Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help - Breckenridge Recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
I've taken the plunge and booked flights to Denver for Easter 9th to 23rd April with another family. So we will be 4 adults and 4 children looking for (ideally) slopeside accomodation, can anyone recommend either a good hotel or apartment/condo. Thanks

Never been to the US before, quite excited, curious. Is Breckenridge for losers ? Had to find out..
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I should have been clearer, we would prefer ski in/out
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty, you should have been clearer and said you were interested in Breckenridge as opposed to what you actually said wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Duh, yes. Aiming for Breckenridge
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty, Do a search for Breckenridge - there's 43 threads about it (I like Breck). I'm sure others will be along in due course.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, dont know if this will be of interest to you but we are going to Breck in Feb and are a group of 7 - 4 adults and three teenagers. We have booked Pine Ridge condos as they are on the four o'clock run and they do a two bed loft condo, some of which have four beds in the loft. Might be worth a look!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pine Ridge condos are nice and a lot are ski in/out.
Breck is amazing, definitely not for losers.
The Lake Chutes are some of the best skiing I've ever done!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi,
I am off to Breck on Monday my 8th trip, I love it there! I would recommend the Village hotel which is right next to the Quicksilver lift or the Beaver run resort which has the Beaver chair right outside. Also the Great divide is accessible, just out of the front door, cross the road and ski down to the Qucksilver lift. I personally like to stay in the Hyatt Main Street Station, which is a short walk from the Quicksilver lift.
Have a great trip Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just spent three days there last week for the first time and these are my thoughts:
- The hills are fantastic for blue/shallow red cruisers and great for working on technique and well connected
- The open nature of the trail making can make it a little confusing at first but they are very well signposted
- The long chair rides could do with bubble protection . . . wind was like a breadsaw so get some face protection
- Stay slopeside as early morning and afternoon traffic on the route through town makes the M25 like an empty race track and the busses get maxed out quickly. (I rode them Evil or Very Mad )
- Get away from the gondola stations on 7 and 8, the lines are long at the best of times
- Slopeside prices are Shocked Shocked Shocked before you tip as are lift tickets on the hill. There are discounts available just do a web search for locations especially if you're hiring kit
- It'd be a great place if it weren't so sprawling but that's apparently pretty much the norm for the US

- If you have a car, shop 10 miles down the road in Frisco, it's about 10% cheaper and the Brewery on the corner of Main St. sells beer pigs with whatever you want in them. I can heartily recommend the Stout and the Irish Red (like a bit better than Newkie Broon . . . tasty).

I'll be going again but a bit more organised than this last off the cuff visit. And if you're driving up i70 take care it can be nasty and obey the signs and speed limits CoHP is on a purge this year

Have fun, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Will any of the kids be in ski school? If so, remember that much of Breck's slopeside accommodation, including the Pine Ridge mentioned above, is slopeside but not next to the ski school. That might not be a problem if lessons start late enough and the kids are good enough to ski across to the central lift area, but if they're complete beginners it would mean paying slopeside prices but starting the day with a bus ride.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's a new hotel near the Snowflake lift, which would be handy!
Sorry, I don't know what it is called!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the replies, very grateful and I apologise for not doing a search of existing posts. We are all really excited about going to the US and exploring Breckenridge, I'll post a trip report afterwards.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty, it's going to be amazing!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't wait to hear it! Breckenridge is on my to-do list Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty, if you need some restaurant recommendations - let me know.
latest report
Just been looking at the piste map, the Chutes looks very interesting !! No red runs, I'm guessing the single black are similar I grade to a red run ?
snow conditions
Yeah they vary though - be a bit careful. The blue blacks are like easy reds.
The lake chutes are insane!
snow report
Some single blacks are definitely harder than European reds. The main difference is the possible presence of surprisingly large moguls.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 3-01-11 21:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Haha yes, the blues on Peak 7 are like gentle green runs - with no one there you can absolute bomb down them, but when the mountain is full, there are a lot of learners!
The bowls and Lake Chutes however, amazing!
latest report
GF and me off to Breck (first time Breck), mid Feb, looking forward to it. Will be GF's third trip and the pistes appear to be wide enough (ever improving skier) for her, whilst the powder is calling me (skier enjoying the darker side). Question though - can anyone recommend a shop there for servicing / waxing the board (yes i know i should do this myself, but often find that a local shop has a better feel for the conditions)?

Cheers
snow report
Head over to Vail for a day if you have the opportunity, its only a 45 minute ride and the terrain is much easier to navigate and explore. Also has much better lift access. Brekenridge is OK but the layout is awful, lifts are not so hot. Also try Keystone which is only 20 minutes away.
latest report
Vail's Blue Sky Basin is definitely worth a ski!
I think there's a good ski shop by the restaurant 'Mi Casa'?
Look on Google Maps Wink
snow report
Thanks guys. Laughing
snow conditions
Lot's of ski in-ski out places in Breck- a friend in Frisco (10 miles away) runs Vacation Lodging Network which you can access at http://www.skilodgingrental.com/ I'd opt for something that skis down to the Peak 9 base area as opposed to something that is off the gondola return run, but that is just based on my intuition having skied past them and knowing that you have to walk across the hwy to access the gondola.

I think Breck tends to overate many of their runs as Lake Chuutes alluded to. Much of the lower part of the mountain is very flat , but some of these runs get blue (or even black) ratings as they have one steeper section that (barely) deserves the rating. In the past, I thought the blue-blacks would be blues at most other CO resorts, but I think the newer trail maps did away with them and now call them blacks. Just because you feel comfortable on a blue or black at Breck doesn't mean that you will feel comfortable on a blue or black at Keystone, A-Basin, etc, but the top of mountain (Imperial & t-bar) and parts of Peak 10 has some challenging terrain and a blue or a black with bumps can be much more challenging than the same slope when it is groomed.

I get my skis tuned at Precision Ski in Frisco.

It's a long way from April, but the snow is good now with a base well above last year. Enjoy!
latest report
Ok, we have nearly nailed a house in Breckenridge for the first week, its been hard as there is just so much choice and the quality seems high for the cost (nice problem to have). Our group seem to want to visit somewhere else the second week. Where's best within say 50 miles for a weeks stay with children.
snow conditions
Vail Smile
snow report
sarep, yep I think thats what I'll do. Thanks, just needed that extra nudge Very Happy
latest report
I have found a house next to the 4 O'clock run, does anyone know if it would be easy for a second week, child skier to make it to the ski school meeting point which I BELIEVE is at Peak 8 ?

Thanks

Frosty
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its amazing here, full trip report to follow shortly. For anyone contemplating a visit with or without children i" d recommend this place. Altitude a bit wearisome for the first three days but its all ok now, the skiing is amazing and i love the controlled ungroomed pistes here, anyway, thanks for all the advice everyone
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy