Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

edge and wax

Poster: A snowHead
How hard is to do this yourself and what is the best way to get started, i saw in a supplement from falline that you can get a @starter@ kit for £100 http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/4650/products/Edge_and_Wax_Starter_Kit.aspx

is this something i can do for my skis by reading about it and getting the right kit or would i need someone to show me?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just contact our local supplier... sypderjon

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1550611&highlight=tuning#1550611

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1548441&highlight=tuning#1548441

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/category/5/14/34/

It's pretty easy to do your own tuning but better for someone to show you first hand. Plenty of vids on youtube though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks its one f those things that i'm sure once i know what to do it's straight forward but at the moment i only know what i've read and i always wonder just how easy it is, doesn't look hard at all but then again watching people who know what they are doing tends to make anything look easy Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought a couple of cheap suction cup vices from Aldi and screwed them to my workbench... they are fantastic. Just get the dings out with a stone, if you are not changing angles you probably won't need a metal file. Get a 100 grit diamond file, a 400 or 600 and a 1500 for the final polish if you want a perfect finish. Edge angle guide and a plastic base angle guide and maybe a gummi for removing final burr (no de-tuning tips and tails though). A couple of bands to hold your bindings back make life easier than improvising.

Waxing is simple, and you can get nylon scrubbing brushes in various levels of softness from a pound shop.

Give it a go... with diamond files you won't be removing enough metal to mess things up. I was changing edge angles on my 3rd go with some rougher cut files and felt happy about it... and even the earliest efforts still felt better than then shop tune. Also you can take the diamond files and guide on hol with you and touch the skis up every couple of days... that way they never really get blunt.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Get a 100 grit diamond file, a 400 or 600 and a 1500 for the final polish

If you were to get just one diamond file would you say a a course 100 or medium 400? Or do you really need both?
This is for basic edge resharpening rather than full on tuning.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sbirring, just one?

I'd go corse. Diamond files mainly polish/resharpen, but do remove some metal while doing it. Files are used to change the angles.

100 grit is still a much finer polish than a tuning machine would put on your edge.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
always done mine myself, looked up a few vids on youtube and went for it. Ski's still going strong after 3 seasons (if anything they are better now as over time with more waxing they have got faster and faster) still getting me down the mountain and turning so must be doing sum ut right wink

I did get a proper ski wax iron and ice cut file and edge tool, and a scraper from http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/ and also 3 dimond stones from ebay(course, fine, super fine)

But i saved a few pennys by using my old black and deker work mate to clamp the ski's in (over the uber posh shop sold ski clamps) and got my nylon brushes from B&Q for a £2, as others have said get some bungie to tie your bindings back out the way.

Over all the whole lot cost me about £70-80 ish, saved me a fortune as i have mine and my wifes ski's to maintain.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
make it sound so easy i might have a go myself
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
phindme, +1 for Jon's ski tuning. If you care about your planks you will never leave them with for a shop tune again
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevindonkleywood, depends on the shop, my local in Mottaret does a cracking job....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i think a Jon tuning session sounds like money well spent, i tend to learn faster when i have someone show me then i try, thanks for all the responses.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, Point taken, I should avoid generalisations Embarassed there are some good guys out there.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just dived in and did mine for the first time today - seems to work out fine and wasn't hard. If I spend most of my time on my backside tomorrow then I have a ready made excuse !!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use a £7 dry iron for waxing - nice and light to take with me. Get an old ski to practise on - ptex welding etc. I would take skis into a shop for a good flat stone grind, but never let them near a belt grinder.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why has everyone got problems with belt sanders???? Most skis are finished on a belt when they leave the factory.....nothing to do with the machine more the operator!!!
snow conditions
Hi,
Being doing the family "ski collection" for the last couple of years and deffo you should contact Spyderjon,I got several training sessions from the tech at my club who served his time in Soll and it took a while to get it right but now have complete confidence - I service my sons race skis and have asked top racers opinions on my efforts and all has been positive.The main kick I get out of it is you know you've done a good job and its nice to escape the melee of family for a couple of "shed hours" - ah the smell of hot wax !!!
latest report
briand6868, Plus the cold beers you keep under the workbench Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy