Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OTG goggles used with transition lens glasses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for asking such a sad question...

Been using a pair of Bolle OTG goggles for the last few years and have now realised that the vision is not as good as it could be, I reckon this is due to me wearing glasses with transitions lenses underneath them, making them rather dark

Anyone else have this problem and if so, what OTG goggles can you recommend me or a particular lens colour please?

Thanks a lot

Paul
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the transitions lenses are your problem, not the goggles.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, I think so too, just wondered if anyone else had the same problem and found a way round it

I only have glasses with transition lenses btw Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
UV light is what triggers the transition lenses so the better the UV resistance of the goggles the less this will be a problem (this is also why they transition lenses don't work in the car).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I concur with Hampster.
The goggles should, in theory, filter out 100% of the UV, meaning that there is none left to activate your transitions - in theory. (I say in theory because I have a UV meter in my optical lab - very few prescription glasses that I have tested actually achieve 0% UV transmittance, although most but not all goggles do.)
One idea is to get a pair of clear (untinted) goggles, I have a pair of these which I use for night climbing and they are excellent. However you may find that you are not adequately protected from glare. It is important to experiment here - try your transitions glasses on the snow and see if you find them dark enough. Beware though, in really bright conditions eg descending the Vallee Blanche in full sun, you need cat 3 or even cat 4 goggles, your transitions will not be dark enough and unless they are a wrap-around style will not protect you from glare or spindrift from the sides. It only takes a few moments exposure to strong UV to get snow-blindness (which is the same condition as arc eye from welding.)
Hope this helps
Chris (optometrist, N Wales.)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks guys, much appreciated !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy