Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peak to Peak Gondola - Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Woo hoo! - my tickets for Whistler in Jan arrived in the post today!

Just looking at the Peak to Peak gondola on the piste map, and wondering how much benefit it will be to us. We were there in 2008 and didn't feel that the lack of such a facility was a problem. Any comments from anyone who has used it?

Of course, I want to try it out at least once, for the experience!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We used the P2P loads when we were there in 2009. The lower runs down to the village frankly aren't that interesting and (depending on the time of year) not that pleasant to ski. We often woudn't have switched mountains if we knew it meant having to deal with them an extra time during the day. It also saved a lot of time sitting on chair lifts which is always a bonus...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were there in 2007 (and will also be there in Jan '11) - likewise, didn't feel the lack of it then. We rarely, if ever, skied on both mountains in one day.

Personally I think they'd have been better off spending the money on upgrading the chairlifts - considering how busy it can get I was amazed to discover nothing bigger than a 4 man chair.

But P2P is an impressive feat of engineering and we'll definitely do it for the experience at least once.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was very sceptical of the benefits of the P2P when it was being mooted and built but I have to say I am a convert in that being able to cross over from one mountain to the other and hopefully get some great views whilst doing so is a definite plus.

Like others, before it was built, I never skied the two separate mountains in one day, not least because of the faffing about that was needed to get to the bottom (on crap snow)and then up again. Now it is a doddle. Quite often you can see better weather on the other one (it always seem better on the one you are not on) and now it is easy to go see and come back if you get it wrong

Give it a go and see how you get on.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Given the price of the lift pass, it's nice to see the positive posts. Looking forward to trying it out in February.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is a good place to eat you lunch ensuring maximum skiing time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agreed it is great for jumping across to the other mountain when the terrain you want to ski is in sunshine over there and you just would not go all the way down to go back up again. 20Mins and you are across. Normally not big queues apart from the silver cars that have the glass floors !

Still wish they had spent the money on more terrain or more throughput up some of the busy chairs. They are talking about opening up another 2000 acres if they build a Kyber lift over the back side.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
Given the price of the lift pass, it's nice to see the positive posts. Looking forward to trying it out in February.

ooh, you there in Feb too.? Drop me a line if you fancy a hook up!

Ive not been to Whistler before, but looking at maps, I reckon it will be really good for people (like me) setting off from Creekside as saves the bus into town so you can get straight up the mountain and not have to come down til end of day
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bitoffluff wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

When in Feb? We'll be there from Jan 22 to Feb 19.

My brother in law is already there, jammy so-and-so.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was out there this time last year and used it a few times. Definately worth doing on a clear day for the view alone (there were a few people doing just that, no skis, no boards, just up for the experience). It certainly gives you more options for skiing when conditions are better on one side or t'other.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whilst I was initially sceptical of its usefulness, now I live in Vancouver and parking close to the lifts in the village costs money (besides Creekside is nearer), I can appreciate it a bit more Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we lived in creekside and we just went up whistler and down into the village instead of bus (why pay for the bus ride when you could ski). the runs are icy but often quiet early on.
i haven't been on p2p so can't comment, but we found more than enough on any one mountain to occupy us for a day.
can see it's usefulness in busy afternoon periods though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ajrduff wrote:
bitoffluff wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

When in Feb? We'll be there from Jan 22 to Feb 19.

My brother in law is already there, jammy so-and-so.

im escaping work to get away fora whole month feeding my addiction to the white stuff, woohoo!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like Malcolm1, I was sceptical before it was built. But we have used it a lot. In spring, we would often used to ski Whistler in the morning, head down to the Longhorn for lunch, then head up Blackcomb for soft bumps. The P2P has made that all a lot easier and quicker.

And in summer, it's pretty useful too...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stuarth wrote:
Whilst I was initially sceptical of its usefulness, now I live in Vancouver and parking close to the lifts in the village costs money (besides Creekside is nearer), I can appreciate it a bit more Happy

There are still two free parking lots (5&6?) but you have to get up there early! Free shuttle to the lift is handy for the lazy...
ski holidays
Free parking in 5&6, but that does not look like for much longer as they seem to have misplaced $1,000,000 estimated parking fees. They must have been a little daft to think people would not use the free parks which are only a few hundred yards extra away in stead of the pay parking.

We get the shuttle up there anyway and the local bus service is great if you need to go anywhere that you can't walk to.

Now that the Mountain company is independent again from a huge Venture Capital vulture maybe the Village (RMOW) can get together and get a cohesive plan for locals wanting to use the mountain. After all you do pay a lot for a season pass - but they are cheap compared to a week pass. Sorry if this is getting off the subject of P2P.
ski holidays
The P2P is actually really useful - I thought at the time it was a waste of money, and like others have mentioned, the money would have been better spent on new/upgrades to lifts. Now I use the P2P almost daily, mainly because I park in Creekside but prefer to ski Blackcomb.

Oh, and to clarify - the P2P is now included in the lift price (initially it was an 'add-on')

Re: parking - lots 4 & 5 are free in the village
- lots 6,7 & 8 at Base 2 (blackcomb gondi mid-station) are free
- Creekside parkade is free

If you want to see where they are, check out my 3D map of Whistler - it uses Google earth, which requires a download and installation.

http://whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/trailmap/
snow report
The P2P isn't perfectly necessary but sure is handy; and a nice service as they go!
snow report
parlor wrote:
stuarth wrote:

There are still two free parking lots (5&6?) but you have to get up there early! Free shuttle to the lift is handy for the lazy...

Yes I have to admit that the walk from lots 3/4 is too much for me wink
I'm surprised that the Creekside parking is still free as that's the only proper car park, and where a lot of the Vancouver crowd probably park - guess it too won't be for long Sad
latest report
Well I've been here for nine days now, and have to go home tomorrow Sad

Only used Peak to Peak once, and that was when we were up Blackcomb and visibility suddenly improved. We hadn't done Peak to Creek yet, and used the P2P to get across. And yes, we waited especially for the glass bottomed cabin! Pretty impressive views and an amazing feat of engineering.

I still reckon I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there, and it didn't seem to be particularly well used. Having spoken to a few mountain guides and ski instructors, they seem to believe the money could have been much better spent elsewhere.
snow report
I do have to agree that P2P is handy but the investment could have been used for much better things alibongo42, where the lift queues ok.

They are now talking about opening up another 2000 acres with a lift out over the back of Whistler mountain. An upgrade to of some 4 person chairs to 6 would be more handy on the weekends.
snow conditions
Leaving tomorrow snowHead

Looking forward to sampling P2P, along with everything else.
ski holidays
Jake43 wrote:
They are now talking about opening up another 2000 acres with a lift out over the back of Whistler mountain.

Source?

Years ago there was a rumour flying round that a new base was to be put in at Function, with runs down to it off the back of the Peak. Never happened...

An additional issue is that that side of the mountain is all south-ish facing.
latest report
Jake43 wrote:
I do have to agree that P2P is handy but the investment could have been used for much better things alibongo42, where the lift queues ok.

They are now talking about opening up another 2000 acres with a lift out over the back of Whistler mountain. An upgrade to of some 4 person chairs to 6 would be more handy on the weekends.

I'd just like to say noooo, and noooooo to those ideas!
- Whilst getting more people up shortens the lift line, it also means more people up (been to the Tignes/Val D junction?). Also I kind of like the back side of Whistler/Kyber Pass the way it is (ie not many people there)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy