Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Beginner !!! Which Ski School ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am taking a beginner to Chamonix in April ....... not ideal I know, and have told him so !

We are staying in Argentiere ............. even worse .... I know that too !!

Anyway - he is 18 year old lad - quite fit and sporty ...... think he will ski just fine ..... but I need to find a ski school for him to join for morning lessons. Plan to get on the dry slope in Gloucester for a few days to get a feel for it.

I know Chamonix well, but not the ski schools so would appreciate any advice on the best schools and the best beginner areas (Le Tour or Les Houches I guess ?).
Also are there any free beginner lifts ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ESF Argentiere uses the le Tour area (domaine de Balme) for beginners.
http://www.esf-argentiere.com/en/our-structure/our-ski-slopes/index.html#

You could also try BASS, never used them but read positive reviews of them, they advertise they also use Le Tour. I personally wouldn't go all the way from Argentiere to ski in Les Houches or vice versa as a beginner when you have le Tour at your end of the valley.
http://www.basschamonix.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PBJ, we were pleasantly surprised by ESF at Easter last year for my brother's kids...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies - I have put a request in to BASS .... waiting to see what they say.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just read the blurb on ESF Argentiere website, adult groups usually 8 max but last minute bookings sometimes mean 10, but in April, doubt they will be at max. Usually morning lessons are in Argentiere (Lognan) and afternoon lessons start in Le Tour. Over 6 days (usually length of ski school), it works out at 10 euro per hour for group lessons.

As for BASS, lessons in blocks of 2 * 3 hours, works out at 20 euro per hour.

I'm sure there'll be more non EST schools running in the Argentiere area, they are definitely more in Chamonix (Brévent-Flegere) but that is a ski bus ride away.

The cheapest way of learning in the area I suppose is going over to ESF Vallorcine which uses the La Poya area for complete beginners, though not sure if they still use it in April as la Poya is quite low. It's only 67.50euro for a 6 day pass at la Poya, alot less cheaper than buying a LeCham or MBU pass, but then if your 18 year old wants to explore the LeCham or MBU areas, he's have to buy that pass too.
http://la.poya.free.fr/nos_tarifs_029.htm

Personally, I'd go with ESF Argentiere. We've always used ESF for adults and children, hubby and eldest son's French not great but in fact they've always had teachers who also speak English, they both do adult level lessons with ESF.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PBJ, I wouldn't worry too much about learning at GM - we took a couple of 10 yr olds there a few days ago, each with 1.5hrs of dry slope experience. On the 3rd day they were on red runs and loving it. They had 2 days of 2hr lessons with ESF (GM). I can't remember the cost, but it wasn't silly for 2 on 1 instruction and the instructor was very keen that we keep his personal card for future (i assume private) use - PM me if you'd like the contact.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy