Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

EU Health Card (EHIC E111)

Poster: A snowHead
Question about the little credit card sized (blue) EU health entitlement card thingys.....

Me and the mrs have one, as does our 7yr old.

Now the 18month old is due to go away with us i thought i'd better get him one sorted too.

Go to apply online. You must be over 16 (or 18, cant remember) to apply, you cannot apply for one for your kids now. Only way he can get one is if i apply for one and he is tagged onto my application. You can put the whole family on one application.

But we already have cards issued!!

As you have to give your NI number, and i already have one, what will happen?

Should (can) i just re-apply for one and tag him on???

Anyone come across this before?

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ItsSnowJoke, the EHIC application FAQ says
Quote:

I wish to renew my EHIC, but my partner/child has a card which has not yet expired. Can I renew my card online?

Yes. Please enter details of all members of the family, including those who still have valid cards (a warning message will be displayed for those whose cards cannot be renewed). This will ensure that details of all members of the family remain linked. Only those whose cards have expired or are due to expire will receive new cards this time.

so it sounds like you just go through the application with you as the main applicant and add the details for the new mini-SH then it should work out that you cannot renew yours, warn you and get on with the card for the little'un?

I recall I got mine first a few years ago and then was able to get cards for the rest of the family afterwards, but cannot recall exactly how.
Otherwise try calling the 0845 number and see what they say?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Steve.

It must of changed as iirc i did 3 seperate applications for our ones. This was about 3-4 years ago though.

I'll give it a go and report back....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ItsSnowJoke, I needed to get a new card for my 7 year old. For some reason her card was taken out at a different time, I think her's had a mistake on it, anyway ....

Go on to the page and start to apply for yourself. It will come up saying that your card is not out of date so you do not need a new one. It will though still let you move on to the page to apply for a dependent, use your NI number and fill in the details. The screen will then say that your child's card is in the post. I made the mistake on stopping too soon so just keep clicking through the screens and it works.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With the recent lost passport thread in mind i just doubled checked our cards.

Mrs kept telling me they are valid for 10yrs, i beg to differ......ours run out in March.....2011.

Just re-applied for all ours, and it accepted the application online ok (so far). I didn't put in the card number for renewals, but it accepted our NI numbers.

See if they email me with issues......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ItsSnowJoke, Go ahead and put your details into the system, work through it and you will find you end up with being able to ask for one for your kids whilst sticking with your existing ones - there are sufficient options in the electronic system to cope with this eventuality - I was skeptical, but was able to do my kids without doing me - everything worked like clockwork it was a good online ordering system and if you start with your details everything will be fine - just work through the pages and put in the necessary details when prompted - I ended up with two for my kids without ordering one for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BUMP Don't forget EHIC cards expire. Just getting things organised for Tignes next week, from 4 - 7 November, and find that mine expires on 7 November. Embarassed Very easy to do online - and FREE. If you find yourself on a paying site, it's one of the spammy ones which charges you for absolutely nothing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a point of interest the local practice in Les Gets wasn't interested in my EHIC when I broke ribs in January. The hospital in Thonon took a photocopy 'in case I was kept in', I wasn't. Cold hard cash or a credit card. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very well worthwhile having the EHIC for babies - our 4 month old grand-daughter was kept in overnight at the hospital in Thonon last January. The bill was in the region of 1200 euros and my daughter had the EHIC with her so about 1000 was sorted with the EHIC and she paid the balance of around 200 euros and then claimed that back on her travel insurance.(MPI) ..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
EdnaTomkins, your local practice is no doubt a private facility, and EHIC then wouldn't apply.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But also credit card required for 'inspection' at Thonon Hospital. Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From what I remember, the EHIC just reduces the amount you pay upfront by demonstrating your entitlement. If you don't have the card, then I believe you can still get the cash back, but you do need the hard cash/ credit card up front.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
EHIC doesn't cover everything - I believe it just puts you on an equal footing with local people. The hospital needs to ensure that you are able to pay their bills. But having an EHIC will make a big difference and can mean (depending on your insurance policy) that you don't need to pay the excess.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes we got it all back from the insurance.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, The medical centre in Tignes is a private clinic that doesn't accept the EHIC.
snow report
If the locals pay, you pay the same. if they don't, you don't - that's how I understood it to work, broadly speaking.
snow report
rjs, well I might still be glad of my EHIC if I get helicoptered to the hospital in Albertville. wink My insurance would cover the chopper and the local clinic's bill. When I broke my pelvis in January I was pleasantly surprised at the modest charges in the local private clinic. A small fraction of what they'd have been in a BUPA Hospital in the UK!

jocrad, yes, that's my understanding too.
snow conditions
Some insurers have (or used to have) a clause which meant that they would pay only the amount of the claim as if you had used EHIC where possible - this comes under the requirement to minimise your loss. So not having one, or not showing it on being treated, could cost even more than just your excess.
ski holidays
Swiss hospital treatment is as near as free as makes no difference with an EHIC...excess is about chf12 per day.
Makes it questionable whether medical insurance is worth it IMO...but not all agree of course.
latest report
If you have to pay it/some/most can be claimed back from the NHS when you get back. I did start a thread on this last season, I'll try and dig it out.
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
Swiss hospital treatment is as near as free as makes no difference with an EHIC...excess is about chf12 per day.
Makes it questionable whether medical insurance is worth it IMO...but not all agree of course.
Except that the EHIC doesn't cover things such as rescue, repatriation or private doctors/clinics (which is where you might have to go in many resorts).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 31-10-13 23:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100557&highlight=

Here you go, does drift off a bit though.
snow report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=100557&highlight=

Here you go, does drift off a bit though.
snow report
Quote:

I think for a lot of people it's the cost of repatriation back to UK where insurance comes into its own - if you were with somebody who needed several weeks in hospital and you had nowhere to stay, it could be v expensive, and repatriation (often needing several seats and private ambulances) is expensive too. When I was injured last Jan I stayed in my apartment, cost me nothing. But my insurance would have repatriated me right away if I'd wanted, and eventually, when I decided to go home, paid for my sister and brother in law to fly out, get a taxi to my place and drive me home in my own car.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy