Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

will there be snow in Austria??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, Sounds silly, but in comparison to France, will there be good snow in Austria? Thinking of going 29th Jan or 5th Feb, Everyone raves on about france being snow-sure, but would austria be good snow then (I know you cant predict weather) Thinkin Soll, Elmau etc (somewhere with lots of runsm austrian feel to it but some bars etc to recoup after) (but somewhere that doesnt break the bank)
Just a bit reluctant to book austria when everyone recommends France.
Sorry about a silly question - just paranoid that if i book wrong country, may regret it/worry aout it till we get there
cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes

(silly and snow Wink)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Just a bit reluctant to book austria when everyone recommends France
By "everyone" you mean apart from most skiers from Germany, Holland, Austria and all places north, east and south of there of course. It's a running joke on this forum that people have only heard of France, can only think of France and only have knowledge of France. Maybe check out snow records on Snow Forecast if you really are
Quote:

paranoid
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jon Ford, try Schleswig-Holstein they have loads of snow and more coming! I'd leave the risky places alone if I were you Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Just a bit reluctant to book austria when everyone recommends France.

who is that 'everyone'?.... I want to have words.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Jon Ford, welcome to snowHead's !
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Everyone raves on about france being snow-sure

no they don't, or not if they've got the remotest bit of sense, and not on snowheads. ANYWHERE can have bad snow, or good snow - and you can take any daft statements such as "you will always be able to ski back to village level because there are snow cannons" with a pinch of salt.

Insofar as anywhere is snowsure, resorts with access to high altitude/glacier skiing will be snowsure. Tignes, Hintertux, etc etc etc.

If you go to a lower, pretty, more traditional village - whether in Austria, France or Italy - you are most certainly NOT guaranteed snow at village level, and that holds particularly true at the very beginning or end of the season.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Jon Ford, try Schleswig-Holstein they have loads of snow and more coming! I'd leave the risky places alone if I were you Laughing

MIght aswell book the premier inn next to the snow dome, snow sure for sure!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jon Ford, It´s not depends if it´s france or austria if there is good snow,, all is about the alltitude on the resort,,, If U are on a resort with lower alltitude,, in france austria or italy,, U perhaps need a little luck to have the perfect powdersnow,,,,
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Austrai is fantastic, coming from someone who spent first 10 years of skiing in France

Also, Went to Saalbach 4 or 5 years ago in march when there was grass up to mid-station - still had 4 days really good skiing there
Since then been back to Austria for all teh years in between and have had fantastic snow, even in low resort
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
freeheelskier wrote:
Jon Ford, It´s not depends if it´s france or austria if there is good snow,, all is about the alltitude on the resort,,, If U are on a resort with lower alltitude,, in france austria or italy,, U perhaps need a little luck to have the perfect powdersnow,,,,
Total tosh.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, I have skiing minimum 10 weeks for the last 32 year,,, I used to spend all the winterseason on my skis, so I hope that I have learn something,,,,, U are Total Toch,,,
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The minimum 10 weeks fore one winter,,,
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Laughing just wanted my 5000th post to be short and sweet (and accurate)

freeheelskier, latitude, longitude, proximity to the sea and from which direction the prevailing weather normally comes - all important (and there will be other factors like what surface is under the snow) but you can only see altitude.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, I don´t only see the altitude,, I have skiing on Hokkaido, Japan, On 400m level, with wondefull powder there usally are powder there,, and in North Norway, Lyngen, From 1300m down to 0m,,, In powder,, but think a little,,,, if the alltitude are higher, the snow are better,, I was not saying that it allways are bad snow at low altitude
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
freeheelskier, exactly, it's not just about altitude. I'm glad we were able to agree.

Is the comma key on your keyboard a bit sticky for any reason?
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, U know that I have right? ok,,,,,,,,,, Very Happy
snow report
Jon Ford, to better answer your question, it's really rare not to be able to ski down to resort level in places like Soll at that time of year.
ski holidays
freeheelskier, Bode Swiller, play nice boys Laughing Laughing

Never been skiing to Austria always wanted to go ever since I was a kid watching Ski Sunday with my Mum (the late great David Vine). Have heard of it, could probably even point it out on a map Laughing . Lots of bods on here recommend Austria and at long last I've persuaded the ski buddies to go. Off to St. Anton at the end of Feb. YAY!!! Laughing
latest report
halfhand wrote:
I was a kid watching Ski Sunday with my Mum (the late great David Vine).

Your Mum is the late, great David Vine? Curious!

Sorry, couldn't resist wink
snow conditions
freeheelskier, no you were only about 5% right. The original poster wasn't asking about perfect powder snow, he was asking about whether Austria was snowsure. You then decided to advise him that
Quote:

all is about the alltitude on the resort,,,
(with too many weirdo commas) and that advice was wrong as clarified by your very own post on the subject of Norway and Japan.

Didn't I meet you in Japan once?

snow conditions
Quote:

wanted to go ever since I was a kid watching Ski Sunday with my Mum (the late great David Vine)

Gosh. David Vine was your mum? who'd have thought it?

Jon Ford, to sum up, snow reliability is not a function of political boundaries, but rather a function of altitude, latitude, longitude, aspect, local geography, location of high and low pressure zones etc. And luck. But that's a good time of year to go. I've had some spells of terrible snow at that of year, once or twice (in France, as it happens, because that's where I ski these days) but it's unusual. Just like it's unusual for Gatwick airport to be closed by snow in mid December. But it happens.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
freeheelskier,

Didn't I meet you in Japan once?

Well the guy in the photo certainly has free heels! wink
latest report
rob@rar, pam w Hah Laughing and I'd already changed the order coz it didn't read right now it's even less right - not even wrong rolling eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing

Typing getting worse better stop and go out boozing Laughing
snow conditions
I picked up a French Ski Resort map at the ski show recently. I'm really confused, I can't find a resort called Austria on there anyway. Can someone point out where exactly in France it is please.
latest report
Colin B, Take exit 9 and a half off the white motorway just before the Chamonix exit wink
snow conditions
Austria's rubbish wink damn got 3 weeks skiing in Ski Amade to come this season..........
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I dont want to coment U again,
snow report
I must admitted I've never skied there before but I''m breaking my Austria "virginity" at St Anton at half term,,,,, Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3offthetee, Agreed. That's why I'm only going for three weeks this season.... instead of my usual five. Very Happy
latest report
I would wager money that there are more British holiday skier days lost to high winds, blizzards and high avalanche risk in high resorts above the tree line than due to inadequate snow in low resorts in the first week of february.
snow report
Nope, Austria is bleak and snowless, now bug off back to France and leave me alone with my fresh tracks!!
snow conditions
Quote:

bug off back to France

the question was asked by somebody who has never been to France; no need to be quite so rude. When people don't know the ski resorts very well it's understandable that they pick up some baseless generalisations, such as "France is snow sure" "Austria is cheap" "In early season the east is always snowier than the west" "The French are rude" "Austrian resorts are full of drunken yobs". "Mid March is late season". etc etc etc etc
latest report
pam w, i do believe clarky999, was being sarcastic, hence the
Quote:

leave me alone with my fresh tracks!!

Jon Ford, welcome to snowHead heads, yes there will be plenty of snow here in Austria wink
snow conditions
Jon Ford, Ellmau or Soll would both be fantastic choices, we had a great time there last New Year.

As for the low altitude, a couple of the village runs were closed due to lack of snow, but that's 700m, the main ski area is 1500m approx and was fine. But that was a month earlier than you're planning. The day we left there was a massive dump and all the village runs stayed open pretty much for the rest of the season.
snow conditions
kooky, yes, I had no doubt he was being sarcastic, but he was also rude (sarcasm often is) and it's not a very helpful response to someone new to the forum.
ski holidays
pam w, Do I really need to add an inane smiley to indicate banter?!
snow report
clarky999, YES!! Laughing Laughing rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
pam w,
Quote:

"Austria is cheap"

... it is!

Quote:

now bug off back to France
and get some skiing in... smile..smiley..rolly eys...giggle...etc..etc...
snow conditions
thanks everyone - didnt think it would kick off that much, but at least some postive reinforcement into booking austria came out of it! Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy