Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me choose a Resort

Poster: A snowHead
I am a university student from America, and will be visiting my parents in Oxford from Mar 4 - 14, who are spending the year there because of work. I have skied many times, but only at Eastern US resorts such as Snowshoe, WV (I'm intermediate - black diamonds are somewhat easy). I'd like to spend 5 days skiing at a European resort with my Mom, who is an experienced skier. What is an easily accessible resort from LHR that you would recommend? I'm leaning towards Chamonix because it is close to Geneva, but after reading a lot of reviews I'm not sure. There are so many choices, I'm hoping someone here can guide me in the right direction!

Thanks!

David
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Portes du Soleil ski area is a great (huge ski area) not too far from Geneva. This area allows you to ski in France and Switzerland on the same lift pass. Avoriaz would be like no other resort you've ever been to as it is totally car free. You have to get around on horse or skidoo drawn carriages! Some people would say its an ugly resort though as it's man made. I Loved it though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your suggestion!

A few questions:

1) Should I be worried about long lines because it looks like the French schools are on break over this period?
2) Any lodging recommendations, given we will stay only 5 nights (2 of us)?
3) What transfer would you recommend from Geneva?

Thanks again!

David
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try www.morzexpress.com Morzine is just below Avoriaz.

I wouldn't worry about the lines. It's such a big ski area that everything is spread out. I went there during holiday time too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only one of the 3 French zones are still on holiday in that period, including the Alps so least likely of all French school holiday weeks to be crowded, just the Belgians will be there as that is our Carnaval holiday week :->>

You could consider UCPA, 4 days and 3 nights in Argentiere for example starting 10th March, all inclusive of skis, lift pass, full board, is 275 euro. Argnentiere is easily reachable from Geneva in 90 minutes, using Cham Express who advertises here I think it's 35 euro one way.
www.ucpa.fr
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sorry 25 euro for the transfer
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah ... I would say Avoriaz is a nice resort to visit if you are there for a short stay.

If you dont mind a 2.5hr drive then Tignes and Val D'Isere is a good choice too ... Tignes has tonnes of off-piste so you wont be bored and its also good that you have Val D'Isere if you get the Espace Killy lift pass.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wildnoon, as someone who has been on several UCPA holidays. I really wouldnt take my mother on one.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If your mum has never skied in Europe before, and you'd like to see some of the culture as well as some slopes, maybe somewhere like Kitzbuhel - a special sort of town. Or Cortina - also very, very, European. Never saw so many fur coats in your life. Or Zermatt. Or maybe the Jungrau? Not Morzine or Avoriaz - great ski area but hardly very interesting towns for someone from another continent!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh yes, no mums on UCPA, I missed reading that bit of information!!!

I'd go to somewhere in Switzerland. Easyjet fly from London to Geneva and Zurich. The prettiest part of Switzerland is arguably Berner Oberland where you find Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald. You can get from Zurich or Geneva airports to anywhere in Switzerland for 127 CHF return, ticket only available to non Swiss residents bought outside Switzerland, just the journey to somewhere like Murren is worth it, never mind the skiing. Zermatt is nowhere near as pretty as Berner Oberland and takes forever to get to and the skiing is not superior there either.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ditto the Jungfrau region, the cheapest train pass is the transfer ticket but has to be purchased in advance from outside Switzerland
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the replies! It sounds like I should narrow my scope to 2 distinctly different options: Avoriaz vs Jungfrau. The skiing and airport access sounds better in Avoriaz, but the scenery and atmosphere in Jungfrau is in a league of its own. Did I sum up my 2 options well? If you had 5 days, would you say there is a clear leader?

Also, I have actually spent a few days in Lautterbraun when I was younger (during the summer...went biking/hiking in whole area), so I remember a little about it. I can't decide if it would be better to go someplace different because of that, or not.

Thanks again!

David
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Avoriaz is a minimum 90 minute transfer from Geneva by minibus, that's your're only cheap option.
Somewhere in the Jungfrau area will be between 120 and 180 minutes by train from Zurich, but the train journey is very picturesque, far prettier than a trip to Avoriaz.

I can't see why you would discount Chamonix? There is so much to do there which is non skiing and "Chamonix" is many ski areas, 5 in the valley and with MBU pass you can also ski in Switzerland in Verbier and Italy in Courmayeur, but all this does entail quite a bit of travelling. I personally do not like the town of Chamonix itself, would stay probably in Argentiere or at Les Praz (think I have that right). Both the Chamonix valley, Jungfrau, Kitzbuhel etc have something extra to offer, other than ordinary skiing. for Chamonix it's the Vallée Blanche off-piste with a guide, or a trip by train to the Mer de Glace for example, for the Jungfrau region, it's definitely the views which give it the edge, it's only because of Swiss prices that we could not personally consider skiing there. Avoriaz is great for straighforward skiing, but what else does it offer?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamonix.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The only reason I was worried about Chamonix is because of the difficulty. It seemed Chamonix was better for experts. But, I'll definitely reconsider.

Thanks!

David
snow report
dshack, with regard to flights, from Oxford, Birmingham airport isn't far, may be easier than LHR, Easyjet goes to Geneva for about £50 return in March (e.g.7th -12th), just a thought.

Will be easier for you to find lodging if your dates don't span 2 separate weeks, a lot of hotels in the Alps will only accept advance bookings from Saturday to Saturday, so you might need to arrive and leave to coincide with this.
ski holidays
How about this hotel Eden in Les Praz on the edge of Chamonix town? It is a very very short walk to the train station, the bus stop, the Flegere cable car which takes you to the 2 main Chamonix ski areas, Brévent-Flegere.You can take the free ski bus to Les Houches, Argentiere (GrandsMontets / Lognan) or le Tour (linked to Domaine de Balme) or the free train to Vallorcine ( Domaine de Balme). If you buy the slightly more expensive Mont Blanc Unlimited pass, it includes Courmayeur, Verbier, Les Houches plus the tourist trips up Aiguille du Midi, Tramway du Mont Blanc, Montenvers Mer de Glace, the Aiguille du Midi cable car is how you access the guided off-piste Vallée Blanche route which takes a whole day.

Hotel Eden gets great reviews on Tripadvisor and can be booked direct or with www.venere.com
http://www.hoteleden-chamonix.com/
snow report
Thanks, Hotel Eden looks like a great choice. I'm leaning towards Les Praz since I've been to Jungfrau before (summer). Any recommendations for renting skis and transfers from Geneva? Chamexpress?

Thanks again,

David
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy