Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre _ taking own skiboots on plane

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

After hours of reading up, we have decided to go Montgenevre end of Jan (1 beginner and 3 intermediates seems Mont-G is a nicer (clamer) place than Val D etc - sat least we shou;d be able to find each other as not milions of runs!)

2 questions - has anyone been MontG and what did they think about it, We are going to book the Le Hammeau Des Airelles appts which look nice

Whats the golder rule about taking skiboots on a Thomson flight? - do you have to pay extra or can you just carry them on?
thanks Razz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jon Ford, went to montgenevre many moons ago, third week on snow I think, really enjoyed it

You should be fine to take your ski boots as long as your baggeg is under 20kg total - check this thread for more info,

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70743&highlight=
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

should be fine to take your ski boots as long as your baggeg is under 20kg total

I think the original question may relate to the old chestnut of ski boots in hand luggage as it says:-

Quote:

do you have to pay extra or can you just carry them on?

I've taken ski boots on a Thomson flight in my hand luggage a couple of times Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jon Ford wrote:
2 questions - has anyone been MontG and what did they think about it, We are going to book the Le Hammeau Des Airelles appts which look nice

Went about 20 years ago - it was an ugly dump then and I doubt it's much prettier now but a great skiing area for your group. Take a trip to Italy - quite an adventure but within the scope of adventurous 2nd/3rd year skiers

If you've served in the Army (or done time) you will be well prepared for the standard of s/c accomodation - but perhaps I am being too harsh and the Stalag I stayed in has been condemned or collapsed.

Hammeau Des Airelles = Hamlet of Cranberries. I wonder if you'll want to Linger?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have done a week in Claviere over the border. We spent as much time skiing in Montgenevre as we did in Claviere.
I don't know what the accomodation's like but I enjoyed the skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There shouldn't be any problem taking boots as part of a 20 kg luggage allowance unless you are taking a great pile of unnecessary clothes. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we stayed there last easter, i guess 4 of you in a 4 berth will be ok, but a bit of a pain using the bedsettee, the apts are onlt 3 years old and come with everything you need, dishwasher tabs cloths etc. there is a ski locker for you room in the garage underneath. Try booking your slkis online with Twinner its the shop the tour ops use but you cansave loads and get better skis its only 30m away. The beginner will have to walk or bus to the centre for his lessons first day or 2, but after that if your up early for when lifts open he will be able to go up Tremplin and then come back down Le Lac run to the meeting point at the centre. Half hour in the pool at the apts after skiing takes the aches and pains away.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If there are 4 of you in a 4 berth you'd better take the minimum amount of baggage and no suitcases or other hard containers - those places sometimes have nowhere to stow them.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:

Went about 20 years ago -

so that makes you unable to post anything of any help then as what you say is totally unjustified and 100% wrong.

Sure, there are more picture box places, but Montgenevre has at least a little bit of charm and the skiing is excellent, especially for intermediates. there's been a lot of development in the area in recent years and it's a cracking place to go for a ski holiday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
well said shoogly i did Montgenevre in 1988 and again last year
the skiing is great the prices not to bad for meals and beer
the 4 berth apts are very spacious the have seperate toilet to bathroom, a large walkin cupboard, and the wardrobes are designed to take cases on top.
but a top tip would be to pay the under occupancy and have a 6 berth then you don't need to make up the bed settee.
The new development in the Italien end of resort is great fro ski in/out and a fraction of the price of the big resorts
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cockerhoop, andshoogly, thank goodness for a bit of realistic and up to date posting - we are going to stay in the same apartments in the middle of January
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to Montgenevre last year in january, an absolutely fabulous resort for ALL levels of skier I would say. Done 15 years myself in quite a few different resports, probably the best 'put together' ski area I have been to.

Beginners have a perfect learning ground right in the centre (specific kids area too - fenced in Toofy Grin Toofy Grin ).

Intermediates are absolutely spoiled for choice, some superb runs in Montgenevre, and if you're able to ski red runs ok, then the choice of the whole Milky Way is endless.

Advanced have some half decent black runs in Montgenevre and more around the Milky Way, also some good off piste to be had, particularly good up above Claviere.

Skier Cross park is good fun on the Chalvet side, nice natural half pipe up that side too.

As previously mentioned as long as your group are able to get down red runs, then definately ski over to Claviere, then Sestriere, maybe even Sauze, we got to Sauze and back in a day (my OH was only second week on skis - Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley ), some amazing runs up above Sestriere, links there and back are all good. Maybe one small tricky bit going from France into Italy, above Claviere, its marked as red on the map, but when we were there it was basically a small narrow track, followed by about 100 yards of unpisted stuff, it's fine though if you just take care. It was side splittingly funny when we went down that bit - carnage - but not in a bad way, just skiers/boarders everywhere - people who are not used to unpisted snow, seriously though its not steep, and is actually really good fun.... Laughing

Night life is a tad limited, but we found some ace bars with great euro techno type music, prices were reasonable too.

All in all, I think your group will love it, enjoy.....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We stayed in le hameau in March in a 6 person appartment. I would upgrade to one of those if possible. Our appartment had a king size bed in one room and bunks in the other room. Bunk room very small. There was a sofa bed in the sitting room but we didn't need to use it. The kitchen was well equipped. The appartment had a balcony overlooking the pool and lovely mountain view. The pool was lovely but spa area very small. You need to book on arrival. The appartment looked new and was very good value.

There is a nice green run from the top of the mountain for the beginner in your party. I'd recommend they book in with Apeak ski school who are very good. TO will probably offer you ESF but you could look Apeak up online and book directly. The Apeak lessons start 15 mins later which is another advantage. The tremplin lift did not open early enough to ski to ski school last year so the beginner would need to get the yellow bus which comes very frequently around ski school time. The intermediates would only have to walk a few metres to the piste and on to a blue run.

We thought Montgenevre was an excellent resort. A good variety of runs at all levels, two new telemix lifts and we enjoyed skiing over to claviere. When we went at the end of march the snow cover was a lot better than other resorts and the slopes were nearly empty. It was one of our best skiing holidays. Only drawbacks were lack of mountain restaurants in MG, more in Claviere, and we were a bit disappointed with the meals we had out in Montgenevre.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i have some pics posted on the gallery section of this site
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just had a week in LaTania, ski boots inside my smallish suitcase and all my clothes for the week, salopettes, slippers, gloves etc, 18kg, my hand luggage was a small bag with a couple of books in it, depends whether you want to ski or go on a fashion parade. If you take your own skis, theres a lot else you can get in a ski bag too.
snow conditions
By the end of 2nd day of lesson the beginners should be able to go up Chalmettes lift then down to Les Gontrans right to the top, from there its Sagnes green run then this joins Le Lac green all the way back to resort centre, a good 4km run for them to enjoy, i think this was what Snowymum was on about, by day 3 they will be then going up Prarial lift and down the blue La Vallon down to Tremplin lift, where they can get back across to Le lac and back to the Chalmettes lift again, a very enjoyable 1 hour circuit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy