Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rucksack size for off-piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, We are off to Argentiere on the 8th January with UCPA for our first go at "proper" off-piste skiing. They provide tranciever, shovel, probe etc. but what size rucksack would be suitable? As we have climbed, mountaineered, and mountain walked for several decades we have a large selection to choose from, but being new to off-piste skiing are unsure of the best size.

Robin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have an 18l Black Diamond frenzy that fits everything in ok. Wouldn't be much use if you were going anywhere overnight but as a day pack its fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobinS, For a day trip I tend to use my Dakine Heli-pak which is pretty small. Mine is the old version so the shovel fits on the outside leaving room for the other paraphernalia inside.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobinS, you will also need space for extra layers, spare gloves, liquids etc - as you will know as a climber. Skins and first aid kit if going further afield. 18-22l should be fine unless you are planning to overnight somewhere.

What I would check is that your pack can carry a pair of skis in either an A-frame or diagonal configuration attached securely.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 31-12-10 18:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used to have the Dakine Heli Pak - which was fine for carrying off piste gear, but I found it too small to use as hand luggage on the plane. So I went to the other extraeme and now have a Deuter Guide 35 - which is a great size for plane hand luggage but a bit big for skiing with ..... although would be fine for longer/overnight trips I think.
Anyway it is very comfortable to wear - both on the snow and the plane so that is what I use.

If I was going for one allrounder, I would go for 25 litre sac.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, will have look in the loft, I believe MrsS has a nice Deuter 25 litre sack that will do fine, side compression straps should be OK for carrying skiis, and I have a similar 30 litre one (which is actually no bigger!), again side compression can make it smaller when not full, and we will need to carry lunch as well as it is provided by UCPA.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobinS, UCPA provide you with a rucksack when handing out the gear (shovel, probe, transceiver, helmet). It has all the straps and webbing you'll need. You don't have to use it but you'll have to keep it in your room if you use your own.

I took my own to UCPA Chamonix a couple of years ago but ended up using theirs. My BCA Stash wasn't big enough to cope with all my gear plus the enormous amount of food I tried to cram in.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am a big fan of the Heli-pak, but anything 12L to 20L will be fine.
Don't go bigger than you need, you'll just end up filling it, & like mountaineering you want to keep it as light as possible.
The thing to watch with smaller packs is that it has a decent hip belt with a buckle you can undo wearing gloves.
A chest strap, and some way of attaching skis are important too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jzBun, Thanks for that, I can remember seeing somewhere that UCPA provide packs, but it not listed anywhere on the Action Outdoors information. I think we'll take our smallest climbing sacks and then whether we prefer to use thiers or ours, as rucksacks are sometimes one of those things where you are more comfortable with some than others.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dakine heli pro. Nuff said.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Captainpirateboy wrote:
Dakine heli pro. Nuff said.

Yup, great kit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy