Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daily Mail Ski Mag

Poster: A snowHead
I can't believe I fell for it.
I've picked up the odd issue in the past and thought it OK ish Picked up the Nov issue and it was good.
Good articles on skiing, boarding, gear resorts etc.
So in a moment of madness and in need of a ski/board fix I took out a subscription - the Ski Guide 2011 was a big draw.
December issue was a clothing catalogue.
January issue a bit thin and a a cook book. Why they put "snowboarding " in the title is beyond me ! Mad

I was wondering where my book was, then I read the very very small print
"limited to first 200 subscribers". What a shower of winkers they are. That should have been in BOLD when making the
online subscription, not in tiny text in the mag.
Is there a decent ski or board mag out there. They seem to be either fashion or ultra rad, nothing in between.

Ah well off to the pub to cool down. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sarge, Got some back copies from 1984 you can have, complete with Lutha ski gear, and Nevica one-piece suits, thats when Daily Mail Ski Mag was in its hey-day, didnt know it was still going (only joking, but I know what you mean).

If you go into Ellis Brigham or Snow & Rock they have some pretty cool mags kicking about, flick through these and see what you think before you dive in with a subscription. Mostly in my experience November is a good mag with Daily Mail Ski etc, then it tails-off very quickly into banal repeats of last years tips in the other 3-4 monthly season mags.........OK but expensive fire-lighter IMO!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oh dear

try Fall-line

ed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree. It's a terrible magazine with the odd article interspersed between the adverts, the advertorials and the sponsored items (what's the difference?). My advice is stick with the web (this in particular).

On a personal note, the stuff in Ski and Board makes it appear an august and scholarly journal in comparison to the rubbish in DMS and the irritatingly 'gnarly' Fall Line. I guess the readership for these mags is so small that overwhelming advertising is the only way it can really pay for itself. Still, it's no excuse for the lazy crap I have seen in the mag (stuff like, '10 things you must do on the slope before you die', etc, etc). As for the resort reviews in the back...............
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought a copy at the airport last night when I was delayed and am peed with myself I did it's f@cking rubbish
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dark Summer was good and free. Not sure if it's still going though. The guy that runs it occasionally posts on here I think.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fall Line, yes, that's a title I remember being OK, thanks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Credit where it's due. I sent a robust Evil or Very Mad , but polite, snot-o-gram to them and a copy of the ski (and board ? ) guide turned up.
Pretty much the same as my 2005 copy, but updated piste maps with specific comments is pretty good.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fall-line all the way - its now fall line ski & board, still has a bit more of a ski focus though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do enjoy the dreamy escapist articles my Powder subscription brings every month
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sarge wrote:
Fall Line, yes, that's a title I remember being OK, thanks.

Fall Line. Yes, that's a title I remember being stitched up with over my subscription.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe there should be a new Forum section on Snowheads? Call it 'Magazine Articles' or sommat, basically reserved for long form articles with piccies, on any ski/snow related topic. Could even invite sponsors/advertisers and split proceeds between Snowheads/author 50/50.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fall Line everythime rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wish there was a British magazine based on Ski Racing and the World Cup circuit and such, that you could buy in the Newsagents.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Me too.
snow conditions
spud, I'd love a racing magazine, maybe something in style of the high-end football mags like Four Four Two.

As for the Daily Mail mag, it's not too bad...it arrives on my doormat and then get's hung on the magazine rack in the downstairs toilet and thats where it serves it's purpose, it's fine to read whilst on the jacks......you wouldn't be doing any research with it or trying to improve your technique (cos the descriptions of what you're supposed to do make no sense at all!!) it's fine for scanning through as you sit there.
snow report
Sarge, never read fall line but getting the impression it's skiings White Lines. If you do board (even part time wink ) its worth a flick!
snow report
Many years ago there was a 'serious' magazine called Skiing UK , put together by Ian McMillan and was based in Scotland. This was aimed at the genuine enthusiast and had articles that went beyond the banal rubbish you see in DMS. Proper ski reviews, the fuss about the so called Equivalence and actual articles were all inside. Sadly, the publication stopped in 1990/91 but it was the the best in Britain by far. Does anyone remember?
snow report
kevin mcclean, Yeah I remember that mag and totally agree with what you say about it ... still have a few old issues tucked away Toofy Grin

Another vote for Fall Line here although some issues are better value than others and I always seem to read it pretty fast but it's not full of advertorial and articles aimed at once a year/first time holiday makers.

I also like the US based magazines Powder and Freeskier - you can check out digital issues of Powder (and other snowsports mags) on Zinio where you'll find digital subs are a snip at £5.14 for 6 issues and some back issues are a steal at 62p each. Back issues of Freeskier can be read online on their website here ... digital 'aint so good for reading in the loo though unless you have a laptop Toofy Grin

For anyone looking for a decent ski race magazine there's Racer Ready but it's not available on the high street.
ski holidays
dazman wrote:
spud, I'd love a racing magazine, maybe something in style of the high-end football mags like Four Four Two.

As for the Daily Mail mag, it's not too bad...it arrives on my doormat and then get's hung on the magazine rack in the downstairs toilet and thats where it serves it's purpose, it's fine to read whilst on the jacks......you wouldn't be doing any research with it or trying to improve your technique (cos the descriptions of what you're supposed to do make no sense at all!!) it's fine for scanning through as you sit there.

I really don't know why the high st magazines in the UK, don't have more pages on the racing and Club scene. If your into freestyle and powder, you're well catered for.

I often go to Italy and when i do, I buy this magazine... http://www.raceskimagazine.it/InEdicola

If you can read Italian it's great. It's possible to google translate the website and read.
ski holidays
My wife got me a subscription to DMSS a couple of years back. The offer was also to gate a free boot bag or rucksack for the subscription. Needless to say neither of these came. I called a few times and they kept saying they were in the post or that the supply had run out and they were waiting for more.
I think the mag itself is pretty poor, but it was fun to get it delivered and have a read in the bath. Although "maybe" this forum disproves the theory (?) perhaps over the course of a season there isn't really that much new you can write in a mag about skiing/snowboarding.
snow conditions
Try this link, lots of good info http://www.skiracing.com/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy