Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, this might be a bit of a bone question so consider yourselves pre-warned...

I have just bought a new pair of skis (and my first, exciting times!!) will they need waxing or anything doing to them before they are used or will they come ready to go?

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They're ready to go.....

No need to do anything......unless you are a ski racer and need the edge angles grinding with side bevel angles of 2 degrees to 3 degrees, and base edge bevels of 0 degrees to 1 degrees

Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crazy Climber, it maybe worth you asking Spyderjon he is one of the resident SH experts when it comes to ski tuning especially on new skis
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Exciting - what did you get!? As stated, should be fine unless you have a particular way you want the edges done.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crazy Climber, Assume they've got bindings fitted? wink Have they been adjusted for your boots and DIN set correctly?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
... and forward pressure screw thingy adjusted?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What skis did you go for Crazy Climber? Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Crazy Climber, They should have a factory wax on them but I wouldn't expect that to last more than a few days.
I'd recommend you at least have them waxed and have the edge angles (side and base bevels) checked. They should have been set up for your boots by a ski technician. More TLC wont do them any harm at all.

I had my own and Megamum's new skis checked and hot boxed waxed by spyderjon. An excellent job was done!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went for the package deal that Snow and Rock are running this year as it seemed a sensible thing for my experience and budget. So the skis are Fischer but off the top of my head cant remember the model... and yea the bindings are fitted and set up to my height, weight etc.

I was looking at Spyderjon's website earlier, thinking about doing one of his courses later in the year. but as I'm not too close to Nottingham it might not be feasible to get him to check them before their first outing (I'm flying on the 15th Jan)

Roughly what would I be looking at cost wise to get them checked in resort when I arrive? I'm going to Kitzbuehel Austria if anyone has had any experience with the techs out there.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Roughly what would I be looking at cost wise to get them checked in resort when I arrive?

I wouldn't bother to have them checked when you arrive, they should be fine for a few days. Ski on them, and when the bases start to look a bit grey where the pressure is (generally towards the middle) take them into a shop for waxing - about 12 euros. The wax will go quicker on artificial snow.

Have fun. snowHead

S & R will do a free service for you after your holiday, presumably, as part of the package?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy