Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier local knowledge

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Villeneuve in Serre Chev area, Sun 9 Jan for seven nights. Party is two skiers on fifth ski holiday, both ok on reds and undifficult blacks; and two 'go anywhere' snowboarders.

Any local knowledge, for either daytime or apres use, much appreciated.

Stay safe everyone.

Phil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Phil Chris, you should find plenty to keep you all happy right across the area. Take the new Vallons chairlift across to Monetier-les-Bains, enjoy the slopes over there, Yret and Cibouit are great, perhaps stopping for lunch down at Peyra Juana, before heading back for the long Cucumelle red. There are loads of other options in the central section, amd head over to Eduits and Prorel at the far left of the piste map. Don't forget lunch at Le Bercail at the top of the Aravet bubble. Apres depends on which part of Villeneuve you are staying in, but the old village across the road has a few good bars and restaurants, and the Grotte underneath the Aravet bubble is good for apres and happy hours. Live music too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Phil. Skiing over in Monetier is particularly enjoyable, especially the reds above the resort which are fast (when appropriate, of course!), wide and hold the snow well At the top of Bacchas is the Arva Park which takes you off the groomed. This is a big hill with lots of space to play. It's a lovely place to stay, still removed from some of the plasticity of the Tarentaise resorts but there does appear to be an effort to push the place a bit more upmarket. Hopefully this'll be done in a way that keeps the Fulham and Putney banker crowds away.

As for apres, I'm no expert but the Alpen bar in Monetier is nice enough for me to get the bus from Briancon to and as for dancing..............well, I'm sure someone else can help there! Thankfully, the resort doesn't really get visited by Val D'Isere, Verbier, Meribel yuppies (a sort of posh thug abroad) and you'll enjoy the resort even more because of this!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevin mcclean,
Quote:

posh thug
Perfect description!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, kevin mcclean does not mince his words.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also looking for a bit of local knowledge...
Mrs Higs is going (without me!) for a week in Serre Chevalier from Jan 22nd. They're staying in Villeneuve in the Le Bez area. She'll be hiring skis so I guess one of the shops in Pre Long will be most convenient.
Any shop recommendations for women's skis? Or shops to avoid? The last few years (because of the shop we use in Le Grand Bornand) she's had Dynastar and got on well with them.

p.s. she is neither posh, nor a thug.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Higs, Brechu sports is good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I do wonder what some ski resort hoteliers and proprietors think of their English (and I mean English) guests, especially in places like Val D'Isere, Meribel, St Anton, Verbier and other so called 'world class' resorts. The last time I went to Val D'Isere I was appalled by the vomit, the disregard for the environment, the nastiness, the self importance, the preening and the posturing of a certain sort of English tourist This is a shame as the resort has truly excellent skiing but it is losing something because of the guests it is getting (culturally moribund Doctors and bankers and an assortment of other expensively educated and privileged spivs who appear to have everything and yet know nothing).

I wont be going there again or to other 'world class' resorts because the sport and the mountain environment is being degraded by these morons. I just hope they stay away from Monetier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kevin mcclean, me too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevin mcclean, sadly, the longer version of your description adds nothing but evidence of some of your prejudices. I am an ex-professional (lawyer - OMG, that's probably even worse than doctors and bankers in your book) expensively educated (at the expense of the taxpayer, but still expensively) privileged in many ways and I've even been accused of being posh. I have also had very nice holidays in some of the places you mention. However, I'm not a thug. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle, Kevin does have a tendency to be controversial, but I still hope those 'posh thugs' of whatever persuasion do not invade Monetier. You could never be accused of being a thug wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah, but 'Hurtle', you make the mistake of thinking it applies to you-it doesn't! It wasn't personal, you see, but you took it as such! Sniffing the air now for some more non-sequiturs.........

I am sorry you feel sad about it-don't!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 30-12-10 11:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells, aw thanks. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kevin mcclean,
Quote:

you make the mistake of thinking it applies to you-it doesn't! It wasn't personal, you see, but you took it as such!
No I didn't, I was merely pointing out that I fit into many, the majority even, of your over-egged generalisations. wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm going to Serre Chevalier for a week in February, I've got my own skis but would quite like to try something more interesting if we get a big dump of snow when I'm there (fingers crossed). Can anyone recommend any shops that would stock big powder skis such as the Rossignol S7?
ski holidays
lWe went for a week in Jan a few years ago to Monetier and it was so good, we stayed for a second week. Then had to go back in late March/early April as Ski Miquel almost paid us to go back again! Serre Ratier restaurant great for pizzas with anti vampire oil. Also had a great day ski touring with a guide from Monetier and as no one else turned up, had a 1 on 1 day for €40. Also have a crack at the ice karting in Chantmerle.
snow report
Having been round the block a few times - and have to admit, some 25 years ago to being just the type of git Kevin loves to hate - in those days a classic Thatcherite Yuppy - I probably did my fair share for Anglo / French relations - however I changed, but would seem that I was merely replaced by many others over the years and they too have probably matured and been replaced by other "cocks" etc etc

Great thing is that they still go to the knobs resorts and long may they keep going leaving the likes of Serre to simple minded folk. Every now and again I have the misfortune to go to mainstream resorts and I hate them - though the Italian ones are good fun as only the Italians truly know how to pose!

The good knob skiers tend to keep away from La Grave as well, probably as there are so few bars / restaurants and it lacks the pretentiousnesses of Chamonix / Verbier clones.

So thumbs up to Serre, hardly a Brit Reg Range Rover to be seen rolling eyes
snow report
Weathercam, nearest thing to one I have seen was a couple of Sloaney 'gals' in the Pizzeria Brasera trying to order a bottle of 'rouge'. They were staying upstairs from us, and their conversation in the boot room was most entertaining. lynseyf, which village are you staying in? You could go and try out the 'RIde Doctor' skis if you're in Villeneuve, he used to work for Rossignol. http://www.ride-doctor.com/skis/tests.html
snow conditions
Hells Bells, good call - he actually designed my old Rossi 198 Undertaker SnowBoard - and his skis do look the biz, though I have never skied them, came very close to buying some after I lost a certain ski end of season this year (insert Cock smiley) . Quite a few now skiing them and his skis can also be seen in the Frog Bar (very good wifi bar, great band on a Tuesday).

He's litterally just down the end of the road where I stay and he's serviced most of my kit, though now do that myself - only issue is he works to French hours or when he actually feels like turning up, can be a wee bit of a pain!

So for other (fat) ski places - main Centre Commercial in Viileneuve on the first floor to the North of the shopping center, place there looks good, always very good end of season bargains, though have to be said never been in there.

Then for the closest you'll get to a Chamonix type shop, in Monetier - dogs bollox of a shop (forget the name / main high street) very good kit, especially all the latest Dynafit Touring gear - I gave him a load of spare Dynafit spares few years back (long story), though he's probably forgotten me now (hopefully he didn't think I was an English Yuppy etc etc)

Anyway back out Jan 15th for a quick week - as it'll be rude not to as we have season pass's etc then back out end of Feb for 5/6 weeks - subject to how my negotiation goes when I'm out on Jan!

So Hells Bells you out there then Jan 15th - I'm sure you'll want to follow me off piste Skullie
snow report
Weathercam, we're out until the 22nd, but my off-piste habits are rather limited. You probably mean Stawug in Monetier I think. I notice on the Ride Doctor site that some of the shops in the other villages are stocking the skis too, not sure if they would have any to rent though.
ski holidays
Name of the guy that runs Ride Doctor is Bob, speaks very good English and he does rent his skis from his shop just next to the swimming pool on the main road towards the car ice circuit. Like I said with his sporadic opening times best to call him first.

Hells Bells, yes Stawug was the shop -we can still have a piste blast - or depending on what the snow is like I'll take you over Montagnolle if you've not done that before, if it has not snowed for a while it's more like a piste anyway, though avoiding cliffs Laughing
snow conditions
Not been to Serre Chevalier before. Were out on the Sunday 16th Jan. We should arrive around midday. Our 6 day passes will not start until Monday. Are there any pistes we can use without a lift pass on Sunday afternoon to warm up.
ski holidays
Forgot to mention we are in Villeneuve.
latest report
john w, couple of nursery slope tows, but nothing else . You can get a 3 hour pass though.
snow report
The mickey is good for a quick blast, although it is very limited (A good inntermediate will blast down in a couple of mins) and may not be free (can't remember). It does however have at its foot le grotte which is a good apres bar. So after you have exhausted it you can always have a few drinks.

Also going out on the 16th, can't wait Serre Che is my fav resort I am biased though having done a season there. Out of interest what time does your flight land it must be sometime in the morning if you aim to do some afternoon skiing. Have fun!
ski holidays
Will have to look at the tickets, but it leaves Birmingham at 6 am. Assume I will be there early afternoon.
latest report
I am a bit of a skinflint, three hours pass at 33 euros seems a bit steep. Just looking for some free slopes, even if nursery just to loosen up.
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:
Hells Bells, good call - he actually designed my old Rossi 198 Undertaker SnowBoard - and his skis do look the biz, though I have never skied them, came very close to buying some after I lost a certain ski end of season this year (insert Cock smiley) . Quite a few now skiing them and his skis can also be seen in the Frog Bar (very good wifi bar, great band on a Tuesday).

I picked up a pair of ride doctor twin tips on a bit of a punt, tried them out at hemmel and they are lovely! Im off in feb so will do a proper review of them then, but i was pleased with my couple of hours test on them Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
john w, I think only the rope tows are free. http://www.serre-chevalier.com/Beginners for the beginners prices. Suppose you could get the villeneuve beginners pass?
snow report
Thanks Hells Bells. The 16 euro beginners pass looks ideal for an afternoon warm-up.
snow report
Don't miss the baths at Monetier when all your bones are aching - it's a fantastic treat
snow conditions
And if you do go to the baths, men must remember their Speedos, baggy swim shorts are not allowed.
ski holidays
Will they accept thongs, even if one's bottom is rather hirsute and sweaty?
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
And if you do go to the baths, men must remember their Speedos, baggy swim shorts are not allowed.

Didnt think it applied there Confused I never wore speedo when we went, a pair of swim shorts was all I had. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Bones, it most definitley does apply at the new baths,which opened a couple of years ago. . I don't think the rule applied to the old ones.
ski holidays
I am going to be in Serre Chevalier from 9th Jan. I am going with Club Med. Their ski hire is quiet expensive so I intend to book online with a local shop. Does anyone know if it is an easy walk from Club Med to ALPHAND SPORTS6 chemin de l'oratoire. I know the distance is only 1km but is it an easy walk ie. paved or hair raisingly close to traffic.
snow conditions
palumbex, Shop is at E7 on the following map http://www.serre-chevalier.com/spip.php?page=popplan&img=1400&lang=en , Club Med is clearly marked, good pavements. IT will be one of the closest ski shops though.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 1-01-11 21:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Ski hire was included last time I stayed at Club Med.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, Thanks for the info. My only concern was that it was a doable walk. I am happy to hear that there are good pavements. Ski/Boot hire is the only thing not included in the Club Med packages. I can save 40euro per person by going down to the village after booking online with www.best-price-ski-rental.com. The shop they use is Alphand Sport so it is lucky that it is the closest one.

Can't wait, it will be my first visit to Serre Chevalier. It may even snow.
latest report
Heaven forbid it should snow!!!! How impertinent of the weather!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy