Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lost Passport...

Poster: A snowHead
So, we're off to Les Menuires for a week on 8th Jan.

The girlfriend decides TODAY that she will look for her passport... yep you guessed it! After 5 hours of turning our house upside down, still no passport. Unbelievable, total rookie mistake.

Off to Durham tomorrow to try and get a new one in time.

My question is this. I have a perfectly valid and findable passport and the travel and accomodation is all paid for. Is the girlfriend of 5 years an essential piece of kit..?

Mac
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to consult your insurance.
Will you get 'like for like' or 'new for old'?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nah bin her, powder is always more important..you'll always find another girl but another pocket of virgin powder....who knows when and where they will next turn up LOL
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ha, new for old would be sweet.

On a serious not, is there actually any chance of them replacing it in time...?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
should have time, might involve a trip to an actual passport office but should be ok if you are on the case tomorrow morning...good luck
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mac22, pretty sure you can get one same day if you're prepared to go and wait in line at the passport office.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A passport that is. Not a girlfriend. They take more effort and considerably more expense so I'm told.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got a same day passport replacement service in Newport when I realised my old one was out of date about 4 days before I was due to go on holiday last year.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
I got a same day passport replacement service in Newport when I realised my old one was out of date about 4 days before I was due to go on holiday last year.

Do you remember how much it cost you..?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mac22, have you looked here? http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Loststolenordamagedpassports/DG_174163
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do we have to have passports for EU travel? Would Driving Licence not do it?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shimmy Alcott, yes we do, no it wouldn't
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx wrote:
Mac22, have you looked here? http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Loststolenordamagedpassports/DG_174163

I have yes, but it claims that the one day premium service is not available for the replacement of a passport...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just a thought....

Does the same day service extend to 'lost' passports???

I know an adult wishing to renew an exisiting passport can do same day (at heavy premium).

But this would not be a renewal.

GOOD LUCK Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mac22, that's what made me go oo-err. I got 1 day service but that was 5 years ago

and the UK passport service website says the same - not lookignso good, especially with the bank hol weekend. http://www.ips.gov.uk/cps/rde/xchg/ips_live/hs.xsl/1056.htm#._How_long_will_it_take_for_my_passport_application_to_be_processed_

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 30-12-10 23:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, yes we do, no it wouldn't

Laughing thanks.
snow report
ItsSnowJoke, no it doesn't extend to lost passports as replacements are now dealt with as 1st time applicants and an interview is required as well as the relevant checks
snow report
Then there is the answer, no chance of same day.

Turn the house upside down again, well get her to do it...........you need to get ready for your holiday Laughing

Bet the atmosphere is lovely round your place rolling eyes

On a serious note she WILL need a passport, you even need it for internal uk flights!!

Could it be at someone elses house?

Nightmare, good luck!!
snow report
ItsSnowJoke wrote:
you even need it for internal uk flights!!

Not quite true, you need photo id for an internal flight, so a photo driving license will do.
snow conditions
geepee, Except on Ryanair.
snow conditions
Mac22 wrote:
My question is this. I have a perfectly valid and findable passport and the travel and accomodation is all paid for. Is the girlfriend of 5 years an essential piece of kit..?

Mac

No, not essential.

Do as much to help both pratically and emotionally. If still fails to find or replace the passport, start hinting she could join you a few days later when her passport is replaced...

Seriously, if she doesn't suggest you go ahead and enjoy yourself without her, she's being selfish. Not worth keeping...
snow conditions
We were lucky enough to have loads more time when my OH realised that she had lost hers, turned every part of the house upside down over a period of sevral weeks then decided to accept that it was lost so ordered a new one, duely arrived and OH announced that she would put it in the special zipped pouch in her bag where she was sure it would be safe. on unzipping said pouch what did she find.....yep the lost passport that was 'safe' from the last time she had had the same idea.

..... Oh my how we laughed and laughed rolling eyes

having said that it was nearly a next day service and she had just applied through normal chanels, they seem to be very efficent these days.
ski holidays
My most lost passport ever turned up after five days of search and fret. I had scanned it on the printer at home and forgot to retrieve the passport from under the scanner cover. I didn't find it by looking, I had all but given up on it when one afternoon a cold feeling of dread came upon me as I thought SCANNER.... OH MY GOD. Oh no, all of the apologising I will have to do, all of the humble pie.....eeeeeyyyyuuuuccccck.
snow report
palumbex, that is possibly the worst feeling in the world!... so many times have I had a paddy and a moan for a 'missing' item... and then had that shocking revelation (like a mini heart attack) when I realise it is in the scanner, in my pocket, in my sock-drawer... or any other 'safe and sensible' place!!
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
A passport that is. Not a girlfriend. They take more effort and considerably more expense so I'm told.

Some of the girls in the passport office would also be willing .....................
snow conditions
Try the zipped pockets of all the holdalls and bags she has ever taken on holiday, the bag she used on holiday last summer, the glove compartment of the car if she drove from the airport................ , oh and did she take it to work to use the passport number to verify someone else's application (that was hubby not me). Has she needed it for any bank stuff recently?
snow conditions
Mac22, Next day service is available IF the original has been reported stolen Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Try to think back to when you last had it and......................... Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stick her in the boot and drive. Chances are no-one will notice Happy
snow report
Stick her in the boot and drive. Chances are no-one will notice Happy
snow conditions
I lost my GF's passport in Les Gets in April, whilst I was getting a police report done she was looking in the estate agents window........expensive mistake that one! We take possesion at the end of January.....
snow report
Years ago on an office booze cruise one of the girls forgot her passport. Didn't notice until we half way to Dover.

Luckily the bus driver had his wife on his passport and the cursory check at the ferry terminal didn't spot that his "wife" was now ten years younger and had changed her hair colour and most facial features.

Things were a bit easier in those days.

Mac22, I know that's no help but it made me smile to recall it Very Happy
snow conditions
Mac22, The girlfriend is not essential. My son is in Les Menuires for the season and I'm sure he could introduce you to the odd nanny or two if you bought him a couple of beers.
snow report
RUGBY PETER, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Great shout - you'll need to post some more with lines like that...
snow conditions
flangesax, Yes "mini heart attack" is absolutely the right description.
snow conditions
Did she last go on holiday skiing with you? Is it with your documents that you take skiing or even with your passport? Also, it's worth trying ski gear - I replaced my photo driving licence this year on not being able to find it and discovered it in a pocket in my salopettes when I used them at HH this Autumn (I never use my sallie pockets!) so its worth doing pockets of all ski gear as she may have carried her passport for ID during a days skiing.
snow report
@Holidaylover - Thats odd - I sent off for a replacement passport last week, and wasn't treated as a new applicant. And apparently, according to the passport office whom I spoke to, you can do a one day application...
snow report
mustdash,I was just going by what (I thought) the website was saying. maybe Mac22 has got sorted - hope he lets us know. was your replacement to replace a lost passport or was it stolen? Was your previous passport biometric?
snow conditions
Ok, update...

We have an apointment TUESDAY with the passport office in Durham.

Guy on the phone said that as it is a replacement he would set up a '1 week premium' interview and this process would cost us £115. Obviously, 1 week is no use as we are due to leave Saturday.

HOWEVER, he then offered a glimmer of hope buy saying that if we could "reach an agreement with the passport office" for a 1 day transaction that would then cost us £129...

The fact that he mentioned that tells me that it is possible for them to replace a passport in a day. Maybe its just up to us to convince them..?

The money really isn't a factor, I just want to go skiing!

So now I wonder, what are the chances of them actually doing this 1 day option for us..?

Thoughts...?

Mac
snow report
Mac22, They are probably the one gov department that has actually got their act together in recent years. When I applied for my second passport (I have to have 2 for work reasons) it was a 48hr turnaround from posting to courier secure delivery delivering my passport.

Hopefully they will let you do the 1 day service.

Pics of culprit holding new passport once its sorted should be posted Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy