Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gales for English Channel Thursday and Friday?

Poster: A snowHead
geetee, yep tunnel early on Sunday, think around 6.30. You?

Think will pop a couple of sleeping bags in the roofbox.

pam w, good luck with your onward journey

bar shaker, good luck too
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Lou. I'm off early tomorrow. A couple of days at the in laws in Indre then over to Tignes. According to Meteo France, if I can get across early or worst ways on time, I may beat the snow bearing weather front.

Hope your trip runs smoothly and Merry Christmas everyone.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No delays at the tunnel this morning. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bar shaker, Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are now in Les Saisies, having met up in Geneva airport with son whose train up from Genoa was on time. Only problem today was the heaviest traffic I've ever seen between Geneva airport and the border - it took us a good hour. Once past Bardonnex the traffic was heavy but moving fine. I have to go back into the airport tomorrow afternoon for the rest of the family, so keeping fingers crossed. Chamonix meteo forecasting a fair bit of snow overnight. snowHead

Just heard 15cms of snow expected across northern France tomorrow. Sad

bon voyage, everybody!

We had plenty of time in hand today so drove over the Jura to Ferney Voltaire - was very pleasant. Stopped for lunch at a "Routiers" caff. 4 courses and an exceptionally good cup of coffee. 12 euro each. Who says France is expensive?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ferries delayed a bit - I got on the one scheduled 1 before mine but it left about the time mine was supposed to go anyway.

The "gales" were more "blustery" on my interpretation of the Beaufort scale. Enough swell to let you know it wasn't a millpond, but crossing was not at all rough.

Aachen-Brussels was snowy - down to 1 lane with 2 black tarmac stripes showing. Rest of the way from Frankfurt-Calais was clear.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I haven't brought myself to look at Northern France forecast today Shocked

Good luck with next airport run.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We just heard from friends who drove home from our apartment yesterday that all went well till they were 180 miles south of Calais, then they did 25/30 mph the whole way, and he said people were crashing everywhere. They were the ones who spent two hours stationary south of Calais on the way down, last Friday/Saturday, so they had bad luck with their journey, though as they had good snow here and got engaged during the holiday they are happy bunnies, and now home for Christmas.

I think today's airport run could be fairly grim actually, with continuing snow, likely very heavy traffic and a 10 month old baby on the return trip. The only thing I'm not really bothered about is driving in the snow!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lou, we must be having a lie-in then - 8.50 train for us. I just couldn't envisage us getting up any earlier!! I've bought one of those snug rug things for the wee one so she can be all cosy. Sleeping bags might not be such a bad idea! How long does it normally take you from Calais if you get a clear run? I've checked the forecast for Sunday and it looks like mostly sunny/sunny intervals all the way. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
geetee, 8 hours.

Just checked our time and it will hopefully be the 6.50. OH has gone out with his car and I'm getting cross as until the roofbox is on I can't start organising and I've got to go to work in an hour Toofy Grin If you fancy a meet up next week, drop me a PM. We will probably get PDS passes this time.

As it stands at the moment, it sounds quite likely that the Calais-Troyes bit is going to be the slowest. Lots of supplies packed and enough fresh food for first couple of days so won't stress about having to get to Carrefour on the way up.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lou, I'll PM you my mobile and email address - it would be lovely to meet up. Happy We've got Morzine/Les Gets season passes again and will mostly be around either Morzine or Les Gets next week as we'll be picking up little geetee from the top of Pleney after her lessons.

Good luck with the packing!! I'm just about to do some now.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good luck with your journeys. I had to put chains on in the first quarter of a mile at mid-day - the "wrong sort of snow", I guess (rather wet) and despite 4 excellent snow tyres and absolutely NO extraneous revving it just was not going to get up the hill without them. So we chained for the first chunk of the journey. People who say you never need chains on snow tyres are just lucky, I guess. I only put them on once in the whole of last season, and that was a bit of a "belt and braces" effort as I could feel I was losing traction. Today there was no way at all the car was getting up that hill without them and I noticed a very high proportion of the vehicles around were chained. Then the flight was 3 hours late into Geneva. But the journey back, though very snowy, was fine - last 15 miles behind a snow plough. No need for chains - temperature much colder, snow firmer, and I even managed to get the car up the steep hill and into the garage without chains, though only just. Can relax now, few glasses of red wine.

snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Travelled across Calais/Dover this morning. Not sure of wind speed but skipper advised that conditions were force 6-7. Crossing was quite smooth really, so would handle winds a lot stronger than the forecast 27-29 mph. Got there early and was put on boat immediately, bargain!. Expected boat to be full but was quite empty really.

Hope others got back OK.

Merry Christmas
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, well done, we needed chains even with tyres once last year to get up a hill, it does happen, Merry Christmas to you snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
At tunnel now chaos being directed all over place several cancellations
ski holidays
Lou, fingers crossed for you Smile
ski holidays
Oh dear, the disruptions continue. Best of luck, Lou.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy