Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens recommendations for ski school and hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We're a family (2 young teens in tow)heading out for the first time having done 8-10 sessions on dry slope before heading off. Any advice on equip hire and lesson in Samoens? Are we likely to need more than a beginners pass for the first few days? There are so many options it seems a bit on a lottery which to go with so any help is appreciated. We're staying in Samoens village (campsite in motorhome!).
Thanks
Casals
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We were in Samoens over Christmas. We hired skis from Planete Glisse, though others in my ski group used Xtreme Glisse. Some of the ski hire firms have heated lockers you can hire, either at bottom by the GME station or up at Samoens 1600 - check on the village website and compare the online prices and services available.
We used ZigZag ski for lessons and found them good, but they were almost twice the price of ESF (lessons were three mornings instead of six for ESF). One of our student children was enrolled in an ESF class but it was Level 4 - i.e. for experienced skiers who really only needed a guide and some company for bombing down the runs. He enjoyed this and the class wasn't large, but I don't know what it would have been like in the beginners classes. ZigZag is a small school, popular with the British, so you need to book well in advance - and if you think you want six days lessons, book all six days well in advance.
You can get a debutant ski pass on a daily basis, but I'm not sure how many runs you can then use. It sounds as though you will soon be skiing more than the debutant runs. We bought a combination of Massif and Grand Massif passes - some for six days, others for three days, then daily passes (it snowed hard one day, so we didn't ski). As a beginner, you might not need the Grand Massif pass unless you can, by the end of the week, ski to Flaine and then take the lifts from there (trip up to Grandes Platieres worth doing if weather decent). I would recommend, though, that you get over to Morillon one day and go down Marvel - lovely long green run. You can get there from Samoens 1600 as well, but the beginning of the run is a little more tricky than if you approach it from the Morillon lifts (for this you only need a Massif pass).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have used Xtreme Glisse on a couple of occasions and found them first class. Just over the road from the bubble and you can dump your gear there at night.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy