Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corcheval

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I am going to Corcheval 1850 and would like some advice as to how to get my wife who is only up to easy blues, out of 1850 and back. I have been looking at prameruel and gravelles for instance as a way in and out of 1650.
If anyone has any advice or knows where I can get acurtae pieste descriptions I would appreciate it.

Thanks
John
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Stay in Courchevel 1850! This would be much better for her! From memory there is a blue run out of 1650 towards the lift above the altiport at 1850, but have never took it!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks
We are staying in 1850 would you know how or wher I could get hold of some run descriptions?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Worth working your way over to 1650 it's much quieter over there. Need to look at the piste map to figure if it can be done on blue/greens though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courchevel (not val wink ! Easy mistake...)

That would be the best way in and out sticking to blues, Prameruel is a pretty run through the trees once you are past the Altiport. Then the Roc Mugnier lift up to some fine blue runs above in 1650.

Do stop off at the Bel Air on your way back!

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1850 to 1650 and back can definitely be done on greens/blues. The runs down to 1650 such as Ariondaz and Grandes Bosses are superbly wide confidence builders. If you want to get over to Meribel and beyond via the Saulire cable car. you will have to go part of the way down on a red, but it is really not tricky and joins onto a blue, or there is a gondola Pas du Lac to Mottaret. The way back to 1850 will entail a short uphil walk to get back to the Saulire cable car.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi
Thanks is Prameruel nice and easy?
As for getting back it looks like gravelles is the only way for her, is this a easy blue would you know?

Regards
John
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks
Janska would you know if gravelles is very easy as a way back?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pramereul is straightforward. The last section of Gravelles is a little steep (for maybe 50m) for someone used to greens and blues, but I am sure she will be fine (up unitl then it is very straightforward).

As Shimmy Alcott says it tends to be quieter in 1650. And there are plenty of good blue runs to build confidence both down towards 1650 and above near Roc Mugnier (like Pyramide, Mont Russes and Plan Mugnier). If she wants to take things really gently there is a pleasant little area called Petite Bosse which she can enjoy with a restaurant at the bottom or the run for hot chocolate.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 29-12-10 12:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both Gravelles and Prameruel are easy runs and neither has any hidden surprises!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnbushrod, Your initial question was how to get in and out of 1850. Is that because you already know where to ski with her within 1850? If not, then I would advise starting there as I think that some of the easiest runs are within 1850. I'm pretty sure the ski schools start off on the Jardin Alpin and Verdon gondolas. From the Verdon gondola, there's a pretty easy run down Verdon back to the bottom. You can alternate that with the Jardin Alpin back through Bellecote. Then over to the Pralong chair and lots of variation around there.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi - yes, relatively straightforward but with a steepish section (can easily be managed - not intimidating at all) at the junction with the Roc Mugnier red (just before you get to the Prameruel crossroads).
However, not sure you'd be able to head back to 1850 without having to go on a red / black from there.
I would definitely endorse the 1650 recommendation - very underrated part of the area. There' a cracking pizza place for lunch in the village - just behind the main meeting point at the bottom (L'Eterlou).
Why don't you ski over to 1650, have lunch, a bit more skiing in the afternoon and get the free ski bus back to 1850 when you're done?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks very much it seems 1650 has easier runs than 1850 would this be the case also would you know if plan fontaine is an easy green and is cretes and arolles easy blues.

Thanks again for so much information so quickly it is appreciated
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi DCG
No we have never been before.
My wife has been skiing before but cannot really manage any more than easy blues. The trouble is that, as you know, the colours do not always tell the full story !
After using the greens and any easy blues it is nice to be able to go a little further a field for variation if nothing else but without knowing (or me heading off alone) we are a liitle unsure has to weher we could enjoyably head for and on what runs - hence the question.
Last year in Valdsare for instance the blues back to town were somwhat understated in my opinion and certainly to difficult for the wife.

Thanks
John
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
franga, just need to get onto the Gravelles lift to get out of 1650 back to 1850 rather than the Aiguille du Fruit, then it is blue altiport all the way home.

johnbushrod, wouldn't say 1650 easier, possibly slightly less people. As DCG says the runs above 1850 round Jardin Alpin and Verdon are all good places to pick up confidence.

The Pralong chair is a good one to use too as it has an area for beginners which is shielded from the main runs and so is much quieter.

Basically Courchevel is set up very nicely for beginners (amongst other things).
ski holidays
Hi Franga
Thanks is the altiport a nice wide easy blue?
ski holidays
johnbushrod, The Val d'Isere runs back to town are much more challenging than in 1850. I agree with other posters that 1650 is a delight and much quietre than 1850, but there's lots of easy skiing in 1850 too. In addition to those I mentioned earlier, there's also an area called Loze accessible from the Chenu gondola on the right of 1850 as you look up the mountain. It has some good and easy skiing, but there is one section of "road" that lots of skiers funnel through and which can be intimidating for a lowere confidence skier.
snow report
DCG
Thanks again have looked at the Loze would you know if the cretes - arolles - plan fontaine would be feasible for the wife the latter shows green but the first two blues would be unknown would you remember what they are like.
latest report
nozawaonsen - you're absolutley right (just looked it up on map).

johnbushrod - can't comment on the Altiport run, have probably been on it but not for a few years (we normally head up the ADF lift and make our way down via the Combe de Saulire, probably one of my favourite runs in the area). I'm sure nozawaonsen can shed some light on this.

I agree with the previous comment on the Val d'Isere runs back to the village - much more challenging than the Courchevel ones.

Crettes and Arolles are easy runs through the trees - normally very quiet. You can then join the lovely (sometimes tricky for beginners if icy / busy) Folyeres blue down to la Tania. You can then head up to Loze on the bubble and the Dous des Lanches chair. Easy way down to 1850 from there bar the busy section through the trees (think a green run) just above the village.

The area is a delight and I'm sure you'll have a cracking time.
snow conditions
Thanks very much for advice and help
Regards
John
ski holidays
johnbushrod, Looks like Franga has answered the question regarding Cretes and Arolles. My recollection is that while they may not be hard, they can be icy over there at times and it's not the best part of the area. The bit around Pralong and Verdon is much nicer and very expansive - I'm sure a low level intermediate could spend a day there without getting bored as there's lots of potential variation on the runs. There's also the couple of runs down from 1850 to 1550 which I think are quite easy for beginners. Another difference between Courchevel and Val d'Isere (both favourites of mine) is that in C it's really quite easy to stop off in the centre - the Croisette - for a break while others carry on for another few runs. That's because there are runs that literally go right through the centre of town. So you could scout out some of the runs to see for yourself whether you feel they would be ok while your wife has an extra coffee stop.
ski holidays
Thanks again
Yes I am sure the coffee idea will go down really well.
My wife could only get down to Val via the lifts as the runs were much to difficult, the greens however were perfect and some of the blues ok once up the mountain.
I am very grateful for all advice and information recieved so quickly.
Am now looking forward to getting there always nice to explore new areas.

Thanks again

Regards
ohn
snow conditions
Don't forget that there is a free bus that runs between the resorts too. So if you make it to 1650, enjoy the day there and feel its too much of an effort to get back , don't worry. Worth going to the Boulotte restaurant in 1650, good value food.
ski holidays
Quote:

My wife has been skiing before but cannot really manage any more than easy blues.

1850 is great for not very confident skiers. Not least because there are some very good quality ski schools there. maybe she should have some lessons? If she's very nervous and aware of holding you back, that's not much fun for her.
latest report
Check out this link from one of the snowheads on here.
http://www.skimottaret.com/
Lots of useful info on getting arount the 3 vallies in the downloads section on his website.
ski holidays
"would like some advice as to how to get my wife who is only up to easy blues, out of 1850 and back"

Stick her on a luge to 1550 and then she can get the lift back to 1850
ski holidays
John, get her some lessons. The skiing around the resort runs of 1850 are almost uphill!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy