Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

White foamy stuff on board after storage!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello Everybody

Yesterday I went to get my board out (GNU CHB) from my board bag and found a white deposit on it around both the binding areas. The substance was almost like a squashed mushroom with brown edges and an off white hew but squashed to about 1-2mm and it smelt bad. There is a chance it was foam padding put in there for some bizarre reason (i have 6 boards in there for storage) but it is unlikely.

I kept them in a Dakine bag in a warm, dry room and have never had this problem when storing them for the summer.

The question is, could this be from within my board and is it therefore about to break when i use it in 2 weeks time?

Any help is much appreciated,

Kind regards
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How long has it been in there?

My money is on a pretty advanced mould. Left any ski gear in there with the boards? Were they bone dry when they went in?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shocked sounds like some kind of fungus which germinated inside your boardbag during the off season. were the bindings left on it?
If its brand new it could have been a blob of unreacted core foam which has slowly been exposed to air and bubbled out...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well i always put my boards away fro the summer from May til December so a fair old time. I always do this and have never had a problem though. The board was most likely as dry as it could be but i suppose there is a small chance it could have been a little wet. I really think it is an organic compound as it smelled pretty horrible and not as all artificial as i would expect with anything from within the board?

Not a new board by any means.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, I wouldn't eat it, but have you tried just scraping it off and cleaning the board thoroughly? I'd be pretty amazed if you'd got something like that from the inside of the board.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i'd just get a bottle of surgical spirit, remove the bindings, wipe off the visible gunk, then give the top of the board a good wipe down with a paper towel soaked in the surgical spirit. this should help to kill off any mould that isn't immediately visible. make sure you clean the binding holes properly with an earbud soaked in surgical spirit too.

be aware though, if you have stickers on the top sheet, they may be affected by the surgical spirit as it's organic solvent.

oh, and use the surgical spirit to wipe down the bottom of the bindings too, along with the binding plates.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
a fungal spore could lodge in a scrape or crack and popup anywhere - i've seen them break through asphalt before now. Give the board a good rub down with an sterilising solution to kill off any remaining spores and repeat with anything thats been stored in proximity to it, ie in the same bag.

Photo of the board with fungus growing on it would've been fun though...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like klang180 is a fungi to be with. Toofy Grin

I'll get my coat!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink, leave the coat, it'll be sold to help the victims of your joke...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks guys and Alastair that was terrible but still worth the effort, nice one.

Ok well i will clean it with surgical spirit and then just hope for the best. Think i might take a back up board to the alps in a couple of weeks!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy