Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much wind in Scotland is too much?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We booked for Boxing Day night at Perth Travelodge a while back (£19) - on the basis that we would stay there either before or after skiing Cairngorm or Glenshee.....weather permitting and thinking that if the forecast was truly horrendous we could write off the hotel money and not bother.

Of course the light winds of recent days now look like giving way to a 50mph blast - on Boxing Day Shocked :

We'll wait until nearer the time to decide - but how much wind have fellow snowHead managed to withstand while on the slopes? (Cue curry and copious beer jokes rolling eyes....) I seem to recall, from previous experience, saying that about 30mph was as much as I ever wanted to endure in future.... Puzzled Mind I think that was a headwind - so direction will be all important....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict, I think the problem with Glenshee and Cairngorms could be the condition of the access road given the amount of snow we have lying around just now. Take your drinking shoes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict, I regularly ski Cairngorm , Lecht and Glenshee. I think it is not so much the wind you can withstand but a) what blows the poma guiders off the rails preventing uplift and b) as scotia, says drifting snow that cuts road access and in fairness to snow plough drivers everywhere can fill in rapidly again just after ploughing.

Years ago I was on the Lecht when they blew the siren to warn peeps to get off the mountain quick , into their cars and down away from the blizzard hit centre. It was a struggle for many and some got stuck , so I clear off when it gets too bad. In my experience it gets very bad before the resorts abandon ski-ing if people can get there.

Years ago in my innocence I thought in a big 4WD I could get through deep snow. Err no. Car rides up on a wall of snow leading to 45 mins of digging out.
I hope however you enjoy what you find as I like ski-ing in Scotland and when there is no snow we go walking. Spectacular scenery , peace , quiet and remote.

John
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I hope however you enjoy what you find as I like ski-ing in Scotland

If we get skiing we will like it - we're Scotland veterans. Already had two Cairngorm trips this season and managed 10 visits between April and June last 'winter.' Very Happy

I was just wondering how bad anyone else has endured. Winterhighland is now suggesting that the windspeed could possibly reach 130mph Skullie in coming days......So looks like we may not bother with the trip Sad .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even if they let you on the mountain being dragged up the hill in the face of a stinging gale isn't much fun.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Even if they let you on the mountain being dragged up the hill in the face of a stinging gale isn't much fun.
Or skiing into it......eg barely moving down the White Lady & trying to convince yourself that you are having fun and it was worth a 600 mile round trip.... Confused

Anyway, we're cheered by the news that Yad Moss is open tomorrow and Weardale was open today - we will make do with them if they are open, as both are about 75 mins away (as opposd to 5 hours).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have fun Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i've been to the lecht when the car park attendants were getting folk to turn their cars in the car park 90 degrees into the wind/downwind as they were concerned of cars tipping over Shocked Shocked

we still ripped it proper sick Cool (well 2 bacon butties and 2 teas each before bailing out! Laughing )

tis only a wee blow
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
barry, I have vivid memories of waiting for clearance to leave Cairngorm one day that the mountain was evacuated a couple of years ago and the unique rocking sensation as our car was blown sideways across the icy Cas car park by a few inches with each violent gust. Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
80mph is the limit for uplifting people by the Funicular, but overhead conditions or the road often put the brakes on things before that. But there were a couple of days last season with just the Funicular and Shuttle Bus for uplift and the whole mountain open - standing up without your planks on was well neigh impossible in the Ptarmigan Bowl, but the Ciste Gully was epic (and sheltered) all the way to the Carpark!

For the Tows and Chairlifts wind direction is almost as important as speed, surface lifts massively more prone to problems in cross winds than tail or head winds. Pomas can usually get away with operating in much higher wind speeds when their quiet than they are busy, but overall >40-45mph has potential to cause issues on the surface lifts if it's across the line. H&S has pretty much put an end to the days when fitters sit on towers in 70mph gales waiting for the next derailment! wink

One thing though, correct use of the lifts in high winds is even more important, a common cause of derailment on up-lines is folk drifting out from the up-line with the wind. If everyone stays under the line it's worth a good bit more margin in terms of wind limits!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

80mph is the limit for uplifting people by the Funicular Shocked

It's never been anywhere near that quick when I've been on it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Trip off.......Up at 4am this morning with a view to leaving at 4.30 for the 4.5 -5 hour drive to Cairngorm or Glenshee.

However, Winterhighland was still reporting an uncertain weather forecast, with the possibility of pre-dawn storm force winds - so we decided not to potentially waste £80 on diesel & went back to bed.

Got up (again) this morning to check the Cairngorm website. What happened next?? Clear skies, all tows scheduled - and wind at 30mph max, that's what Mad .

Totally gutted.....Sad

As per OP, we're booked at Perth Travelodge tonight - so planning on driving up there late pm and skiing tomorrow. I bet I can guess what tomorrow's weather's gonna be like rolling eyes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mountainaddict, that's a shame as today was actually looking OK out east. Not bluebird but not nasty either.

For short term planning these days I almost exclusivly use the NAE. This only goes to 2 days out but is a higher resolution combined model, updated every 6 hours that merges data from lots of different supercomputer model sources. It lets you see the useful stuff like surface & upper air temperatures, surface and mile high wind direction and strength, cloud cover at different levels, precipitation intensity and type of precipitation expected (rain/snow etc). It's the base model that the Met Office tend to look to for forecasting whether it will rain or snow in Manchester tomorrow morning etc.

It's probably worth you having a click around the different fields in the NAE paramater box on the left here to suss out the next couple of days ... http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=uv85&HH=6&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0&PERIOD=&WMO=

Remember that under this impending Atlantic front, there is more margin for error even just a day or two out than we've grown used to under the blocked regime of late.

Edit 3.00 pm ... Maybe yours wasn't such a bad decision anyway as it looks like the mountain may have effectively closed early with the website reporting all the Ciste side lifts off due to wind & nobody visible on the WH webcams around funi middle station or WL either. From what you can see it's looking pretty bleak now.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy