. They'll have seen you crossing, but best to be safe!

I think that's the best way. As you say that top bit from the Osthang chair to Arlenmahdler is a black for a short section and people to tend to belt it down there, but so long as it's not icy it's actualy a very easy black and I think they piste it more often now - I've not seen serious bumps on it for a long time. It is much easier on the right, but to get to Arlenmahdler you need to be on the left... I'd probably take a more timid skier down on the right and then cross over when it all flatten out.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy