Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Belle Plagne - Self Catering?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Might be going here in the end of Jan and thinking about doing self catering to keep costs down. Just wondered if anyone has done the slef catering route at Belle plagne and can offer any advice. I assume there is a spar and that doing a shop for basic food will not be stupidly expensive?

also, what is the nightlife here like? as long as there is a pub then we'll be happy, but don't really fancy a 24hr party resort either!!

any advice welcome...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mikee_j, I've done the self catering thing in Belle Plagne. There is a supermarket although, as always, you'd be better to stock up in an out-of-resort supermarket on the way there. It's not stupidly expensive but it's pricier than elsewhere for sure. Nightlife in Belle Plagne is definately on the quieter side. There are bars so you can get your fix and the gondola to Plagne Centre runs until quite late so you can always go down to where there is more nightlife. It's defo NOT a 24 hr party resort for sure...but then if you don't want that then it's perfect.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

doing a shop for basic food will not be stupidly expensive?

it will be fairly stupidly expensive. Take as much as you can with you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
awksquawk wrote:
mikee_j, I've done the self catering thing in Belle Plagne.

awksquawk wrote:

There are bars so you can get your fix and the gondola to Plagne Centre

Where is this gondola you speak of?

There's one between Belle Plagne & Plagne Bellecote which runs late but it's quite a hike from there to plagne Centre!!!

mikee_j 7 or 8 years ago a group of about 20 of us did exactly that - took over 3 apartments for new year in belle plagne and had a great time. Sure it's not austrian apres but there are a couple of bars that seemed to do the job and we had a good craic on NYE. Since then the place has expanded quite a bit so I can only imagine (i've not stayed there) that it's got a bit more lively.

If you go for a 'big shop' down in the valley then that'll be cheaper - but possibly not worth the hassle unless you have you're own car...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went on first family ski trip to BP in 2006 self catering. Lasted one night before requesting transfer to Crystal Club Hotel. We stayed at the Hotel Turquoise which was good and a huge improvement on the sc apartments.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stayed in self-catering three times in Belle Plagne. Some good restaurants, and the gondola trip down to Bellecote if you fancy it (bloody cold though).
Some of the apartments are small and cramped, but there are some newer and nicer ones, and a lot of them have now been refurbished. I think Shimmy Allcott was there last New Year.
Supermarket (spar I think) was limited, but on those occasions we went for cheap accommodation, and used the money to eat out at night, with perhaps only a couple of meals in the apartment.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Currently self catering in bellecote. Spar charged us 4 eur for a box of special k and 4.4 eur for a jar of honey(swmbo has cough). All other things also overpriced. Bring as much as you can especially if coming by car.
It's quiet here as well at night. Cant see why as the lift queues are huge during the day.
Roll on après in Austria in feburary
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett, Apologies, Plagne Bellecote...whatamistakatomaka..
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for the replies... perhaps not unexpected to hear the prices are high for spar etc.

How much should one budget for an evening meal in any of the restaurants in the resort?

Unfortunately no car so out-of-town shop may be out of the question. Possibly time to start looking at some catered alternatives!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mikee_j, someone who knows the resort well could tell you if there's a "Traiteur". We have a couple in Les Saisies. They sell (very good) ready-made dishes, different selection each day. It's about 8 euro a portion, so far more expensive than cooking for yourself (even at resort shop prices) but a lot cheaper than eating out, as you can buy your own wine/beers rather than pay resto prices for them.

If you are flying you could take a fair bit of stuff to save costs - light things like coffee, tea bags, hot chocolate powder, couple of stock cubes. Pasta, rice, small bag of flour to make pancakes. If you have ski in/out self catering accommodation you can save a big amount on lunches (packet soups, baguettes and cheese, fruit) even if you eat out in the evenings.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, I don't recall there being a traiteur in Belle Plagne, but it is a while since we stayed there. There will be one in Bellecote I imagine.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We go to Belle Plagne most years, there are 2 Spars and IMHO they are both stupidly expensive. Eating out is on the pricey side. Cheapest is the Pizzaria at about 70 Euro for a family of 4 including a couple of drinks up to 200 Euro for same family at some of the very nice restaurants. Nightlife is limited but La Cheyenne Cafe and La Tete are the best and busy aspecially at happy hour.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've just come across this link www.scrumpelicious.co.uk for meals delivered to apartment in Belle Plagne - looks very good Very Happy - wish I was going with my OH and son. Think they may be quite busy for the half term weeks but still had availability for next week today.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
went with chalet option in the end and it was brilliant... went with silverski!

going back in March too but doing hotel full board. Getting a very good deal
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy