Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have you ever lost your phone in the snow?

Poster: A snowHead
Last week I was skiing with a close friend and her husband. Since the 3 of us skis at different speeds, we often take differnt routes and meet up at the bottom of a chair or the lodge after a run, or several runs. Most times, the timing works out quite perfectly. But other times, after waiting a while, it's necessary to call to see if there's a problem, or when plans changed (like, long line at the chair and we're going somewhere else).

Interestingly, my friend would answer her phone on the chair. I got to think it's a prime potential to drop it into the deep snow below! But she's been doing that all this time and never had a problem.

So how many of you routinely answer your phone while on the chair? Have you ever dropped it? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had my I phone lodged in my backpack chest strap to video my son last year in zermatt, and it fell out,without me knowing, and was lost forever, until some very kind Swiss lady somehow managed to recognise me in the village and gave it me back before I had cancelled everthing , snowHead Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc, The only time I've lost was was when I stacked it and the phone flew out of an open pocket. We got it back by ringing it.

I usually try and keep the phone on a lanyard but my current one doesn't have an attachment for a clip.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
No, but I did lose one down the toilet once. Or should that be I did loos one down the toilet once Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, I've dropped one down the toilet before. It never worked again but luckily the sim card was still OK.

david@mediacopy, a lanyard is a great idea and for motorcycling too. Saves all the faffing about with gloved hands remembering which pocket it's in.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia wrote:
rob@rar, I've dropped one down the toilet before. It never worked again but luckily the sim card was still OK.
No, mine neither. It was dead within 5 minutes.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I dropped my phone on the chairlift that takes you to the mid station on the grande motte, I found it but it never quite worked the same. I also dropped a very nice Sony digital camera on the Mer de Glace about 300m before the steps up to the gondola and never found it. At current rate of glacial retreat I am planning to go back and recover it in 2030.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used to keep mine in my trouser pocket and it fell out into the snow once when I went over the handlebars being a bit cocky and going too fast. It stopped working and despite being put on the radiator to dry back at the chalet never worked again. I felt really vulnerable without it skiing for the rest of that week. And it wasn't insured... lesson learned there. It now is insured and stays safely zipped up in a jacket pocket. I've never worried about talking on the phone/texting whilst on a chair though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've never used my phone on the chair lift - I always think the risk of dropping the phone, glove or pole is too high (cos I'm a clumsy mare). I keep my phone in a zipped pocket at the bottom of my sallies - nothing else in that pocket and I can feel it ringing when ti vibrates; easy to get too as well
When I dropped my phone down the toilet it dried out and worked perfectly Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

When I dropped my phone down the toilet it dried out and worked perfectly

I'm guessing it was "clean water", as it were. If you drop it in post (or during) urination it's very unlikely to work again. Something to do with alkaline.

Apologies if this is TMI
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you do drop something like a phone in water pop out the battery as soon as you can then remove as many bits as you can and put it somewhere warm to dry out.

I keep mine in my inside jacket pocket, but that's not really a good place as it can be a bit moist inside a jacket.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr John, it was indeed clean water, the phone fell out of my pocket as I was reaching to the cistern for something
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
my sister once dropped her phone down the toilet and like you say, it broke instantly, tried drying it out over the next week or so but it was dead, HOWEVER, it was shoved in a drawer and by chance about a year later, my dad took it out of the drawer and charged it up and what do you know.......it worked!!!!!

last year whilst on a chair my son dropped his pole into an off pisted area and not being very confident off piste my hubby had to walk down to get the pole. He was absolutely knackered. Then the next day on a different chair, hubby took gloves off to warm his hands up (the old "cup and blow" Laughing ) and he didnt realise he had dropped his glove. luckily for us a french couple behind us had seen him drop the glove and was able to tell us the number of the telegraph pole (or whatever you call it) that it had fell. luckily this time it was on piste! I always take the kids poles off them now when they get onto the chair.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Those sneaky chaps at apple put water sensitive stickers in the case so if you try and exchange a water damaged device they know.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, Never lost one in the snow, but found one ringing as I skied past in deep powder on Rendl off-piste in St Anton.........................I dug it out of the snow like Top-cat answering the phone for Inspector Dibble (showing my age eh?!)

Traced it back to the rightful owner, walked all the way into town in a blizzard, handed it back in a busy bar and never even got a beer offerd just, great mate cheers................KH eh??
rolling eyes
snow report
Dropped my phone in my beer once.
Thought it was a gonner as it didn`t work but later found it was the battery which shorted out so don`t dismiss the phone if similar happens.
snow conditions
Quote:

Those sneaky chaps at apple put water sensitive stickers in the case

Nokia too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy