Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
Been snowing in Champoluc at least all afternoon.

Real data to follow after prezzie opening tomorrow... Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Let's hope for a good season for Monterosa. A wonderful place when conditions are good.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BobinCH, indeed! thanks!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm arriving in about 40 hours for a week in Gressoney La trinite (spelling), been watching the webcams all week, can't wait Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great place to ski - very underated. There is more to life than the three valleys - shhhh - don't tell too many people Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hmmm, oh yes, very lovely thank you very much.

About 40-50cms fresh on firm and lumpy base. Very excellent above 2,000m, a little heavy below. Crappy vis so slopes virtually empty (expect this to change for NY) - best start to the seaon in my mind since 2008.

Not the biggest ski day ever after a slow start (I mean, it's Xmas day) but some lively side piste pitches, and an excellent lunch at the lovely Frantze Rascard.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm setting off in 7 hours, should get some skiing done tomorrow later in the day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
milnerhome, you should be in for a great time...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
milnerhome, you should be in for a great time...

I'm suspecting it to brighten up later on? which is a shame because I prefer skiing under clouds.. where's the best places on the mountain at the moment?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Testing wink (via SMS)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowing heavily in turin airport, 3 hours behind schedule (via SMS)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
milnerhome, tbh, we're heading to Antagnod - full of kids and beginners and the only tracks will be the pisteurs. Sun coming out, all lovely, 50cms in the garden, 20 cms on the car overnight.

Hungover like rapists however...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
By the way, we had Christmas dinner at the Sapin. Best restaurant in the alps.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Magnificent.

Magnificent.

Best snow I have seen since 2001.

Had to have a little lie down.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We had a nightmarish wait around in the back of a minibus for a few hours outside Turin airport, which stopped us getting a few afternoon turns in.

wheres the best snow to be had then?
snow conditions
I've come down with really bad flu, looks like my holidays ruined Sad
latest report
milnerhome,

That could be annoying. Do you mean flu or just a cold? If the latter, take antihistamines, ibuprofen, decongestants and ignore it.
snow report
most definitely flu, not just a cold.
latest report
milnerhome, how was your days skiing? Any pics? Man up and get out there Wink
snow conditions
scotia wrote:
milnerhome, how was your days skiing? Any pics? Man up and get out there Wink

I went out after taking large quantitys of drugs, I hit a rock on the first run, put a big gouge in the skis, ripped my brand new ski pants and bent a pole.. what a poo-poo day Shocked

hopefully get some pics later in the week, new snow is needed badly, everything is tracked out.
snow report
milnerhome, "everything is tracked out"

Sorry.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I am going to ask what you were expecting? I reckon conditions were as good on the 26th as I have ever seen.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
milnerhome, "everything is tracked out"

Sorry.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I am going to ask what you were expecting? I reckon conditions were as good on the 26th as I have ever seen.

haha I know, monday was a killer day.. just needs a random snow storm before we trek off home Toofy Grin
ski holidays
milnerhome, still got to be wee stashes to have, I mean, it wasn't busy... where you staying?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
milnerhome, still got to be wee stashes to have, I mean, it wasn't busy... where you staying?

lift lines were packed today.

Gressoney-La-Trinate.. hotels called scolletero or it means squirrel in english? haha
ski holidays
milnerhome, it'll be busy for 2 more days then quieten down. The 1st should be lovely and quiet.

Your worst lifts will be out of Pianalunga and should you venture to Frachey. That said I don't really know what Gressoney's like first thing as we're either in Champoluc or less frequently Alagna.

New restaurant/Albergo Frantze above Champoluc well worth a visit. It was open last year but still shaking down.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
milnerhome, it'll be busy for 2 more days then quieten down. The 1st should be lovely and quiet.

Your worst lifts will be out of Pianalunga and should you venture to Frachey. That said I don't really know what Gressoney's like first thing as we're either in Champoluc or less frequently Alagna.

New restaurant/Albergo Frantze above Champoluc well worth a visit. It was open last year but still shaking down.

were only here for a week so the 1st is our last days skiing.

Seeing the huge amount of lift accessible off piste, especially pillow lines, I'm going to try and make a return sometime later on in the season for a couple of weeks with just myself for company, when would you say should be a good time? I'm thinking Late february/early march.
ski holidays
milnerhome, ah, that's a shame.

The big problem is that although there is in principle a huge amount of lift accessible off piste, there rarely is enough snow to make it al easily feasible. e.g. there's a nice route-ette down into Gressoney parallel to the main run and drains into the Moos piste, but I haven't seen enough snow in it to ski in about 5-6 years (not that we are there every weekend).

So really hard to call. Got to give it enough time to get the snow in though.
snow report
Off to Monterosa in a week's time Toofy Grin ... Alagna snow report thread is looking good http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73864 .

I found this useful link to a rolling 24hr real time weather station for the region on the weather page of one of the local hotels, showing temp;humidity;wind speed & direction;sunshine;precip & cumulative precip (this is in mm melt-water as they have a heater on the gauge, but it does get blocked in heavy snowfall) http://www.regione.vda.it/protezione_civile/meteo/dati/Graf05.gif

The metogram for the area is at http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/MS_080460_g05.png this has
1) x-section through sky (low/mid/high cloud cover)
2)Pressure
3)Wind speed & direction
4)Temp (min, max)
5)2m Relative Humidity
6)Precipitation
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all

Can someone post an update on the Monte Rosa ski condistions please - I'm due in Gressoney in two and need my fill of what the snow is like after the dumps last week

Cheers
Gaz
ski holidays
Well - you won't be disappointed Toofy Grin Toofy Grin....
    10 cm overnight Sun/Mon with a respite in the daytime, then continued overnight and had reached 30cm by Tuesday morning. Madeye-Smiley
    2 more days making fresh tracks, then started snowing again Thursday afternoon & had dropped another 20inches = 50cm by Friday morning!!! Laughing
Dead quiet in the week so there was still loads of untracked, but the Turin/Milan hordes were piling in for the weekend bluebird conditions...
Will post some pics shortly snowHead
snow conditions
Excellent thats was what I was hoping for. I'm there in 2 weeks and cant wait. Wasn't supposed to bo going this year so this is a bonus and I've fancied this place for a few years - got some powder lessons booked as well. You say quiet in the week - How quiet?

Cheers
Gaz
snow report
Gaz_H said,
Quote:
You say quiet in the week - How quiet?

Well - there was never any queuing for lifts, and plenty of untracked pow. even after 2 or more days (which would have been tracked in a couple of hours in places like Val d'Isere etc)

There are some superb itineries from the top of the new Indren cable car, particularly the Balma: east into the Valle della Pisse & down into Alagna; plus the Grande & Eagle couloirs (easy) to the west.

The Olen Valley from the Rif. Guglielmina at the top of the Salati gondola is a must and there are excellent off-piste runs from pylon21 etc under the Salati bubble - for a stunning variant on the exit traverse, dropping down through the Canyon Leisch is a must ... too many good runs to list wink

I've just uploaded a quick selection of pics....

It snowed a bit....

then the sun came out.....

and we had some fun... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thanks Geoffers - that looks the business - just hope the off piste lesson prove their worth. Seems like there a load more snow due this coming weekend!! Shocked
latest report
Gaz_H Lucky you - it looks like the snow should start again on Friday Blush

The weather link on the Italian version of the monterosa site here http://www.monterosa-ski.com/it/Previsioni-Meteo-inverno.html is quite good - if you click on the actual resort names eg Staffal; Alagna; Champoluc etc there's graphics showing the likely weather in each of the valleys, which does seem to differ depending on where the weather is coming from

Meteogram for the area (changes with each GFS run)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 13-03-11 21:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
What's all this I keep hearing about a poor snow year in the alps

http://youtube.com/v/dgNQP9txoug
oops: ignore the typo in the title credit
ski holidays
Just got back from Monte Rosa yesterday. The few cms of new snow on Sat night / Sunday have definitely helped conditions but the piste is very hard (judging from my bruising from slow speed fall). The black runs down in to Gressoney on both sides of the valley are in excellent condition. The off-piste on either side of the piste in Gressoney and Champoluc is crusty and unpleasant. Biggest benefit, though, was there was next to no one in the area - 2 dozen cars in the car park in Champoluc and less than that in Frachey.
snow report
Anyone out in Monterosa at the moment?

Off to Gressoney La trinite on Mon 11th April; snows reports saying its solidly packed at the moment and they haven't had a decent dump for a couple of weeks now. Just wondered if anyone is out there?

Cheers

Ol
snow report
under a new name wrote:
we're heading to Antagnod

What's it like there? It's one of the ones I've not made it to yet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy