Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap dining options in Banff? (or supermarkets?) :)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, I am sad to report that my OH has been made redundant and we are really lucky to be going skiing in jan.

We have been discussing areas to save on costs, we are quite loose with a budget when we normally go away!

Now we don't have any meals booked as part of our accommodation so this will be the major expense. Are there restaurants that you can buy a main course for $15-20 or less?

I'm guessing that lunch on the hill will be rather expensive too so we were considering packing up some food to take with us so we'll need to find a supermarket too for that.

Does anyone have any tips specific to Banff/lake Louise of otherwise?

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Loads of places. The spaghetti place over the mall will probably get you 3 courses for that and they do cheap cocktails there too. *hic*
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
v1cky24, Threre is a big Safeway in Banff. It's a long time since I was there but I recall plenty of pubs that do reasonably priced food. Don't forget to factor in the 15-20% tip

see here as well for deals; the restuarants probably have web sites with menus so you can get an idea of price http://www.banfflakelouise.com/dining-shopping/nightlife
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
v1cky24, that's hard on you. There's another supermarket in Banff - Kellers - slightly more central (though thst's not saying much - it's not a big Downtown area), and there are 2 liquor stores (supermarkets don't sell booze) - a small one by the Ski Hub and a larger one. Will you have cooking facilities in your accommodation?

Tommy's Pub does decent food, and works out pretty cheap, if you want a platter of wings, ribs etc to share. There's also a number of takeaways, including some of the restaurants, and you should get a leaflet with all those delivered by one service (whose name escapes me). And there's a MacDonalds!

Both supermarkets sell the bits to make up sandwiches, or ready made ones - I think Kellers had the better choice of other stuff (like sausage baked into a bread roll).

One big saving could be on breakfast - last time we had room only, we simply bought instant porridge, and some disposable plates/cutlery and had that in our room most mornings, then went out to Melissas a couple of times when we were having amore relaxing day.

On the hill, we found that one pulled pork sandwich at Sunshine fed two of us quite adequately, if we hadn't brought anything with us. If you are desperate for hot calories, try poutine (chips with cottage cheese and gravy - tastes better than it sound

All three ski areas offer a choice of waited-upon or self-service eateries, and lockers are available at all three, so you can leave stuff while you ski. At Norquay and Sunshine, it does not seem to be the norm to actually use the lockers, judging by the amount of bags on top of them, but I guess there's a risk . . .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tommy's is really cheap and you can get a half-decent steak with onion rings for about 10 bucks. It's downstairs beside McDonalds at the Springs end of town.

St. James Gate has mains under the $15 mark and is worth a look. The fish and chips is great.

The Rose & Crown has good pub food and there's lots under 15 bucks.

Magpie & Stump is good if a little pricer, still mostly under 20 dollars.

Elk & Oarsman is reasonably cheap too. You can get a steak sandwich for under 10 dollars if you pick the right night. A bit more expensive than the others with mains around 20.

If you want to splash out one night I'd recommend Coyotes. Saltlik is good if a little overpriced and it's not as good as it used to be. There are a fair few other more expensive places but I think you'd get a weeks meals out of that lot with some change in your pocket.

Like Alexandra said the Spaghetti Factory in the mall is OK but mostly because you get as much garlic bread as you can eat. As well, there is a food court in the mall but it's not the best and if you nkow where to go you can get similarly priced meals in nicer surrounds.

Don't waste your time with Bumpers IMO.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all, I appreciate this loads. I was looking on websites for the cost of things and some of the restaurants seemed rather pricey! It's nice to know there are some cheaper options out there!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
v1cky24, you could comfortably go the week without spending more than 15$ a main and still eat quite well. Hope you're not a veggy Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nope no veggie here. Very Happy

I am looking forward to poutine as a treat for lunch too... I was hooked on that last time!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Don't waste your time with Bumpers IMO.

I thought it was good when I was there, but I was right over the road at the Inns, and it was 5 years ago
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, i thought it had gone downhill the last time we were there; i wonder if it can be variable
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have to agree with some previously mentioned

The spaghetti house above the mall think it was about $15 for 3 course

In the mall there's are a few quick snack places which some people were eating at at night time

The Elk and Oarsman resonable and large club sandwiches

On other side of road from elk there is an Italians not too badly priced

it's the drink prices that put the cost wink up
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all, I appreciate this loads. I was looking on websites for the cost of things and some of the restaurants seemed rather pricey! It's nice to know there are some cheaper options out there!

http://www.esmmagazine.com
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy