Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

transfers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hey guys

off to les arcs end of jan and have managed to source flights from either gatwick or stanstead to Grenoble for under 40 quid return. (ideally i know its best to go from Chambery but flights were almost triple!)

anyway, forgetting price, is getting from Grenoble to les arcs a stupid plan?

using bens buses we can get return transfers for 75gbp per person.

has anyone used them before?

thanks!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just hire a car - puts you in control around time and if there is 4 of you will save money. Never liked the idea of others fixing transport as they always seem to leave 2 hours before any sane person normally would and then get you to the airport 2 hours before take off. From Grenoble Airport, it's motorway/main road until you get near the resort. Car hire pick up at Grenoble is dead easy. I use www.travelsupermarket.com to book.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jimmi85, do a search on here; I think you'll find quite a few references to ben's buses
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another vote for hiring a car. It's a dinky little airport so the car hire place is right outside, and the route is mostly a doddle. As I recall, there's one motorway junction you have to watch for, otherwise it's easy - just print some maps before you go. We got to Bourg St Maurice in under two hours on a Saturday morning in early February.

I was always dead set on Chambery until we went to Grenoble; there's really not much in it. The extra 40 miles or so is all motorway.

We booked our car through Sleazyjet, got a great deal.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hiring a car was initially an option, yes it works out cheaper and does give us more flexibility. however, having never driven a) abroad before and b) in heavy snow i dont think its a good idea.

i remember going to livigno a few years back on the bus, and was scared stiff as the road was barley wide enough with a sheer drop down the mountain to one side!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, everyone has to start somewhere, and having had my first French driving experience coming off a ferry in Le Havre, I can tell you that coming out of Grenoble Airport would be a considerably more pleasant introduction to it!

Seriously, it's not a big deal at all - takes a few minutes to adjust to left hand drive, and you'll be concentrating more than normal on smaller roads. But on motorways there's little difference other than people pass you on the left. Just nominate someone to help you navigate.

You're only likely to encounter snow on the road up to the resort, and the road up to Les Arcs isn't bad at all in terms of width/precipices etc. There's a big area at the bottom to stop and put your snow chains on (request them when you book the car). Once you've got them on there's little option but to go slow; driving with them on is easy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jimmi85, Done that route a few times and agree that the rental is a good option.

Some tips if you do choose to hire:

Grenoble rentals is busy especially when there are 'deals' from Slezy or whoever on offer. So make sure that one of your party goes to the rental Q: the others pick up the bags, and then join them. Frankly, we waited longer at the desk than it took us to drive to the resort 1st time. Since then, we've changed our modus operandi.
Second time, our driver was back at the exit doors with the car as we appeared...

You turn left at the roundabout outside the airport, (remembering to go around the 'bout the other way, under the main road first and not the wrong way up the exit slip from the other side...) and its a dual carriageway to the motorway which will get you practiced on driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Join the motorway, head for Grenoble ( you are about 30km the wrong side of it when you land) then Chambery, Albertville, Bourg. V straightforward, and tolls only about €10 iirc.

Supermarket stop at the bottom of the Arcs access road to stock up will probably save enough money versus the 'hill' prices to make it worthwhile having your own transport anyway.

Make sure you have winter tyres: chains are rarely needed on the Arcs road (but are a requirement), usually only when actually snowing and the Gendarmes are about. As above, road is not a narrow twisty scarey one, even my wife is happy driving it, and she has trouble crossing things like the Severn Bridge because of the edges.

Coming back Grenoble is a bit of a bug, I usually end up going wrong, staying too long on the m-way ( it just feels wrong turning South on the ring road when you want to go North West!) and driving through the centre of town... which is OK the second time... If you have a portable satnav with you it can be a godsend.

When filling up at end of trip, petrol now available at the supermarket opposite the airport - when you come off the aforementioned roundabout junction don't turn right into airport, go around 3/4 and it is on your right. Don't pay stoopid prices at the hire desk.

Only downside - where you staying in Arcs? - the car parks can be differing prices: some free (outdoors), some €88 a week (inside) . Can be a bit ouch.

HTH

Jim
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy