Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tragic snowboarding accident in Cork city, Ireland

Poster: A snowHead
The local community is in shock after a teenage girl died in a tragic snowboarding accident in Cork city (Ireland) yesterday. An investigation is underway following the fatal accident, which happened when the snowboard, carrying four teenagers, went out of control and hit a tree at Frankfield Golf Club near Douglas....Two of the teenagers, a boy and a girl, are in a serious but stable condition at Cork University Hospital. The second boy was discharged overnight.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/community-in-shock-after-girls-snowboarding-death-in-cork-486243.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm very sorry for all concerned that this tragic event occurred, but is this 'snowNews'?
This was an awful thing that happened, but it has nothing to do with snowsports - apart from the fact that there were four people riding a snowboard designed to be ridden by one person.
I just think that this is a very sad snow related accident, not a snowboarding accident, and we shouldn't be referring to it as such.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Totally agree with youspurs1, The newspaper got the headline wrong too
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Disagree with the pair of you.

Anything snow related and certainly anything involving snowboard or skis is 'snownews' so far as I am concerned.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd also agree, they were sledgin, it just happened to be on a snowboard. Not a nice time for the families though, My heart goes out to them
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A tea tray is one thing, but a snowboard is designed for zero friction along its length, i.e. high speed. The only means of braking is to edge it, which can only be done if you're one person standing on it. Otherwise your only option is to fall off - digging your feet in soon becomes impractical.

It's tempting, but I wouldn't sledge on a snowboard. You may as well try sliding down a cliff face on your backside. Or cycle down a steep hill without any brakes.

Someone, who didn't understand snowboards (or was negligent), allowed these youngsters to use a device in a way it was never designed to be used.

A snowboard is not a sledge.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
crosbie, yeah, nice, thoughtful and very understanding.
Why don't you write a letter explaingin the 'physics' of a snowboard to their parents?

This is a terrible accident and my heart goes out to all the families concerned. GWS!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
it's terribly sad - especiialy at the festive seasons - and her folks must be devastated.

part of me can't help thinking that she'd be up for the Darwin Awards, though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sledging scares the living daylights out of me, even on a proper sled. Poor families. Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can be too cynical about these things.. it wasnt a "snowboarding" accident nor a "snowsport" accident which is where the papers are wrong. It is a tragic accident that happened whilst someone was enjoying the snow,.. It's just sad news..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think this accident shows the cluelessness of people when it comes to snow. I have seen many crazy sledders this year in Ireland mainly sliding on signs, plastic bags, canoes etc, none of which have brakes. If someone wasn't killed like this they would be killed walking back up the hill as someone hurtles down.

I built a decent sized kicker in my local park a few weeks ago only for foolish sledders to think it was fair game, some people will never learn...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Ross wrote:
foolish sledders to think it was fair game, some people will never learn...

video cameras and youtube !!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They were kids.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Being young - while fun - is hazardous.

We all used to go poly-bagging when we were kids - fill up a thick bin bag with snow, sit walk up to the top of the hill in the park, slide down at ferocious speed and in a very good year go right through the hedge at the bottom and across the A road behind!

Happy days... No point being overly maudlin about these type of accidents
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not sure what kind of 'investigation' really needs to be done, the golf course will probably get sued for not having 'no sledging' signs or something despite the fact they were probably trespassing. Also, these were not kids they were teenagers. If you are heading for a tree it's not like you are strapped in, bail out!

Life is not risk free.
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:
Being young - while fun - is hazardous.

We all used to go poly-bagging when we were kids - fill up a thick bin bag with snow, walk up to the top of the hill in the park, slide down at ferocious speed and in a very good year go right through the hedge at the bottom and across the A road behind!

Happy days... No point being overly maudlin about these type of accidents
snow report
An investigation is standard procedure when someone dies an unnatural death.

The girl who died was 13 years old. Might not have even reached puberty, and certainly not old enough to have done her GCSEs, let alone get a job, get married, vote, or generally have had much experience in life. She was a kid.

People moan about kids just wanting to sit indoors on facebook or the playstation... those kids were just getting out and doing the same sort of stupid stuff many of us did as kids (including trespassing on golf courses rolling eyes). It's really sad for her family, and the friends who survived, that she wasn't as lucky.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy