Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel day pass only £29 in Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Just had an email about this drop in my mailbox, thought it might be of interest!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A Glenshee day pass is only £27 in Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr...... Toofy Grin
(Ta for the info!)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yikes and i thought the place was already busy Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is thisHemel slope any good? I have heard some commentary saying it's rubbish and has nothing resembling snow for a surface at all!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow...£29 for a surface nothing like real snow.
To think someone had the cheek to start a thread about the cost of a Day Ticket at the Scottish Ski Areas.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Confused Confused the snow at Hemel is excellent.

mountainaddict - just costs a bit to get there! wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevin mcclean wrote:
Is thisHemel slope any good? I have heard some commentary saying it's rubbish and has nothing resembling snow for a surface at all!!!

We go there regularly, and of the indoor slopes I think it is the best (having been to Tamworth, Milton Keynes) in the South.

The snow is fine on weekdays, especially early in the day. It does get chopped up, as with any busy run, on weekends and particularly busy weekdays, but even then it's fine if you can live with the odd bit of chop.

The snow is as good as end of season snow in many resorts. I don't know what the commentators are on about, frankly.

Given how busy they are at their normal rates (not far off that amount for an hour) a full day for that price seems very reasonable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is it OK to turn up with touring gear, skin the slope a few times and if you like the snow, buy a lift ticket Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross wrote:
Is it OK to turn up with touring gear, skin the slope a few times and if you like the snow, buy a lift ticket Puzzled

Compared to Milton/Tamworth.. The snow at Hemel is excellent. There is no comparative.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And that's not just a 'comparative' but also a 'relativism'. Is the snow any good?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

mountainaddict - just costs a bit to get there!
Ditto Hemel from up here wink!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thats making me feel much better about paying $50 for Grouse Mountain Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spent yesterday at hemel. 0930-1630

0930-1030 was empty

But think everyone in southern england had a lesson booked at 1030, it was barely skiable, tbh it was just plain dangerous imho. Got better by 1200 though., so stayed out and took a later lunch.

By mid afternoon the outer 2/3rd's were moguls and the centre 3rd was icey.

At its busiest it was stupid, lessons in 2 groups at the top, so you couldn't get off the pomas as everyone was stood around, then shuffle past the lesson groups at the top and ski down, but then there were lessons stationary on slope, many with instuctors starting half way down the slope. It was chaos!!

Lesson slope was really quiet, cant understand starting people off half way up the main slope, they may as well be at the top of the lesson slope, then once mastered go straight to the top of the main slope.

Got a slap on the wrist from an instructor too, which i didn't take kindly too Embarassed , but went and caught up with him afterwards and explained my views in a more diplomatic manner. I am a fairly low level skier as it is, one of his students who was in full plough all the way down turned in front of me as i was turning and then stopped, i was right on them and just avoided a collision, but skied over the tail of their skis. The instructor skied after me and was demending i appologise, which i didn't appreciate. I'd earlier been forced into the side of one of the jumps by someone else (on purpose imo), so wasn't in the mood to be told i was wrong for that Embarassed

As fast as i was approaching the 'ploughers', i had others bearing down on me at the same speed difference, then some were just flying down skis straight, which however good you are is too fast for in there on a busy slope.

As i said, and he agreed, there were about 4-5 different levels of skier on there at one time, and i put myself at level 2-3 of 5, most intimadated by the next. He said no worries and agreed that its the problem with a busy slope at hemel.

Dispite the rant, it was well worth the £29 Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ItsSnowJoke,
Mate of mine was also there all day. He did a couple of videos with his phone. Some of those must have been at the 10.30+ period because, the slope is clearly stupidly busy...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Were they a couple of boarders?

There were a couple of boarders filming each other a lot (well all day tbh).

1030-1145 was impossible, more lessons around 1400, but didn't seem so bad.

0930-1030 and 1200-1400 was great, then after 1500 was ok but busy enough.

Being there for the whole day meant i saw many different types of people on the slopes. Not just abilitys, but 'characters'. All good fun Laughing

One older guy looked like he'd just arrived from the 80's (really good skier though), another older couple who were both wearing jeans Shocked and some older guy who had a completely different skiing style to anyone else, he was really good and i liked the look of his skiing, i thought of it as 'retro skiing', almost sat down squating with his feet together.

As i say all good fun Very Happy

I just know some of the above people i mentioned are posters here snowHead Laughing

£29 (or £20 if your a member) is little more than an hour at normal rates, so your getting your monies worth and then some at the quieter times, with the busy/annoying times considered free.

Certainly think Hemel is better than MK, the slope is wider (well it doesn't have the pillars in the middle) and the skis they give you are un-comparably better (i had 2 different pairs in the day, both had flat bases that were waxed, MK have always given us battered skis)
ski holidays
The skis at MK are battered because the draglift uptrack is made of planks of wood with rusty nails sticking out of them, rather than snow as is usually considered traditional for that purpose.
latest report
That is true Laughing

By the time i left, Hemel was down to the base matting in some places.
snow report
ItsSnowJoke,

No it was one boarder and one skier. Not sure how late they stayed...
snow conditions
Who would want to ski in a fridge all day? I'd be bored by just over 1hr.
latest report
Reports from last Sunday from Hemel (from a learn-to-ski-in-a-day punter):

1. Two people stretchered off
2. Small children having lessons at the very bottom of the slope in prime position for being blasted to heaven
3. Crowded beyond belief and quite frightening
4. A girl who was booked in on the course, boyfriend having bought her all the gear in preparation for her first skiing trip with him and his mates, she reached the top of the drag, burst into tears and went home. How long will that relationship last?
ski holidays
James the Last, lol I wonder if (4) was ricklovesthepowder's gf... Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy