Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis to get Atomic metron B5, Volkl Supersport 6?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I was considering buying a new pair of skis for the winter but I find it kinda hard to decide what to get. There are so many differrent types!

I've been skiing since I was 3 but never really cared much about what i skied on, but I kinda wanna upgrade my gear for the winter.

I though Id get something proper that could last a while, and I've been looking at the atomic metron b5 and the volkl superski 6, but i have absolutely no idea what to get, and as its quite alot of money if would be a shame to buy a pair of skies i though were rubbish.

I like allround skiing, off piste, moguls, jumping, step hills sharp turns the lot.

So if anyone wanna help me out and give me some advice that would be fantastic!

Im sorry if this questions has been asked a 1000 times!

Take care

Trond
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
coops, Hi Trond, welcome to snowHeads.

I've recently switched from Volkl 5 stars to the Metron B5's. I'm 175cm, 85kg & a high int/adv level. I loved my 168cm 5 stars as on-piste carving skis & tried the new 6 stars, also in 168cm, for a couple of hours in La Rosiere in March on firm/hard early morning pistes. No doubt about it, it's a great ski - just like the 5 star only more. Being stiffer I found it harder work for short radius turns but really quick & stable in GS turns. Great edge hold on ice just like the 5. Although I didn't try it off-piste (lack of new snow & what was left was pretty crusty & tracked out), with it having the same sidecut & radius as the 5 star I don't think it would fare any better really - which for me is not really enough floatation. Fine for the occasional off-piste excursion but if you want to do more off-piste then there's a better choice.

IMO that better choice if you want a true 50/50 on/off-piste all rounder is the B5. I've posted plenty of threads re my B5's. Do a search (click on 'User Facilities' at top left of this page) & enter Atomic Metron B5 & spyderjon & you'll get plenty of info from me & other B5 fans.

Also the following link to Epicski is a must for all prospective B5 owners. The author ssh, who also posts on snowHeads, is 'the' B5 guru:
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=22186&highlight=Metron
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers m8!

I've heard the B5's are pretty heavy? What do you think?

Also, Im 6"6, so I was wondering what size to get...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
k, I read the review, so their not really ideal skis to do parallel skiing with, you need a wide stance. Thats abit of a shame cos i quite like the zipper line feet togeather (with quick turns down a steep hill)

Any thoughs on that?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
coops, welcome. In my opinion (I picked up ssh's Mb5s), yes they are heavy. He seems to manage tho.

It is starting to sound as though you'd really like a mogul-capable mid-fat or lite-fat powder ski? Something along the lines of a Dynastar 6200/8000 perhaps?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah I looked at the dynastar range, I tried some dynastar skis way back and liked them, but I want to be able to do parallel skiing (as I've put alot of effort into doing it properly as I grew up wink seems abit of a shame to revert to carving (thought i have tried it) I enjoy doing short and sharp turns down steep hills and of piste or on the moguls (which is always nice on ur knees wink )

But thanks for your help guy!

Comprex
Are the Dynastar legend 8000 strictly carving or?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
coops wrote:
I've heard the B5's are pretty heavy? What do you think?

Also, Im 6'6", so I was wondering what size to get...

Yes they're very heavy but unless you're cheating a bit & lifting the inside ski you just don't notice it. If your planning to do some hiking for more than 10/15 mins then either strap 'em to your pack or hire a chopper!

That extra weight helps them plough through crud & spring snow with no problems at all. The new 05/06 model is half a kilo lighter per ski than the 04/05 due to lighter bindings. The ad blurb says that the dimensions have changed slightly but the Epic guys with the new model say that the ski is unchanged.

Where they're awesome is short/medium radius carving (11m radius) & they're very stable at high speed - although they don't like being run flat so if you're schussing just keep them ever so slightly on edge.

How heavy are you? There's guys on Epic in the 230lb range on the 162's! Look up the Metron scale & enter your weight, ability & preferred turn shape to give your correct length. If you're between sizes go down as they're meant to be skied short.

The ski is certainly designed for a modern 'hip width stance' & carving technique but they also skid well although you have to be precise. I can perform braquage drills no problem with them. I've being doing a few basic race training classes & for a 76mm ski underfoot they're pretty quick edge to edge.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
coops, the Legend 8000 are not strictly carving.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So, anyone have any suggestions for an excellent allround ski if you prefer parallel skiing (narrow stance)?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
coops, The Head race GS skis are excellent on piste skis for old style parallel skiing but they are heavy, correction very heavy, I'm not sure how they would perform off piste
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Atomic GS11 looks tempting, just make sure I dont buy them too long. Has anyone tried these out?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
coops,

Here we go again... There are fans of the B5 and others. I liked the arguements for the Metron but couldn't demo it in the Alpes..couldn't find it.

I would be interested in the b5 but next year I'm on Stockli stormriders XL which will do ALL you want. A comparable ski to that should be the 8000. I don't know how the b5 stacks up againsts these two but the Stockli accepts a more traditional style and has masses of grip. For me, a real all-mountain ski at home on steeps and ice. Can't be bad and defo' worth a look. Plenty of people here will vouch for both. You have to find them to try them
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
coops,

I tried severl pair last year. My friend and I hired two pairs a day for two days (volkl 6 star, Astomic SX10, Saloman, Atomic SX B5) The SX B5 is far the best alround ski, although being skier cross competition bred it takes a lot of skill to get the full benefit, and it will kick you if it catches you napping. However it is fast, versatile, agile, stable, quick edsge to edge, and gives you a
real rush. Ignore comments about weight, you don't notice, this is a great ski.

Regards

Bob
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bob, The SX B5 ski is not the same ski as the Metron B5.

The SX is 105-68-95 & 14.4m radius versus the Metron's 127-76-114 & 11m radius. I found the SX similar to the Volkl 6 star & it's probably an 80/20 on/off piste ski whereas the Metron is a true 50/50 ski offering far more off-piste float without IMO sacrificing any on piste performance.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree that the Metron is a 50/50 however. I found no problems using the Sx in powder. Given the variable nature of weather I've found it safer over the years you opt for a ski which leans more towards the piste as my major ski. Where exceptional powder exists I've in the past hires something a little more bouyant for a day or two. But still the smart approach is to try several manufacturers skis over a couple of days. most resort hire shops will let you swap their high end skis over a couple of days without penalty (unless you wreck them of course). Choose your favourite resort and give it a go.

Bob
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy