Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which fleece as a mid layer?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello there,

I got a Berghaus Spectrum Micro Grid HZ 100 weight fleece for my Chrissie.

It seems very fine/lightweight compared to my other fleeces and I'm wondering if it'll be good enough to keep me warm as a mid layer when skiing at -20C (my jacket is a North Face Triclimate and I'd wear a Helly Hansen or similar as a base layer.

Dunno what weight my other fleeces are, but they seem heavier. Do you guys wear 200 weight? What do you reckon?

ta
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
31 views - no opinions guys? How warm is your midlayer - is a skinny midlayer fleece fine underneath a good ski jacket for -20C?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In an uninsulated hardshell with icebreaker base and 320 weight layer, which isn't a fleece but it's supposed to be a warm midlayer, I'm cold at the core below -10. You can kind of judge it by looking - I have a thin synthetic down midlayer that's perfect to -30 ish but too hot above -10 combined w/ icebreakers, it doesn't breathe at all so is clammy when you take it off etc (but you don't really notice because of the icebreakers.)

Heavyweight decent fleeces would probably replace the down layer to an extent, I'm probably going to pick up a heavyweight one to wear on the days where it's -15ish and will warm up throughout the day (which is pretty common in Fernie).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Dave,

My TNF jacket includes a 100 liner so I'm trying to work out if a 100 fleece in addition will suffice or if I'll need a 200? For skiing high in the alps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No idea really, I doubt they're standardised that well anyway - the good thing about layering is that you can use each piece seperately anyway so just try a hoodie or whatever if you want and see how it goes. Wearing four hoodies if your cold is a bit spazzy but it'll work, there's no cardinal rule that you have to wear specific stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Andythejock,I use a North Face Salathe II fleece (100 weight) as my mid-layer - never had any problems with cold so far.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Andythejock, With an uninsulated shell at -20, I had 2 x long sleeve merino tops & one north face tka100 fleece, which I think is the same weight as the one you were asking about.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Andythejock, Layers are the secret as is your body-fat percentage . . . wink I'f you're a 'tubby' then you don't need big insulation just entrapment layers and a wind-proof outer. Then you need to look at how much effort and energy you put into your sliding. If you're a 'park and ride', admire the scenery, stand at the top of a steep bit and pretend you're scoping a line type skier then you will need a bit more warmth.

If you're an active participant in this sport then you need lightweight layers that can protect you when you're back on the lift but let you breath in exertion . . . I'm hearing good things about Columbia's 'thermal dot' stuff, but that's apocryphal at the moment.

You need to post more about your level of activity and your need or not to augment your 'natural' insulation to make any sort of recomendation.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Masque,

I'm 6'2" and 13st 10 lb, decent fitness as I'm a keen roadbiker and ski agressively for my experience level (about 10 days and not long parallel. Does anyone wear two fleeces plus a helly hansen? I do plan to do lessons, which might mean some standing about.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Andythejock, I have some cheap dri-star 't's from walmart (bit like an extremely fine double skinned string vest) and a long sleeve winter running shirt under a mid quality wind-proof soft-shell (I carry a light hoody fleece and a waterproof shell in the pack) and I've never been cold nor yet needed to add a layer. If it's nasty first off I have a expedition quality hardshell (stupid cheap in TilliMaxx) but still wear the same t and running shirt under. Light close layers that trap the air and wick works a treat. As long as you're wind-proof you shouldn't feel cold standing around. Two fleeces is overkill unless it's -20 and blowing a gale . . . when you'll find my tucked up around a hot chocolate or a cold beer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

lessons, which might mean some standing about.
I do think that makes a difference. I was skiing in -15 in Tignes the other week and did get a bit cold standing around watching other people doing drills. The rest of the time I was fine wearing - on my upper half - merino sleeveless vest, silk long-sleeved vest, thinnish merino long-sleeved top, slightly thicker merino top, insulated jacket. On my lower half I was wearing compression tights, silk long johns, wool socks almost to the knee and insulated (but not very) ski trousers. I don't use a fleece at all any more* - much prefer lots of thin, breathable layers, as Masque says.

*Edit: but then I do also prefer an insulated jacket, for no particularly good reason.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Does anyone wear two fleeces plus a helly hansen?

The only time I have worn that much layering was with a shell jacket and it was -20 C in Les Arcs. Unfortunately I'm not geeky enough to know the weights of the fleeces. but they are relavtively thin, and one has a nice polo neck on it to keep air in. It does help to have something like a Buff which can trap air in, without adding bulk under your jacket. Like Masque, and Hurtle, have intimated it can be very much a suck it and see experience, depending how much you move around etc. Personally I don't really feel the cold, and my main thing is to not overheat in the gondola on the first lift of the day. I've just got an insulated jacket this year, so I'll be experimenting with layers myself.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Andythejock,
Berghaus spectrum fleece, even the heavyweight version will be pretty inadequate for alpine skiing in -20 conditions. Fair enough combined with the fleece in a TNF triclimate jacket it will probably be ok, but 2 fleeces is seriously bulky - you'll find the constraint frustrating (or i would anyway).
Maybe consider buying a TNF Redpoint Jacket. It's insulated with primaloft, which to me is the absolute daddio synthetic insulation, and the redpoint will zip in to your jacket no worries, doing the job of 2 fleeces. Other primaloft options would be the Rab Generator, which I have and love.

Spot the guy who works in an outdoor store Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Andy_gra wrote:
but 2 fleeces is seriously bulky - you'll find the constraint frustrating (or i would anyway).

2 x 100 weight fleeces would be fine IMHO....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers for all the thoughts.

I bought this online (in mood indigo or "RAF blue" as I would call it):

http://store.berghaus.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product8_11201_10252_4-34239_-1___

plus a Berghaus 200 weight full zip fleece. Bought them at discounted prices, so £40 off in total. I have a few skinny fleces if I choose to cover for 4 layers instead of three (including the TNF Triclimate liner).

Didn't realise Berghaus are actually a British company which chose a German name to add credibility. I like the fact it's good stuff and I'm buying British after all!

Andy
snow report
Just bought a Patagonia nano puff jacket and it has a very thing filling of primaloft fibres. I bought it to act as a fleece to wear under my hard shell jacket but it has been fantastic to wear as a top jacket during the cold weather of lthe ast few weeks. As long as you are active (walking) it keeps you as warm as toast. Primaloft jackets will soon make standard fleece jackets a thing of the past.
snow conditions
Patagonia make some awesome kit, and the nano puff is mega. Anything that will resist the wind and give you a wee bit of warmth is enough to ski in (fair enough you might want to dodge the powder). Don't know about you guys but its the wind that gets me, I tend not to notice the cold air when skiing.

kitenski 2 fleeces are ok, in fact they add up to more warmth than the same weight of a single fleece, because of the extra air that they trap. For me, the friction of the two layers is really offputting. I tend to ski light, wore just a baselayer, microfleece and climbing jacket last year. I was pretty cold, but had bags of mobility!
snow conditions
I have a North Face 100 weight, I've always been fine with that over a Icebreaker base layer.
snow report
Tall tee as midlayer.
snow report
I take two fleeces on the trips.

Microfleece for warmer days and a mid weight for cooler days.

Plus an extra baselayer in the daypack in case it gets really chilly.
ski holidays
Anybody ever had an Icebreaker they haven't found excellent?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy