Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what ski to buy......decisions decisions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Did a few seasons 10 years ago when I bought the 171cm salomon 1080 spaceframe and been using them ever since. They have been an awesome ski but feel it's time they were retired. I did buy some fischer progressor 9 last year but didn't envisage how much time I would would still be spending in the powder. I also bought salomon Dumonts but they are a bit short (161cm) and soft so have sold them. I am only 5ft 7 but am pretty heavy and would consider myself to be an aggressive skier.

I have been looking at a number of different skis but am torn what to go for so some advice would be appreciated. I had my heart set on the Liberty Helix in a 176 but cannot find any anywhere. So I am torn between Line prophets 100, salomon sentinel and the Line sir francis bacons.

I guess the salomons would be the most similar to my 1080's and they have been a good ski but am open to suggestions.

Cheers guys
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How wide are you prepared to go, where do you see yourself using the skis most (terrain)?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
its prob half and half between on and off piste. With regards to width I do really enjoy long carving turns at speed when on piste so worry if I go too wide that I will lose that. I like to hit a few jumps but am not gonna be spending much time in the park
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Armada JJ,/ARV, Salomon shogun, Rossi S6, K2 Obsethed, Volkl Mantra/Katana/Gotama, Atomic blog/coax

For starters at least, everything from 95-115mm but the bigger the better in my opinion.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carts1980 wrote:
its prob half and half between on and off piste. With regards to width I do really enjoy long carving turns at speed when on piste

AR6UK wrote:
everything from 95-115mm but the bigger the better in my opinion
Crazy advice given the criteria the OP set. For 50:50 with a preference for long radius carved turns when on piste I would go no more than 90mm or thereabouts, and probably something quite stiff.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
did look at the Armada JJ but again I don't seem able to find them anywhere. I do tend to agree with
Quote:

Crazy advice given the criteria the OP set.
I can't go too wide otherwise it will ruin the fun in piste skiing. Does anywhere hire in the UK that people have used? Be good to be able to try some pairs before buying
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carts1980, I have sent you a reply.

cheers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Volkl Mantra all day long!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scott Punisher. If you loved the 1080's you'll love them. On-piste they are brilliant for a 90mm ski.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dynastar Legend Sultan 85 worth considering? Other than the size and weight, I am looking for something similar in a ski, and have been looking seriously at the 80 and 85, that said my balance is more towards piste than powder at the moment.

Are you planning to keep the Fischers as a piste ski, or something to do both on and off piste?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had same requirements and have just bought Rossi S86. 130/86/116. Rad 15.9. Used on piste only at Chill Factore but immediately impressed. Sentinel on same test was not as nice, tho prob better in powder. Have used Lords (87) and like them . Rock steady off piste so expecting same from Rossis. Sold as 50/50

UK hire www.edge2edge.co.uk very good. Delivered to me at Bolton but glad I checked delivery 3 days before or they might have missed the despatch !. Good selection in freeride incl Scott Mission . All around £77 for a week. Check all ski sections as I think Lords are under Piste.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Assuming you're keeping the Fischers for piste days, I'd be going around 100-110ishmm for you're second ski (may as well make the most of having a quiver - and you'll be suprised at the versatility of some fatter skis). Get one stiff enough (tortionally) and as long as the pistes are soft enough for the edges to bite it'll still rail big gs turns well enough. Forget the JJ's as they have a piddly turn radius, maybe something along the lines of the Dynastar Sixth Sense Huge or Voelkl Katana.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
Assuming you're keeping the Fischers for piste days, I'd be going around 100-110ishmm for you're second ski (may as well make the most of having a quiver - and you'll be suprised at the versatility of some fatter skis). Get one stiff enough (tortionally) and as long as the pistes are soft enough for the edges to bite it'll still rail big gs turns well enough. Forget the JJ's as they have a piddly turn radius, maybe something along the lines of the Dynastar Sixth Sense Huge or Voelkl Katana.

x2 except the part about the JJs Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AR6UK,

Quote:

With regards to width I do really enjoy long carving turns at speed when on piste

So soft flexing JJ's with a 14 metre (something tiny like that anyway) aren't really the best option...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
AR6UK,

Quote:

With regards to width I do really enjoy long carving turns at speed when on piste

So soft flexing JJ's with a 14 metre (something tiny like that anyway) aren't really the best option...

Wouldnt call JJs soft..... although i do actually agree about the radius. Very Happy

Gotama/Katana would be a great choice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy