Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI logging of hours

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Being new to the world of BASI. It strikes me as somewhat archaic to be logging hours on various pieces of paper and sending them to Morlich house.

Why cant we have a proper online logging system where you could input your 'hours served' and have it added directly to your instructor record even better have it developed as a smartphone app (as raised by Beanie1 some time ago)

sorry end of rant Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried contacting BASI about this, as opposed to a random forum? (Well OK, not random, but not connected to BASI...)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
offpisteskiing, with our resident members like Beanie1 it is a fairly good place to post, Also as there is no BASI members forum I was hoping to have some feedback as to the validity of my suggestion as it may be that im just being a kn0b and should wind my neck in and this is the ideal place to find out that sort of info. As the snowHead are noted for their honesty Toofy Grin but tend to wrap it in a velvet cover (unlike TGR etc)

Quote:

Have you tried contacting BASI

on occasion yes Sad they are a very busy people (possibly moving lots of pieces of paper around Toofy Grin ) and that why I thought that snowHead as the largest by far of any of the UK skiing forums may attract some comment from other newbies like myself and then this could be fed back as a more worthwhile sugestion rather than just bothering their small admin team with my own sad opinions.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevindonkleywood, Paper is cheap, how much of your annual membership fee would you want to spend on developing software ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevindonkleywood, Snowheads is indeed a good place to post a suggestion, as I shall make sure it is passed on to the powers that be! You could also try starting a discussion on the BASI Facebook page (if you're a FB member) and see if other members have any opinions.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/BASI-British-Association-of-Snowsport-Instructors/171660376197714?v=app_2373072738&ref=ts#!/pages/BASI-British-Association-of-Snowsport-Instructors/171660376197714?v=app_2373072738

The only problem I personally can see with your suggestion is that the logged hours aren't just a case of you recording them - they also need to be verified by your employer. So would your employer not still need to write a letter on headed paper confirming that the hours you've logged online are correct?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kevindonkleywood, But surely you don't have to send them the paperwork after every single session Puzzled Just save it up for when the required hours are completed then submit it in one go.

At least that is how logging works for SSE, and the system is supposedly unified these days, so I can't see why BASI should be different.

(Just remembered that one of the youngsters I'm skiing with this week has just passed his Level 1 - I'll try to remember to ask him tomorrow how he logged his hours.)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I counted the hours I did with 3 employers, then got one letter from each of them stating the total number of hours I worked - I didn't log each individual lesson.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For guys doing their hours at Gosling/Welwyn, we ask them to keep fairly detailed records and then once they have done thsir hours either Emily or I will write a letter to BASI stating that between date a and b, <name>completed their 35 hours of shadowing; these 35 hours consisted of the following

X hours shadowing
X hours teaching under supervision
X hours working in the boot room and dealing with clients etc...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs, LOL the paper is cheap but its the chasing around after it that costs. Toofy Grin

It was just a thought that if you logged your hours online when you have the required hours for that level or you are moving employers then you press the 'validate button' and the head of that snowsports school gets an e-mail asking them to click validate at their end of the BASI website. The days of headed notepaper and a signature being 'reliable evidence' disapeared with the advent of home computing and printing Very Happy, to the point now where we (Offshore oil and gas industry) do not accept any form of paper certification, its all electronic)

At the moment The way I see it (and forgive me if im mistaken here) I log my hours and the snowsports school have to log them too, then when I have sufficent hours they have to check my log and sign me off by signing on a piece of paper which I send to BASI, BASI then presumably can either a) trust me that i did not fabricate the whole thing or b) contact the snowsports school to validate the document I send them. All of this takes time for the school, me and BASI, admittedly its just a 20mins here and 20 mins there but they all add up.

Also Im inherently lazy and forgetfull rolling eyes

It also occurs to me that if the BASI mission is now to issue licences and not just qualifications then they will have to have a strong system of evidence collection to support the 'competence' of the individual licences and provide a robust audit trail should their systems ever come under scrutiny from say, The French Very Happy . (this is the sad way that so many other industries and professions from the oilfield to medicine have gone I guess Im just so used to it which is what triggered my initial thoughts)

The point about the cost of system development is a valid one, but these systems are already out there for so many other professions.

It is also possible that Im working nights at the moment and there is nobody to talk to so I may just be stiring Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevindonkleywood wrote:

It is also possible that Im working nights at the moment and there is nobody to talk to so I may just be stiring Toofy Grin

And I may be turning into a grumpy old man...! Very Happy

I would take exactly what you have written above and send it to BASI. You can send it directly to the office, via beanie1 on here, or via any of the board members - there is a send message function for each board member (chairman included) on the members area of the BASI website.
The argument is strong (& I know exactly what you mean re Oil & Gas as I work offshore myself & the system seems to work very well wrt e-certification) and post implementation would quite possibly add efficiency to the system...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kevindonkleywood, good idea.. i was pretty shocked and dismayed when i did my L3 tech and teach which needed 200 hours of teaching. i really struggled to get in the hours in the UK prior to going out and was worried i wouldnt get them in. I did and once on the course found that at least two of the guys on it NEVER taught a single hour (one had failed his teach twice previously, the other had his hours from attending a race camp) . several others had "pencil" hours and the deal seemed to be the ski school they worked at gave two hours for each hour on the hill to make it worth their while to teach on a dry slope....

I also hear that lots go straight in for their L4 tech and use eurotest race training hours as "teaching" hours ...

You may be able to get an electronic log running but if it is bulls**t it still stinks whether or not it is on paper or electronic.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy