Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski-ing and Parking of Motorhomes

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking at using a motorhome for accomodation during my ski trips next year.

I am interested around the 3 valley's area, Seistreaire for the olympics and possibly Wengen.

Has anyone used one before and how cold at night are they and also which resorts offer good parking facilities near to lifts for parking during my stay

thanks mate
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Super Eagle, I seem to recall there being a caravan park near Grund Station (in the next valley to Wengen) at least I've skied past it before, obviously with no road to Wengen there's no parking in Wengen itself, there may be parking in the Lauterbrunnen valley but it will be further away from the Lifts than the Grund option
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
People do it, so I'm guessing that it can't be THAT cold!!

Are you looking for somewhere that you can just park up, or are you wanting a campsite with electric hook-up?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Super Eagle, can't help you with those resorts but I was on a train coming down from Zermatt the other day and went past a motorhome/camping park near Tasch and Randa. If you park there and take the train up to Zermatt (about 15 mins) you're at the heart of some of the finest skiing in the world.

Look on the map. You drive via the valley town of Visp and climb up from there for about 30 mins.

As for cold, I've slept in a motorhome in Aviemore in the winter and it was impressively cold. I guess any unheated vehicle is going to be refreshing, so I'd simply get yourself a very warm sleeping bag!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mr D. G got all the winter gear for cold nights so that doesn't worry me but yes Liz electric hook ups would be better but motorhome is self sufficient.

I know from ski-ing in Valmorel there is a car park/coach park just outside the village where I could park and use the motorhomes batteries but I am looking to travell around next year. Also Neiderau in austria had parking at the bottom of the main lift when I last went. As long as there is permisable parking within or close to the ski areas anything would be o.k
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zermatt also sounds good

Thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Super Eagle, A bit further I guess, but for skiing at Schladming there is a caravan/motorhome park right by the gondola at Reiteralm.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There were two motorhomes in the Police Pound at Val Thorens this January, I suggest that maybe VT don't encourage such parking!
In Les Gets a few years ago there was an established motorhome parking area.
I think I saw one in or near Bourg st M. but I think others may correct me on this! wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did think about maybe parking in moutiers as I believe most resorts either run free bus services from the train station or at worst there are normal bus services to most 3 valley's resorts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Super Eagle, Talk about feeble minds in synchronicity. I’ve been researching this for the last six months. There are full service (lecy hook-up, showers, toilets, laundry etc.) campsites at virtually every ski station in the Alps and many are on a ski bus circuit. (most resort websites have a link to campsites in their accommodation pages)
The advice I’ve had is to use a reasonably modern camper van (insulation that works!) and not a converted panel van + it needs to be fitted with a BIG indirect gas or (preferably) diesel space heater. And it’s better to have fixed beds for all occupants than having to convert seats etc. (too much disruption)

I had a conversation with an ‘elderly’ German camperman last year and he had a ‘Smart’ car on a front wheel lift at the back of his A class that he used to commute around with. He and his Frau spent every winter in the Alps (between 4 or 5 centres) and every Summer bumming around the Med. In between they have a tiny flat in Munich.

I found him while out on a fitness stumble and followed the smell of BBQing bratwurst (I always thought it was ‘sposed to be steamed?). Has to be said he was living very comfortably.

boredsurfin, There are two at BsM (1 just behind SuperU), one up at Vallandre, a very nice one at La Rosiere, two in Tignes . . . alla re open in Winter.

They're everywhere Shocked and not so many years ago I was in a tent for a week at Nancroix . . in January
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

followed the smell of BBQing bratwurst (I always thought it was ‘sposed to be steamed?)

No, it's normally griddled or grilled, in my pre-vegetarian experience. I don't think you'd want to treat a bratwurst like a frankfurter, because it's a beast of a sausage and I guess it's raw meat - whereas I presume the frankfurter is part-cooked.
A German sausage thread could be a novelty, but I'm not starting it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:
...the smell of BBQing bratwurst (I always thought it was ‘sposed to be steamed?).
'Bratwurst' literally translated means 'grilled sausage'.

Now, back to topic...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Indeed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Masque for your info.

Indeed I have seen people out in Motorhomes during my ski-ing holidays in past years.

I have recently been looking at purchasing an Hymer C-Class 644 GT. Isulation I am told is generally to a EN specification but more importantly insulation standards are usually too the country of original manufacturer.

IE theres no point buying a UK built motorhome which is only suitable for UK winters. The Hymer's are German built so I would expect it capable of coping with a European cold winter.

The money I spend yearly on Hotel bills and Flights are taking there toll and at least I can move to where ever the snow conditions are best.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

he had a ‘Smart’ car on a front wheel lift at the back of his A class
His & her mini cars Shocked Puzzled
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, A class motorhome, A BIG sucker, bit like a small bus, had a hydralic tail lift that lifted the Smart on to two wheels like an RAC etc. recovery vehicle.
snow conditions
Super Eagle, in the 3 Valleys Val Thorens has a car park for the purpose - P2D. Have a look under 'compulsory parking' on their website.
ski holidays
Super Eagle,
I spent the 2003/04 season touring the Alps in a Hymer 644. They are certainly up to the job.
With decent bedding you should be warm enough at night without heating but, if you don't want your water to freeze, you should keep a minimal level of heating on.
Not all resorts are as easy as you might think for parking - for example, there are only 2 places near StAnton where you may park up. They are not particularly cheap and they are a few miles from resort. Conversely, in places like Sauze it is possible to park at the bottom of a chairlift - but you will have no facilities.
Things to consider include obtaining water and gas (supply varies in different countries, as do the valves) and where your next shower is coming from - let's face it, you can shower in a motor-home but it's not particularly pleasant and it uses your water fast, which is a major consideration when parking wild. I found it became easy after a while to 'blag' showers in all sorts of places wink

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did snowHead
snow conditions
Thanks Casper for your shared experience.

Having had the comforts of quality hotel rooms in the past I have now hit 40 and all of a sudden the frill of slumming it during a winter season excites me.

So I may wake up in the morning freezing my B**%%ks off ( although I do posses good winter kit ). The small showers in the vans as you say is like washing under a tap but hay what could be better than being out there next to nature living the dream.

Hope other memebrs can offer good advise.
snow conditions
Super Eagle,
Quote:

what could be better than being out there next to nature living the dream

Indeed, but sometimes the need for the basics of life (like water) can become a major priority and parking areas like the one at VT can feel a long way from nature.
That said, I would recommend anyone to do it. It was a life-changing experience for me.
ski holidays
Super Eagle, I can confirm that we have a special place for parking motorhomes here which has loos and showers, water and waste disposal. I should think you have to pay. Many people park in the various car parks and seem to get away with it. There are also campsites with hook up etc just a bit down the road from the resort. I know of at least 2 campsites in Bourg d'Oisans (acces to both ADH & LDA) which are open in winter.

Does anyone know why it's OK to park up motorhomes in various spots but not carvans? As a previous caravan resident I found that most annoying.

BTW I had 2 winters in a caravan here, but it was on the official campsite with hook up and most of the civilised necessities.
ski holidays
Super Eagle, I've found these useful:

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/index.php
http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/travel/france.htm
http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/travel/european_info.htm
http://www.motorhome-list.org.uk/skiing.htm
ski holidays
Thanks Masque

I have check out a couple of the links and there is some excellant advice to be had.

Although I thought I was fairly clued up as to what to expect I can see my planning is going to have to be more organised.

Originally I was hoping to just go where ever my heart took me.
snow report
Super Eagle, Think I've found my perfect winter camper . . .

I want it!!!
ski holidays
Off to Germany tomorrow night to look at/maybe buy a camper for this winter:

My heart says this:

and that’s just the en-suite Shocked (you don’t even have to empty the toilet tank, there’s an on-board incinerator!)

Livingroom’s not bad either, I’ve stayed at chalets that don’t come even close

My head says this:

with a bucket on a nail outside.

Let’s hope I can find something in between. Have fun folks see you at the week-end.
snow report
The small French resort of Les Saisies has two areas for campers - the Caravaneige has hookups, and good piste access. From next winter there will be lift access to Notre Dame de Bellecombe and the rest of the Arly valley area, which has some good and varied ski-ing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy